PDA

View Full Version : Signed up for the Gran Fondo San Diego - Yikes!

rianners
01-31-2011, 02:47 PM
I'm a fairly new rider, who was gently peer pressured into signing up for the San Diego Gran Fondo medio course. That's 53 miles!

I have 2 months (10 weeks!) to train. Unfortunately, during weekdays, it's still too dark for me to actually get some seat time outdoors. I work about 9 hours and day and it doesn't help that my work commutes are 45 minutes each way. By the time I get home, I've missed the sun. That, and I'm afraid of riding in the dark!

I figured that in the mornings, I can get up extra early and spin indoors at my local gym 3-4 times a week and dedicate weekends to outdoor rides around my neighborhood. I live in a fairly hilly neighborhood, so I'm sure I'll get a pretty good work out. Each weekend, I plan on increasing my ride by 5-7 miles, on top of the 15 miles that I can already do.

Does that sound like a good plan? Or, am I just crazy? Advice, ideas or thoughts will be most appreciated. Thank you! :D

maillotpois
01-31-2011, 05:33 PM
You wouldn't be the only cyclist peer pressured into doing something they thought was a little crazy. ;).

(I originally thought you wrote "beer pressured", and thought that was a innovative way of describing the cajoling that can occur post ride at the pub. I am actually going to use that term now as I have beer pressured my riding partner into considering a 1200 next year.)

You'll do great. Have fun. Don't worry too much about the miles. If you can ride 20 you can ride the 53. Really. :)

tangentgirl
01-31-2011, 06:18 PM
Beer pressure's the best.

You can do it! If you are spinning 3-4 times a week and riding on the weekend, you'll do great.

ivorygorgon
02-01-2011, 05:12 AM
I did the Gran Fondo last year and basically had pretty much the same plan as you did. I spin three x a week, do weights 2x and usually ride outdoors 1-2 a week. You will be fine.

Jiffer
02-02-2011, 10:10 AM
Hmmm. I just rode 53 miles yesterday. ;) My what a long way I've come. I started in 2006 and remember building my long miles. You'll do fine with your training plan. Before you know it, you'll be training for the full century next year! Haha! I've done several centuries now, one with 7500 feet of climbing, which I never thought a sane person would in a million years "choose" to do. But somehow I found myself signing up for it, doing it and then going back to do it again the following year. That would be Heartbreak Hundred in the L.A. area. It's part of the King of the Mountain series, which includes another equally miserable sounding ride, Breathless Agony ... and then there's Mulhulland. Those two are even more climbing than Heartbreak and I keep debating about doing the whole series, which my crazy climbing husband has done more than once ... and very fast.

The reason I say all this is to show you how one thing leads to another in this sport. Right now, 53 miles may sound daunting, but it's possible that some day 53 miles could be very easy for you and you might find yourself going out and riding 100 with some friends just for fun! :eek: Or not. Not everyone gets into endurance miles, even if they ride a lot and/or even race. Which reminds me. I also never thought in a million years I'd race. But I did three road races last year. WOW! Not very fast compared to the rest of the pack, but I did it. Another kind of challenge that I can't believe I did.

Thanks for the heads up on Grand Fondo. I've never done it before and just might. Could be good training for Heartbreak in May if I decide to do it this year ... which I probably will ... cause I kind of have to see how much better I can do it. Can you tell I have a competitive streak?!

If you decide you want to do a century after Grand Fondo, Amtrak is a good first century. Your friends are probably familiar with it. It starts in Irvine and ends in San Diego. You have to register in June on a specific day and it fills up within an hour or two (unless you don't need to take the train back to Irvine).

Good luck with your training. I think you have a good plan. :)

Jiffer
02-02-2011, 10:13 AM
By the way, Amtrak is in September, so you'd have plenty of time to train. Check me out. You're just trying to get through a 53 mile ride and I'm already on to the next one! Ha ha!

ladyicon
02-02-2011, 02:23 PM
I believe that the gran fondo is an out and back ride. You can always turn around. I was thinking about doing it also. If I can lose 10 lbs. that is.
I think you will be fine, it is not too strenuous for the 53 miler. Don,t worry and have fun... Where in San Diego do you live?

rianners
02-05-2011, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the support! I'm glad that it doesn't sound all that crazy. I'm getting ready to go out for an afternoon ride. One of my life goals is to eventually ride a century! But, uhm....let me figure out if I can hang with a 53 mile ride first!

As for the beer pressure (LOVE IT!), I'll save that (mmm...beer) for after the race!

@ladyicon - I live in east Chula Vista. I need to lose about 10-15lbs since I plumped up during the holidays. Though the extra padding is helping me to keep warm in our unusually cold "winter" spell. Lol.

channlluv
02-05-2011, 04:26 PM
I did the Gran Fondo last year and basically had pretty much the same plan as you did. I spin three x a week, do weights 2x and usually ride outdoors 1-2 a week. You will be fine.

Was that the one that got hit with one of San Diego's five allotted days of winter weather? It dropped into the low 50s and it was raining. Did you do the century route?

Roxy

ivorygorgon
02-06-2011, 05:06 PM
Channlluv: You got it! I don't think I ever been colder or wetter in my entire life and I am originally from WA State!!! We did the 53ish miles. That was the farthest I had ridden at that time. It was a very nice route. Not too tough at all for a newbie (like me). Very doable.