PDA

View Full Version : Death March :)

Catrin
01-08-2011, 05:45 PM
Registration is open for the March 12 Death March - information here (http://www.sub9deathmarch.com/). If it were later in the year I would be all over this - but since it is not I will be volunteering at the event. It looks like a lot of fun so I wanted to post the information here.

I simply have to get some gravel road experience so that I can do this ride next year :)

Catrin
02-24-2011, 07:58 AM
Bump!

Is anyone attending? I will be one of the volunteers at the event and would love to meet anyone who might be there!

Bike Chick
02-28-2011, 06:09 PM
Nope, I won't be there but this sounds like a very interesting bike race! How fun! Where is Norman, IN? Close to Indy?

Catrin
03-01-2011, 12:39 AM
Nope, I won't be there but this sounds like a very interesting bike race! How fun! Where is Norman, IN? Close to Indy?

It is down by the Hoosier National Forest in southern Indiana. Apparently the hills are quite substantial in this area - there is a reason why they are calling it the "Death March" :)

I am looking forward to helping out at the event - would love to try it but it is way beyond me at this point :eek:

Bike Chick
03-02-2011, 09:39 AM
I looked it up on Google maps and saw that it was close to Bloomington. My legs started hurting just seeing it on the map and knew how hilly it must be.

Catrin
03-02-2011, 10:34 AM
Yep, and there isn't much pavement from what I understand. Apparently they will be in teams, and they will have to decide what combination of trail, gravel, or roads they will need to take to get to the various checkpoints, Then they take a team picture and head off for the next spot. It sounds a lot like orienteering with bikes, and sounds like great fun!

It goes on regardless of weather, bad weather would certainly add to the memorability of it! While it is a true race with a pot, they will also have something for the best co-ed team, assuming I read right.