PDA

View Full Version : Tensing leg muscles during sleep - help!

deskrider
01-09-2011, 09:00 AM
I am dealing with a mild hamstring injury on the left leg. One of the things that makes it bother me (not bad pain, maybe a 1 or 2) is tensing the muscles on the back of the leg and buttocks. So... I don't do that--except when I'm asleep. For some weird reason I point my toes to the extreme and tense my leg muscles when I am asleep! I have done this for years and a few years ago it caused me some achilles problems due to the toe pointing and the compressing of the achillles tendon. Now my hamstring, which is much better, is affected more by what I do during my sleep than it is by riding. How can I stop, and what makes some people do this? My sister has the same problem.

nscrbug
01-09-2011, 10:02 AM
I can't offer any help on this, but just wanted to let you know that you're not alone. I do the leg-tensing/toe-pointing thing during my sleep, too! Sometimes I do it to the point where it will send my calves into an intense and very painful cramping episode. I have no idea why I do it, but it happens almost nightly. The excessive toe-pointing does cause my ankles to get very sore, too. If you happen to come across a solution or explanation for why we do this...I'd be happy to hear it! ;)

OakLeaf
01-09-2011, 10:04 AM
Do you have trigger points? My experience is if they're there, the muscles will clench up around them.

I sometimes sleep in one or two ankle splints, but that's really sort of a band-aid solution. My biomechanics are improving... Also be sure not to tuck in your top sheet, which forces your feet to dorsiflex.

nscrbug
01-09-2011, 12:40 PM
Do you have trigger points? My experience is if they're there, the muscles will clench up around them.

I sometimes sleep in one or two ankle splints, but that's really sort of a band-aid solution. My biomechanics are improving... Also be sure not to tuck in your top sheet, which forces your feet to dorsiflex.

Oh, heck yeah! Do I ever! I have a couple of huge knots in both of my calves. I had been using the foam roller on them, which helped somewhat...however, I've recently fallen off the wagon with the foam roller. Guess I need to start back up again.

malkin
01-09-2011, 01:40 PM
I did this every night for years. When the leg cramps got really bad, I started using an ace wrap to keep my feet up. I don't think it worked, but it helped to retrain myself not to stretch/point in that way any more.

blackhillsbiker
01-09-2011, 02:28 PM
This might sound strange, but try a supplement containing Calcium, Magnesium and Vitamin D. This seems to quiet down my legs considerably at night.

Deb

nscrbug
01-09-2011, 02:58 PM
This might sound strange, but try a supplement containing Calcium, Magnesium and Vitamin D. This seems to quiet down my legs considerably at night.

Deb

Hmmm...I currently take ALL of those supplements (have for over a year) but still get the "urge" to tense my legs and point my toes. Could this possibly be a form of restless leg syndrome?

deskrider
01-10-2011, 09:18 AM
I'm sorry, but I don't know what "trigger points" are?

out_spokin'
01-11-2011, 07:34 AM
Not the same thing, but I'll throw this in the ring -- the only time I get cramps at night are when I'm dehydrated. I've also noticed my partner gets pretty bad muscle twitching some nights, and I'd be willing to bet quite a lot that those are the least hydrated days. Good luck in any case!

OakLeaf
01-11-2011, 07:54 AM
I was hoping someone who knows what she's talking about would chime in...

Trigger points are basically places where the fascia has gotten knotted up and desiccated. Most commonly it's poor biomechanics that gets them started, but once they're there, it can really become a vicious cycle with chronic muscle tightness. You can work them out by applying direct pressure. Depending on where they are in the body, you can use a foam roller, foam ball, spiky ball, "Stick" or rolling pin, walking on pebbles for the plantar fascia, your thumb, a massage therapist's thumb, massage tools like a Thera-Cane, Ma Roller .... lots of options.

Probably your best bet for getting into the hammies is a foam roller or foam ball. Really good things to have around anyway.

Myofascial work first, then stretch.

If the points are close enough to the surface, you can feel them as hard knots in the muscles. They'll hurt when you apply pressure, but it's one of those "hurt so good" things as they dissipate. If they've been there for a while it'll take consistent treatment to get them out completely. If they don't stay away, you probably want to have a physical therapist look at your biomechanics.