PDA

View Full Version : Cravings...

Catrin
01-15-2011, 03:29 PM
I've always heard that when we are craving a particular food that we are likely missing something in that food. For some odd reason, I am REALLY craving peanut butter. Have for several weeks now, and I've eaten more of it than I should considering the fat content. I did find a version at Trader Joe's with flax seed in it, so at least that provides a little additional nutritional punch but it just has too much fat in it...

Any ideas what I can replace it with? Perhaps it would be better to simply eat actual nuts rather than nut butter...

Melalvai
01-15-2011, 03:59 PM
I don't know what nutrients you might be missing from peanut butter. A lot of my cravings are for foods with no nutritional value.

I've found a couple tricks that work for me with cravings. I tell myself I can have it if I still want it in 2 hours (or 30 minutes, or even 10 minutes). The problem with that is even though I'm no longer craving it 2 hours later, I feel cheated so I have it anyway. So that doesn't always work.

Another trick I learned recently is to imagine myself eating that food. This is based on a study where participants imagined themselves eating 5 M&M's, 30 M&M's, or nothing. Then they were given a bowl of M&M's. The people who imagined eating 30 M&M's ate half as many M&M's as the other 2 groups. This one works better for me because imagining it distracts me from the craving, and then I don't get that cheated feeling.

That might work better if you are naturally gullible. Like me. :)

OakLeaf
01-15-2011, 04:10 PM
Fat, maybe?

Try other sources of healthy fats and see if that satisfies your craving - walnuts, avocados, olive oil, freshly ground flax seeds, chia seeds, Udo's Choice...

You're right that eating whole nuts is a great means of portion control. Gather a bunch of hickories and find yourself a sledgehammer. ;)

Red Rock
01-15-2011, 05:30 PM
How about using greek yogurt instead of peanut butter? I tried this and became "hooked" Now I have all of these peanut butter jars around that I will need to use. I have thought about alternating between PB and the GY, that way I don't get sick of one.
Red Rock

Catrin
01-15-2011, 05:40 PM
hmmm, it is true that I've been on a very low fat diet for some time - not that I don't always succeed at limiting it to 15%, but that is what I strive for. It may be that is exactly what I am craving. I do love Greek yogurt, and do use quite a bit non-fat yogurt and low-fat Greek yogurt. Perhaps I should mix in a bit more low-fat yogurt and a few more real nuts & other healthy fats into my diet.

I didn't think that it might be the actual fat I am craving - I get more than enough protein so I know that isn't it. I generally use a fat-free spray for cooking, skim milk, no-fat dairy products, etc., etc., etc. I bet that is what I am really craving.

Tri Girl
01-15-2011, 06:06 PM
I wonder what I'm needing when I'm craving Nutella... chocolate? fat? protein? deliciousness? So many possibilities.:p

KnottedYet
01-15-2011, 06:26 PM
15% fat.... ouch.

My rule for cravings is: eat.

If the only reason for the craving is from your head, you'll get your fill pretty quick and be done with it. (Eat a whole truck load of chocolate guilt free, and pretty soon you'll be craving steamed broccoli and salads.)

If the craving is from your gut, you'll stop craving when you stop needing something from the item. I crave red meat, beer, and vegetables. If I eat them to contentment (2-3 beers a day, 1 meal with meat, at least one huge plateful of steamed vegetables) my cholesterol improves tremendously and I'm a nicer person.

The important part for me is to dump the guilt. If you snarf the chocolate (or the cheese, or the beer, or the steak, or whatever), but feel guilty the whole time, you won't reach any level of contentment and you'll just keep right on snarfing. Smell the thing. Savor the thing. Take pictures of it. Sing songs of gratitude for it.

Repeat as necessary. ;)

marni
01-15-2011, 06:43 PM
I find that if I am craving sweets, it is because I am low in protein. You might also want to try substituting some really garlicky hummus for the peanut butter.

I am slowly learning to fight my cravings by accepting them and giving into to them at highly diminished amounts, slowly and with many pauses to savor Mindufl eating is always good.

Peanut butter in one of my downfalls so good luck with that.

azfiddle
01-15-2011, 07:00 PM
mmmmmm Nutella... there is an unopened jar in the pantry....

Bike Chick
01-16-2011, 04:46 AM
If I'm craving something and it continues to nag at me, I give in to the craving. I just eat a small amount, savor tiny bites and make it last. If I eat it slowly, I find that I don't even finish it a lot of the time because I get satisfied. I don't try to analyze why or stress over it--that just totally doubles the guilt.

