PDA

View Full Version : 10/09/05 bicycle blessing in conjunction w BATO

Trek420
10-02-2005, 06:08 AM
cross posted from my other board, the Velo Girls

On Oct. 9 there will be a bicycle blessing in conjunction with the Bike against the Odds. When you ride on Grand Avenue, why not stop to have your bike blessed?

St. Pauls Episcopal Church will bless bikes and bicyclists at 7:00, 7:30 and 8:00 that morning. Timed to coincide with the Bike Against the Odds, this brings to the East Bay a ritual popular throughout the world.

The tradition began in Europe. There are bicycle blessings in France, Italy, in New York and New Zealand. In recent years Blessing of Bicycles has even been part of the events surrounding the Tour de France.

Each May, the Episcopal Cathedral of St. John the Divine in New York
City holds a Blessing of the Bicycles. At that service, the Cathedral
Dean blesses bicycles and their riders and holds a moment of silence
for the bicyclists who have died on the roads of New York.

St. Pauls is at the corner of Montecito and Grand near the start of the ride. Watch for it. I did this last year, they even bless Jewish bikes, such a deal
;) :rolleyes: :cool:

Trekhawk
10-02-2005, 08:08 AM
Trek420 - that is so cool. I have been to a blessing of the fleet but never one for bicycles. :)

Trek420
10-02-2005, 08:29 AM
Just as long as they don't smash bottles on the bikes....oh, yeah, that's Christening the fleet. :) :D

cindysue
10-02-2005, 05:32 PM
Hey Dita, others joing the BAO event (and/or the blessing)

I will be at the first water stop (Temescal) - and will be staffing the LUNA Chix tent at the end of the ride. Stop by and say HI! We'll be raffling off and handing out a few goodies.....

Trek420
10-02-2005, 05:43 PM
If I make it that far...JK ;) :rolleyes: :cool:

cindysue
10-02-2005, 07:46 PM
If I make it that far...JK ;) :rolleyes: :cool:

try to avoid South Park Road - Yikes!

Which ride are you doing?

alpinerabbit
10-03-2005, 09:48 AM
Do they bless pagan bikes too? I guess then again pagans can do their own blessing.

Dianyla
10-03-2005, 10:28 AM
Don't forget the Holy Anointing With Oil! :)

Trek420
10-03-2005, 10:51 AM
cindysue "Which ride are you doing?" same as last year, I signed up for the metric but will be happy with "better than last year" which was "got a little lost, think I did the 20?" :o

Dianyla, as for the anointing with oil, do they use citrus degreaser first?

Trek sure i'm going straight to h*** for this 420

SadieKate
10-03-2005, 01:45 PM
Sorry for the graininess of this old scanned photo. My hubby has gone fishing with "the boys" every summer for 20 years plus. Until they lost "The Shaman" to Parkinson's a few years back, they had a blessing of the rods at the beginning of each trip.