PDA

View Full Version : Bulge in tube

PamNY
01-19-2011, 08:14 AM
The tube I just patched has a bulge when I inflate it. The bulging area is near the valve and it extends about 3-4 inches.

Does this mean the tube is no good, or is it okay? This is only my second flat, so I don't really know what is normal/acceptable.

Thanks!

Blueberry
01-19-2011, 08:20 AM
Usually, I get a non-bulge where the tube is patched. Is that what's going on? (i.e., the patched area doesn't expand as much). If it's not leaking, I probably would just ride on it.

OakLeaf
01-19-2011, 08:32 AM
What Blueberry said.

But, if the bulge is not near the patch, i.e., if the tube wall is abnormally thin in one place, I'd probably replace it. If you want to continue to use it, I wouldn't put it on the front, where a blowout could be catastrophic.

PamNY
01-19-2011, 09:27 AM
No, it's not near the patch. And it is a front wheel so I'll replace the tube. Thanks, all!

To any other relative newbies with an unused patch kit: if you get a flat, it's worth trying to patch the hole simply to learn how.

My goal is to be as self-sufficient as possible since I usually ride alone. I did this patch just for the practice, and finding the itty bitty hole was harder than I thought.

Not a big deal, but something to keep in mind. With regard to minor bike repairs, I like to think I can do whatever is needed with cold fingers in a questionable neighborhood.

Seajay
01-19-2011, 12:47 PM
Lots of tubes do this. My guess is if you inflated 100 tubes "larger" than they would be while in the tire...1/2 would have some "bulgy-ness."
Obviously, do what makes you comfortable...but I'd doubt you would have an issue using it.

Oh and ....+1 on self sufficiency for both safety and confidence!

oz rider
01-19-2011, 01:15 PM
My goal is to be as self-sufficient as possible since I usually ride alone. I did this patch just for the practice, and finding the itty bitty hole was harder than I thought.
Good idea. Others might find bicycle tutor (http://bicycletutor.com/fix-flat-tire/) useful too; he has some good videos on all sorts of things. Just a tip that he doesn't cover for finding a hole amid traffic noise - inflate the tube and rotate it past your cheek and you'll feel the air.

OakLeaf
01-20-2011, 11:10 AM
I like to think I can do whatever is needed with cold fingers in a questionable neighborhood.

Speaking of cold fingers, this (http://www.theridejournal.com/the_ride_issue2.pdf) (on riding in Siberia, p. 13):

Everything becomes difficult in the cold. Mending a puncture is a good example of this. Getting one is tiresome wherever you are in the world. But in Russia things were infinitely worse. You’d stop riding, shout to the other person to alert them, put on a couple of warm jackets and an extra hat or two. Remove the wheel, take out the tools, set up the stove and light it. Hold the wheel in a flame to warm it enough for the rim and tyre to thaw apart (although clearly it gets considerably worse if you overdo this stage). Howl at your freezing hands and whirl them like windmills to thaw. Crouch down to fight the frozen valve out through the wheel rim. Bend the new tube into shape. Warm up your hands. Get the pump. The plastic on the pump snaps in the cold. Swear. Get the spare pump. The plastic on the second pump snaps. Swear and rage and jump around. Get out Superglue and fix the first pump. Your hands are really hurting by now, your whole body shivering. Put the pump into your pants to warm it up before use so that it won’t break again. Pump up the tyre. Replace the wheel and tools. Strip off your extra clothes and then get riding fast to warm up your body again. An hour later the whole saga may be repeated and there is no alternative but to get on with it.

Someone shared this on my bike club. I'd never seen the magazine before, but it seems worth keeping an eye out for!