Crankin
01-16-2011, 05:41 AM
Catrin, why don't you use a small amount of olive oil to replace that cooking spray? That will up your "good" fat content. I also eat a handful of either walnuts or almonds with dried cranberries for a snack daily. If I am lazy, I buy the Trader Joe's pre-mixed trail mix that comes in little packets, with the above ingredients. It's about 110 calories and some fat, but extremely satisfying. I even eat it on the bike. Since I am allergic to peanuts, this is a great mixture for me.
I also throw the nuts and cranberries into a dish of non fat Greek yogurt for breakfast.

jessmarimba
01-16-2011, 08:49 AM
While I "crave" sweet foods, I know that's all in my head. The foods I crave and can't stop craving until I have some are usually vinegar-related. I have no idea what that means.

But peanut butter is a pretty unique taste, and if you were a PB&J kid it might be the "comfort food" factor that is getting you...?

Catrin
01-16-2011, 10:52 AM
While I "crave" sweet foods, I know that's all in my head. The foods I crave and can't stop craving until I have some are usually vinegar-related. I have no idea what that means.

But peanut butter is a pretty unique taste, and if you were a PB&J kid it might be the "comfort food" factor that is getting you...?

I wasn't a PB&J kid, though I did love PB sandwiches and tomato soup :) I suspect that, in the end, it is the fat that I am really craving - I tend to be really strict where this is concerned (at the advice of my nutritionist). I just ran out of PB this morning, and I have chosen to not replace it for now. I mean, I went through an entire jar in a little more than a week :o

I did, however, just pick up some avocados, walnuts, a trek mix, lofat Kefir and more olive oil. I suspect the cold weather has something to do with this - and there is a role for healthy fats as long as we don't overdo it.

Nutella isn't allowed in my kitchen - it is just TOO yummy to have around :D

nscrbug
01-16-2011, 12:53 PM
I often find myself giving in to my cravings, like many others here do. I just don't see the point of depriving myself of something that I truly want, as it will only lead me to keep eating other things as a substitution until that craving is satisfied (which it usually never is).

I love PB, and I "crave" it nearly everyday...especially after a workout. So, I pretty much eat PB everyday. Mind you, we're not talking about grabbing a spoon and eating it right out of the jar. I will spread a THIN layer of natural (no salt, no sugar added) PB on a piece of toasted Ezekial bread, an unsalted brown ricecake, or a whole wheat mini-bagel. I also will sometimes put a dab of it in my oatmeal at breakfast. Even though I eat it everyday (sometimes 2x a day), it probably takes me a good month to go through an entire jar of PB.

malkin
01-17-2011, 06:56 AM
The advice that comes to my mind is:

Sing a hymn.

I have definitely lived in Utah too long!

PamNY
01-17-2011, 09:48 AM
Marni mentioned "mindful eating" which I think is a very helpful in developing a good relationship with food. Anytime there's a food issue I'd suggest focusing on mindfulness for a while and then re-evaluating whatever the issue is.

I also agree with Knotted's advice and will presently compose a song of gratitude for the shrimp tortilla soup I plan to make tonight.

OakLeaf
01-17-2011, 10:09 AM

Sing a hymn.

Anything but "O Food to Pilgrims Given." ;)

malkin
01-17-2011, 10:24 AM
Anything but "O Food to Pilgrims Given." ;)

Good one!
Maybe to avoid weight gain you could go with "How Firm a Foundation..." (or do we save that one for pulling on a sport bra?)

Catrin
01-17-2011, 10:52 AM
Good one!
Maybe to avoid weight gain you could go with "How Firm a Foundation..." (or do we save that one for pulling on a sport bra?)

I was drinking when I read this...poor monitor :o :D thankfully it was just water :)

PamNY
01-17-2011, 11:20 AM
How about "Let Us Break Bread Together on Our Knees."

badger
01-17-2011, 11:59 AM
I had the same peanut butter craving about a month ago. I NEEDED peanut butter, and even went out specifically to buy some. I don't know what I could've been missing, either, but there are worse things to crave for!

When I was a full-on vegetarian about 10 years ago, at the 6 month mark, I had this overwhelming obsession with tuna salad sandwich. I don't even like tuna but I kept on thinking it and even dreaming it. After about a week I figured I must be missing mercury or some other heavy metal in my diet so I gave into the craving and fell off the veggie wagon. Now I'm just a flexitarian.

KnottedYet
01-17-2011, 06:30 PM
Now I'm just a flexitarian.

I'm a unitarian, it's all the same to me... ;)

Bike Chick
01-18-2011, 02:38 AM
I'm a unitarian, it's all the same to me... ;)

I'm a Sagittarian......does that count:D

katluvr
01-18-2011, 03:17 AM
I'm a Sagittarian......does that count:D

Not to highjack this thread, but are you sure you are still a saggitarian? Have u heard about the shift of dates on the astrological signs? I am no longer a saggitarian, but the new sign of Ophiuchus.
K

marni
01-18-2011, 06:39 PM

Sing a hymn.

know the feeling well. Went to school in Utah and have been in hiding ever since although they did manage to track me to and through three different countries overseas. I guess the great Republic of Texas has somehow defeated them at least for the moment. I see them riding around on their little matching bicycles but so far they haven't come a knocking at my door.

