PDA

View Full Version : trainer rocking

Miranda
02-05-2011, 01:45 PM
Is the bike suppose to rock in the trainer? Or no? :confused:

DD was watching me test her out today and says, "oh, mom, you are really rocking back and forth!". I could surely tell on my lady bits as well.

I haven't been in the thing, or on my road bike, in several months (just spin class inside for me). So, I'm not sure if it needs to clamped in tighter to stop the rocking or not? Ops?

Oh, btw, getting the new yellow Conti trainer tire on was a total b*tch resulting in much bloodied knuckles, finally a trip to the shop, broken tire levers, and some choice words lol, zoiks:rolleyes:.

TYIA.

p.s. my trainer is a CycleOps Fluid 2, fwiw

OakLeaf
02-05-2011, 01:54 PM
Get a set of rollers ... that'll teach you to stop rocking.

Only half kidding.

Miranda
02-05-2011, 02:04 PM
Get a set of rollers ... that'll teach you to stop rocking.

Only half kidding.

Lmao...

Ok, seriously, after I got off the d*mn thing today I thought, gheez I really need to get me some rollers!

Especially now I'd feel bad after I killed myself getting the tire switched, and the shop guy too lol. BUT, I really did think, yea... rollers... hmm, also you don't hafta deal with the tire problem.

But, I have a fear of falling over in the rollers because of my crash injury shoulder. It still hurts me to a degree everyday. I tried to start riding again last summer, but the pain got so severe I had to give up. Hoping it might tolerate it better with time for this coming season, but idk.

OakLeaf
02-05-2011, 02:12 PM
Yeah, I hear you about the shoulder. Is it solid enough that you can lean on that arm? You could set up next to a wall, so if you feel like you're going to fall in that direction, you could catch yourself.

You can work one leg drills and/or high-RPM work on the trainer to help smooth out your pedal stroke.

Miranda
02-05-2011, 02:36 PM
Yeah, I hear you about the shoulder. Is it solid enough that you can lean on that arm? You could set up next to a wall, so if you feel like you're going to fall in that direction, you could catch yourself.

You can work one leg drills and/or high-RPM work on the trainer to help smooth out your pedal stroke.

Yea, the doc told me it's just a permanent impairment at this point. Just scar tissue holding the joint together (he chose not to do surgery). Tilting my head back pinched some nerve between the neck and shoulder, and some funky thing my arm went numb and completely weak. Had to ride home with it hanging down by my side on the bike outside. Pretty unsafe, ugh.

Well, one of my gym buddies said she learned the rollers in a bathroom doorway. Hmm, maybe I could pad the doorway as well lol. I'm kinda a gimpy sad mess since I crashed. But, gotta make the best of it.

The spin bikes are so heavy they rock no where of course. Was just googling around and saw this... omg, what a beautiful vid. Well, more so the guy outside... since we have 3foot snow on the ground atm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQz_u0Vc8Os

EDIT ADD: ok, watching this guy climb this hill outside on this vid just made me sit here at my pc and starting crying like a big baby... gawd I miss my hills outside like this... I wish my body would just cooperate. OK, done whining now, whew.

OakLeaf
02-05-2011, 02:57 PM
(((((Miranda)))))

Shoulder injuries are awful. I'm so sorry you have to go through this. :(

Miranda
02-05-2011, 04:47 PM
(((((Miranda)))))

Shoulder injuries are awful. I'm so sorry you have to go through this. :(

Thanks, OakLeaf... really appreciate that... there are far worse things in the big picture of life I know, but just yuck... ty:cool:.

marni
02-05-2011, 06:21 PM
you should always check and make sure the legs on the cycleops are fully and evenly spread out. I find that I have a tendancy to lift up on the trainer when I put the bike in and then forgetting to readjust the legs and only remember when I start rocking.

just a thought.

Miranda
02-06-2011, 09:46 AM
you should always check and make sure the legs on the cycleops are fully and evenly spread out. I find that I have a tendancy to lift up on the trainer when I put the bike in and then forgetting to readjust the legs and only remember when I start rocking.

just a thought.

Yea, really good point. Thanks. I've got it on a CycleOps mat on carpet. Hard to tell if even because the surface is not rock hard.

Miranda
02-06-2011, 09:55 AM
Thought this might help... where the skewer is locked into the trainer it's not 100% dead-locked tight. It's secure, read: not gonna slip out. But, has some shifting play. Wondering if this is increasing the rocking riding it? I can adjust to tighten it as long as there is not risk of damaging anything. IDK?:confused:

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg230/rotarydial/DSCN0085.jpg

marni
02-06-2011, 06:23 PM
mine is quite tight, but I would check it out with the bike shop since my bike guy set up everything for me at the shop and then I just duplicated that at home.

pll
02-06-2011, 06:29 PM
Mine is tight, too. You may have to remove the bike and adjust the lock ring (the part on the left of the picture... that thing can move further inside).

Miranda
02-07-2011, 04:17 PM
Thx for the additional replies... will check her out for a re-adjust.

Bike Writer
02-08-2011, 10:00 AM
Miranda,

I have a trainer very similar to yours but it's not a fluid, it's a wind trainer. Mine is rock solid tight and it hurts my hand just a tad to lock it in. If you have some play I suggest it is not tight enough. It would be a good idea to check with your LBS, maybe you don't need to take yours into the store but watch them hook a bike up to it and see for yourself how firmly it should be in place, then you'll know if yours is.

I had a yellow trainer tire put on also but the LBS did it ($20 bux installed), ouch to bloodied knuckles.