PDA

View Full Version : chronic shorts area problem

bikerbarb
09-29-2005, 05:39 PM
It is humid here plus I sweat a lot.
My problem is excessive sweating that a. has given me saddle sore pimple things and b. the front of my shorts get wet because I ride a lot on the low bars and there is too much pants and chamois fabric and it bunches up.

So I need soft, non chafing, minimal chamois low cut but not short leg nor sausage let shorts. I am medium size and wear size 6 pants. I have spent so much money paying for shipping for shorts I have sent back in the last 2 months. It could pay for a good pair of shorts.I'd be willing to alter the front waist to achieve the lower cut, but beyond that, does anyone have any advice? Even non-shorts related saddle area advice would be appreciated.

I went to the doctor before a week long tour as I worried I'd be in agony and get an infection from one of those pimply things that I never had in all my years of biking. He told me he could give me an antibiotic, but then I'd get a yeast infection which would be worse on a 450 mile ride. I do try to practice good hygene, but I seem to get a new pimple thing on a 'monthly' basis.

Anybody know how to beat this problem? :confused:

Mia
09-30-2005, 06:07 AM
Hey BikerBarb,

Sorry to hear you are having problems! :( If you do a search under SADDLE SORES you will find a lot of good threads dealing with that problem. I don't think I ride long enough rides yet to have that problem, but I have some new shorts that have a microbial pads in them that are supposed to prevent saddle sores. They are supposed to be good for a lot of washings before that wears out. Also, I have read here that using acne medication on that area seems to help. If you do the search, I'm sure you will find better advice than I have to give. About the bunching, is it possible your shorts are too big? If that's not it, I have heard that the bibs work well if you are having problems with the waist bunching up or cutting into you. Good Luck :)

Blueberry
09-30-2005, 08:40 AM
This sounds like something I had happen recently. I got lots of little pimples where my leg joins in and hits the side of the seat. I was riding the same saddle I always had - I think I just left shorts on too long and it was a *really* hot day. :(

I didn't take time off the bike (though I did put some antibiotic ointment on the pimples) and they turned in the red itchy raw bumps :eek: the next time I rode. :mad: They kept getting worse (even though I stopped riding b/c they hurt SO badly :( ), and I ended up going to the doc, who gave me a scrip for an ointment. It's an antifungal and something else. Basically, it will help anything from ringworm to allergic detmatitis. I used it for a week (and stayed off the bike per my doc's instructions), and the sores cleared up. However, then the top layer of skin in the area peeled (too many meds maybe) and I'm still having to be careful not to irritate the still tender skin when riding. :rolleyes: I've started using a lube in that area - still experimenting on which one I like - to safeguard.

Odd (and very unpleasant) experience. Bottom line - keep an eye on those pimples!

RoadRaven
09-30-2005, 11:54 AM
Good advice from Mia re doing a search here... lots of discussion around this subject on the forum...

You don't mention chamois butter or anti-chaffing sports creams... smear your self in that to minimise chaffing and protect your skin from sweat...

Shower as soon as possible after your ride, or at least get rid of those shorts (if I finish my ride and am not within cooey of a shower, I have a long cotton skirt which I whip on, and wear with no knickers...)

After a shower I also put on a mild, low allergenic aftershave on my nethers and anything looking like an infection/pimple gets a dab of pimple cream as well... so far, so good...

bikerz
09-30-2005, 03:34 PM
I wonder if mid-ride wipe-downs with baby wipes might help, expecially when it's hot and humid.

Thanks to a tip on this site, I've started using baby wipes after rides that don't end at or very near my house. I also change out of my shorts ASAP.