And there is your song for living in Utah. ;)

Catrin
01-19-2011, 02:31 AM
I wonder what I'm needing when I'm craving Nutella... chocolate? fat? protein? deliciousness? So many possibilities.:p

Deliciousness, most certainly :D I also found a product a few months back that was peanut butter mixed with dark chocolate :D :eek: :D I have not seen it since, which is a very good thing because it could not have been more delicious! Scrumptious even! Just don't ask me how long the jar lasted :o

Crankin
01-19-2011, 04:33 AM
Marni, your post made me laugh. Won't say anything more, because the only time someone has told me I was being rude on TE is when I made a comment similar to yours.
However, they found me on the train to class last fall, when a lovely young woman struck up a conversation with me by telling me she "loved my shirt." Thankfully, I got off at the next stop.
When my door gets knocked on, I just point to the mezuzzah and say,"If you see one of these, you probably are not going to make a sale."

daisylubob
01-19-2011, 06:03 AM
Now I have all of these peanut butter jars around that I will need to use.
Red Rock

Those jars of peanut butter will be put to good use, if you send them my way! I go through 1 jar of PB in 1-2 weeks :D

Red Rock
01-19-2011, 03:59 PM
Dasiy-thanks for the offer. I actually had some PB the other day and I don't think my body knew what to do with it. Of course, there is the nutella on the shelf too but that is for "special occasions". I was amazed how much I prefer the greek yogurt. It is lighter and not as heavy, which is nice. I guess I need to go for more bike rides or serious hikes. Then the PB will get eaten for sure. I could make PB cookies too. Those are really good. Those are great anytime.

Red Rock

marni
01-19-2011, 06:56 PM
I managed to get rid of them once in MA by letting my 6'6'' son with waist length hair answer the door. He cracked to door open and peered out in a paranoid manner saying "Yesss?......) (he has a very deep voice). When one of them started with the introductory questions he said "wait" pushed the door nearly closed and shouted back into the house "never mind the goat guys, I've found a couple of virgins." When I looked out I saw their backs disappearing down the road. They never bothered us in MA again.

marni
01-19-2011, 06:59 PM
Dasiy-thanks for the offer. I actually had some PB the other day and I don't think my body knew what to do with it. Of course, there is the nutella on the shelf too but that is for "special occasions". I was amazed how much I prefer the greek yogurt. It is lighter and not as heavy, which is nice. I guess I need to go for more bike rides or serious hikes. Then the PB will get eaten for sure. I could make PB cookies too. Those are really good. Those are great anytime.

Red Rock

yumm- peanut butter oatmeal raisin and pecan cookies.

Crankin
01-20-2011, 02:30 AM
OMG, Marni, my son, the one who is now a Marine did a similar thing when he was a senior in HS, when we lived in Boxborough. He ripped off his shirt and got our exchange student to do the same thing. Then, they answered the door to the "pitch," and said, "How can we help you?" Those guys went running.
It was pretty funny to see two, half naked skinny cyclists doing this.

FunSize
01-20-2011, 08:49 AM
I will eat way too much peanut butter if I allow myself to. I sometimes crave it when I want something salty.

During college where it was cafeteria, all you can eat style ice cream, cakes, and cookies, I would eat a banana with peanut butter as a desert instead. Then I just tried to limit my pb intake to only if I had a banana to eat it with.

I occassionally have it on toast now for late night snacks or breakfast when I'm out of cereal and eggs.

However, trader joes has a great choice of natural pb that is very cheap too! I'm so happy I have a trader joes here now.

... I forget who mentioned the changing of the astrological signs... but I thought that was only for those born after 2009?

Owlie
01-20-2011, 08:59 AM
I get cycle-related cravings. You know how there are all those things that "they" tell you not to eat preceding your period, salt and caffeine chief among them? I nearly always get salty snack food, latte, or dessert cravings.:confused:
I woke up the other day and had a random near-craving for corn dogs. I haven't had a corn dog since elementary school. Maybe I was missing nitrites from my diet. :rolleyes: (I ignored it, thankfully.)

Funsize, I do something similar with PB--I spread it on apple slices.

jelee1311
01-20-2011, 12:02 PM
If you crave peanut butter eat it, just don't eat the whole jar. My pineapple upsidedown birthday cake is callin my name, I think ill have a slice. Too bad I don't have any nutella I love that stuff on waffles,with marshmallow fluff. I'm a girl I give in to my cravings once in awhile and I don't care about guilt.:)

malkin
01-24-2011, 04:09 PM
So now we have the "Peanut Butter and Missionaries" Thread!

