PDA

View Full Version : 23rd Great Ohio Bike Adventure

Catrin
01-22-2011, 09:32 AM
Has anyone ridden this (http://www.goba.com/)? I do not how how I got on the mailing list, but it looks quite interesting. Don't know if I will be able to swing the registration fee, nor if I would be able to take off the week it is held, but it looks like it could be quite fun :cool: I think my LHT would love this ride - and 50 miles a day wouldn't be overly much...

OakLeaf
01-22-2011, 09:45 AM
I've never done it, but I know a lot of people who have, and most years at least some of the route is over roads I'm familiar with. It's supposed to be a super good time.

I'm not sure what the route will be this year. Sometimes they can make it pretty challenging - but 50 miles even of the tougher stuff is plenty manageable.

Let me know if you're going to ride it!

(COP also puts on XOBA, a similar but smaller tour later in the year.)

Catrin
01-22-2011, 09:51 AM
It claims in the information that it will be a flatter route than last year :) I did have the thought that there are hillier parts of Ohio than where this is held. I will certainly say something if it turns out I can swing it. I would like to say yes right now, but the Gunnar is really changing my budget until I bring her home :cool: It sounds like the perfect pace for my cushy tank otherwise known as Ms. Explorer!

Roadtrip
01-24-2011, 05:49 AM
Hummmmm... this is VERY interesting. Sounds like a neat ride. I don't have nearly the miles or experience (nor the time off) to undertake something like this quite yet, but I lived in Marion (parents still live there) for quite a few years and traveled around the area (Delaware/Kenton/Bellefontaine) when I lived back home.

Marion area is QUITE flat, but it does get a little hillier as you had south toward Delaware... I never bicycled around the area, but there is a nice little bike shop called Rocky's Cyclery.

If you go, make sure to post pics and a trip report!!

Shannon

Catrin
01-24-2011, 06:40 AM
I am pretty sure that I will be able to take off the time - we will have to see about the entry fee...but it is quite an attractive idea. I had thought about doing RAGBRAI this year - but I think that it is too early for that. This would be a good introduction to that type of event, then perhaps in 2012 I can make Iowa.

RAIN is also attractive this year, but I will have to see how my body feels as I build my mileage base back up. At least I am not starting at the same point I did last spring :D

Owlie
01-24-2011, 08:23 AM
That looks like fun! I don't know if I could do 50 miles a day just yet, though.

AnnieBikes
01-24-2011, 06:30 PM
I did GOBA in 2010 and it was a great ride! It was in a very hilly section of Ohio (south-central) and some people complained! It was also very, very hot. But I went with a friend and we had a blast. It was very well organized, and we did not have to move camp every night (two nights in two towns). The town people were wonderful and many churches had food and lots of it for a good price. The things to do in towns were fun and everyone went out of their way to be really nice. The towns always plan fun things to do and 2010 was certainly no exception. If I was not going to ride Bicycle Tour of Colorado, I would definitely do GOBA again.

Have fun and let us hear about it. :)

Catrin
01-25-2011, 08:35 AM
I read where people complained about it being too hilly last year. I really would like to do this ride, but with getting a custom bike this year I probably won't be able to swing it - I suspect that it is very easy to spend more than you realize for food as the days pass... I do have that week scheduled off though, so I will be on the bike somewhere - either on this ride or on day trips in Indiana and Ohio :cool:

TsPoet
01-25-2011, 09:12 AM
I have several friends doing this ride this year. I wish I had the nerve to take that much time off work, and A) tear my bike down, B) pack my bike, C) unpack my bike, D) build my bike, E) repeat.
I need to decide ASAP, there is so much chatter about this ride, it must be huge, if not it should fill up soon.

OakLeaf
01-25-2011, 10:20 AM
I finally got the flyer. It's not going to be nearly as hilly as last year. So no one should be intimidated. :) Especially since there are two "optional" ride days.

I'm not sure how fast it fills up.

... but speaking of filling up, isn't ANYONE here doing TOSRV this year, being the 50th anniversary and all? :cool:

Roadtrip
01-25-2011, 10:35 AM
I don't have the legs/gas/fitness (THIS year) for something like the TOSRV and it'll be here before you know it... it does look like a great ride and I LOVE the look of this years Jersey.

http://www.tosrv.org/00/shirts/11jersey3.jpg

Shannon

Bike Chick
01-27-2011, 03:45 AM
Cool jersey! I like how the middle of the ring is in the shape of Ohio!

I wish I was either 1) a teacher with summers off, or 2) retired. It would be great to do two or three of these week long bike trips every summer. This is another tour I will add to my "I would like to do this someday" list.

Catrin
01-27-2011, 07:54 AM
It does look like a lot of fun, but it is quite early in the season and the weather has kept me off the bike so far this year...perhaps in 2012 :)

KatzPajamas
02-26-2012, 05:42 PM
I did GOBA in 2010 and it was a great ride! It was in a very hilly section of Ohio (south-central) and some people complained! It was also very, very hot. But I went with a friend and we had a blast. It was very well organized, and we did not have to move camp every night (two nights in two towns). The town people were wonderful and many churches had food and lots of it for a good price. The things to do in towns were fun and everyone went out of their way to be really nice. The towns always plan fun things to do and 2010 was certainly no exception. If I was not going to ride Bicycle Tour of Colorado, I would definitely do GOBA again.

Have fun and let us hear about it. :)

Signed up to do GOBA this year. My hubby has done it 4-5 times in the last 10 years. This will be my second year of cycling and I just turned 57. Last summer I put about 900 miles on my Synapse, but 35 was about the most I could do in any one day. I am concerned about making it 50 miles several times in one week. Any advice on how to train for this week long trip?
I am planning to pack very light, but only have the advice of a man on what to pack...:cool: so would be grateful for any advice on that too.

Owlie
02-29-2012, 04:09 PM
I don't have the legs/gas/fitness (THIS year) for something like the TOSRV and it'll be here before you know it... it does look like a great ride and I LOVE the look of this years Jersey.

http://www.tosrv.org/00/shirts/11jersey3.jpg

Shannon

I know this is an old thread, but I have to mention this:
I had some bonding time with my advisor the other day. He did TOSRV during the time he took off from college. I knew there was a reason I ended up in that lab!

MichelleOH
03-22-2012, 05:56 PM
I am planning to pack very light, but only have the advice of a man on what to pack...:cool: so would be grateful for any advice on that too.

My Uncle has done GOBA for something like 15 years and loves it. You don't have to carry your own gear...they move it for you from town to town. My point is...I would therefore overpack. ;) Have fun!

Catrin
04-19-2012, 04:08 AM
Signed up to do GOBA this year. My hubby has done it 4-5 times in the last 10 years. This will be my second year of cycling and I just turned 57. Last summer I put about 900 miles on my Synapse, but 35 was about the most I could do in any one day. I am concerned about making it 50 miles several times in one week. Any advice on how to train for this week long trip?

I have no constructive advice outside of wishing you a great time! I really would like to do this, but not this year. I think that I will focus on doing this in 2013. I second Michelle's advice to over-pack as your gear will be moved for you ;)

goldfinch
04-19-2012, 06:44 AM
This seemed like an ideal ride for me plus we have a small camper my spouse could drive so I wouldn't have to tent. Tenting and me don't mix. But no pets allowed in the camper. So much for that.

indysteel
04-19-2012, 07:42 AM
To answer your question on how to train: do as many back-to-back training rides as you can over similar distances and terrain as you will encounter on the tour. When I trained for a similar tour in Tennessee in 2007 and 2008, I did a lot of Saturday and Sunday rides in the range of 65 miles or so, and I tried to ride some hills as often as I could.

As for packing: I'm not a light packer, especially if somebody else is carrying my bag. For the tours I've done, I bring enough jerseys and shorts so that I don't have to wear the same things twice. Arm and leg warmers, a rain jacket, and any other item you might want for cool mornings (ear warmer, long-fingered gloves) are handy. Of course, I'm not sure how cool your June mornings will be, but since most of those things take up little space, it's better to be safe than sorry. Beyond that, bring a handful of shorts and t-shirts that you can wear in the campground. Throw in a sweatshirt, some long pants, and a pair of sandals and you should be good. If you need to cut down on what you're bringing, try to focus on fabrics that you can get away with wearing multiple times--like wool.

For gear, I bring a spare tire, tubes, two water bottles, some extra snacks, my Road ID, an extra pair of gloves and sunglasses, and whatever else I might like to have "just in case," e.g., a spare cleat. I'm sure there are a handful of other things that I'm forgetting, but you get the idea. For the campground, I like to have a headlamp, earplugs, a camp chair, flip flops for showers, a quick-drying camp towel, and some stuff sacks so that I can keep my dirty/wet clothes separate from clean/dry.

Kathi
04-19-2012, 07:44 AM
Are you camping or staying in motels?

Even though your gear is sagged you still have to lug it to your room or campsite. I use a bag that has wheels and is large enough for my sleeping bag, bike gear and clothing. I tent so I pack my gear in waterproof compression sacks. The clear ones from Eagle Creek work well as you can see what's in them. I have one for my bike shorts, one for my jersey's, etc. I also pack my socks in the jersey pocket they go with. That way I'm not searching for them. Prescriptions and small items go in Eagle Creek cubes. I also pack my sleeping bag in a waterproof compression sack.

Unless Ohio is having a dry spell be sure to have rain gear. I always take 2 pair of cycling shoes, if one pair gets wet I have a dry pair the next day.

I'm picky about my tires so I pack an extra folding tire, it doesn't take up much room and extra tubes. I ride 650c wheels so the tubes are just in case the support crew doesn't have that size.

Energy bars and Accelerade powder (servings packed in sandwich baggies or small containers) a small bottle of dish washing liquid and bottle brush to clean the energy drink out of my waterbottles. Many rides do have Gatorade at rest stops but I can't stand it so I take my own.

I tend to overpack on casual clothes, I take things "I think I'll need" and then wonder what I was thinking.

Kathi
04-19-2012, 08:02 AM
Another thing, if you have any health issues that you might need to get prescriptions meds for know where you can get prescriptions in each town.

Last year I was in a very rural area of Wisconsin and had problems with asthma. I knew I was having issues but failed to call the Dr.'s office when I was in Superior where I could have easily gotten my meds. The next town had no drugstore and it was a 40 mi. roundtrip to the nearest drugstore. Cell service was pretty bad in the area and I had to call my prescription drug company to find out where I could get the prescriptions filled. Not having the meds would have ended the tour for me and possibly a visit to the emergency room. Another women did quit riding for the same reason.

This year I'm taking a list of the nearest drugstores available to me on our routes.