...I just point to the mezuzzah and say,"If you see one of these, you probably are not going to make a sale."

A naked toddler splashing around in the homebrew pot works pretty well too.

Owlie
01-24-2011, 04:29 PM
I had a teacher in high school who got the knock on the door when he first moved to Ohio. He invited them in, asked if they wanted anything to drink, etc, then proceeded to tell them his views on life. They never bothered him again!

My dad just told them "We're Catholic." :rolleyes:

OakLeaf
01-24-2011, 06:54 PM
My dad did similar, Owlie. He spent two years in divinity school and has maintained a lifelong interest in theology and church history. He'd invite them in and debate Scripture until their heads exploded. :p

marni
01-24-2011, 08:06 PM
OMG, Marni, my son, the one who is now a Marine did a similar thing when he was a senior in HS, when we lived in Boxborough. He ripped off his shirt and got our exchange student to do the same thing. Then, they answered the door to the "pitch," and said, "How can we help you?" Those guys went running.
It was pretty funny to see two, half naked skinny cyclists doing this.

We lived in Acton! Our sons may have actually known each other and/or gone to school together. My son Richard Harang graduated in 1996. My favorite picture of him is him out in the snow barefoot in full jiu jitsu outfit wielding his katana doing a whirling sort leaping jump, mid air with his waist length hair flying out all around his head .

Catrin
01-25-2011, 01:22 AM
So now we have the "Peanut Butter and Missionaries" Thread!.....

Speaking of cravings, on the BF women's forum we have the following threads:

"The Food Thread"
"The Chocolate Thread"
"The S*x thread" (not really about what it sounds like, but the title is great)

That just about covers it :D

Crankin
01-25-2011, 07:04 AM
Marni, your son is about 5 years older than my oldest and 7 years older than the one who went to the door half naked... but we probably have some mutual acquaintences.
Of course the people in Concord think I am weird becaue I lived in Boxborough. Gee, when my neighbors ask me why I don't get involved in town activities, I just say, "I only moved 9 miles... didn't have to change anything in my life."
But our kids both graduated from the best high school around!

OakLeaf
02-05-2011, 03:55 AM
back to the original topic ...

A recent conference of "nutrition scientists, dietitians, doctors, chefs and food service titans" was asked to pledge never again to use the term "low-fat,"

by Dr. Ronald Krauss, a senior scientist and the director of atherosclerosis research at Children's Hospital Oakland Research Institute. Krauss was echoed by another eminent cardiologist and epidemiologist, Dr. Dariush Mozaffarian, who co-directs the program in cardiovascular epidemiology at Brigham and Women's Hospital and Harvard Medical School and is an assistant professor at the Harvard School of Public Health. Both of these doctors have been involved in numerous studies measuring the effects of dietary habits on cardiovascular health and disease. They and many of their colleagues have found little evidence that low-fat diets are any better for health than moderate or high-fat diets.

"No randomized trial looking at weight change has shown that people did better on a low-fat diet," Mozaffarian told us, and there have been dozens of them. "For many people, low-fat diets are even worse than moderate or high-fat diets because they're often high in carbohydrates from rapidly digested foods such as white flour, white rice, potatoes, refined snacks and sugary drinks." They are also often dangerously high in sodium, as salt is often added to processed foods (along with sugar and starch) to compensate for the lack of flavor from fats.

"The only time I use the term 'low-fat' is when I'm telling people not to use the term 'low-fat,' " Krauss proclaimed. "The term should be banned from our vocabulary, along with 'fatty.' " In stigmatizing the concept of fat, we are giving many healthy foods a bad reputation, foods like avocados, nuts, plant oils (olive, canola, soybean, walnut and other nut oils) and many types of fish.

http://zesterdaily.com/health/801-say-goodbye-to-low-fat

Crankin
02-06-2011, 04:29 PM
I would have to agree with everything quoted above. For years (at least 20) I ate a very low fat diet and hardly any protein. That was fine when I taught 6-7 aerobics classes a week and I was 33. It caught up to me. It took a long time to figure out I needed less carbs and more protein and good fats.

Catrin
02-06-2011, 04:32 PM
I would have to agree with everything quoted above. For years (at least 20) I ate a very low fat diet and hardly any protein. That was fine when I taught 6-7 aerobics classes a week and I was 33. It caught up to me. It took a long time to figure out I needed less carbs and more protein and good fats.

That is what did it for me and how I've managed to loose 55 pounds in a little over a year. Low fat, high protein and moderate carbs. I try to use as little processed food as possible and no white rice/flour/bread at all. 'course, all of that riding last year helped a lot too :)