PDA

View Full Version : Need your opinions on a new bike!

ASammy1
01-04-2011, 11:52 AM
I'm moving in a few months to an area that is a block from a multi-use path (yay!!!) which is dirt packed. My skinny tire Trek road bike isn't going to cut it on this path, so I need some ideas.

Here is what I would like: Relaxed road bike geometry with curved bars for multiple hand positions. I'm only 5'4", so I think most of the Surly's are out :(

GO!!!

Becky
01-04-2011, 12:04 PM
I'm only 5'4" and, while I don't own a Surly or a Soma, I'm quite confident that their smaller sizes (46cm or so) would fit me. I'm basing this on their geometry charts and my current bikes' geometries.

I wouldn't rule out a Surly Crosscheck or a Soma Doublecross if I were in your shoes....one of those could be built up soooooooooo many different awesome ways. (Go look at Redrhodie's winter bike built on a Doublecross frame- I covet it in the worst way!)

My Scattante cross frame, built as a do-anything commuter tank, is a 46cm frame with an ETT of ~51.5. In fact, the reach is actually a touch short for my liking....

What sort of effective top tube length would you need to be comfy?

KnottedYet
01-04-2011, 12:08 PM
Trek420 is 5 foot 0, and she rode a 42cm Surly Long Haul Trucker over dirt, gravel, grass, and asphalt. It fit her perfectly.

warneral
01-04-2011, 12:38 PM
I dream of moving to be that close to one of our rails-to-trails in the area. Lucky you!

I was thinking I'd probably convert my backup road bike (trek 1000 wsd) to cross tires and try that out.

Have fun shopping. I'll be watching the thread for future reference.

moderncyclista
01-04-2011, 02:50 PM
Um, I'm 5'3'' and I own a 46cm Surly Long Haul Trucker. Fits me like a glove. Nice comfortable ride. Purdy as can be. But whatevs. You shouldn't count that out if you've been thinking about it, is all I'm saying. :D

indysteel
01-04-2011, 03:02 PM
I'm 5'4, with short legs and a long torso, and went with a Jamis Aurora in a 47 cm. I can't honestly say I've been able to ride it much yet though, so I can't attest to much of anything.
There are a number of good options though that others have already mentioned.

Catrin
01-04-2011, 03:14 PM
I'm moving in a few months to an area that is a block from a multi-use path (yay!!!) which is dirt packed. My skinny tire Trek road bike isn't going to cut it on this path, so I need some ideas.

Here is what I would like: Relaxed road bike geometry with curved bars for multiple hand positions. I'm only 5'4", so I think most of the Surly's are out :(

GO!!!

I am 5'3 in my stocking feet and the 48cm LHT fits me fine, and it comes one size smaller so don't give up on Surly yet, they come in lots of sizes :)

Trek420
01-04-2011, 03:26 PM
Trek420 is 5 foot 0, and she rode a 42cm Surly Long Haul Trucker over dirt, gravel, grass, and asphalt. It fit her perfectly.

Loved that bike! And since you want lots of hand positions I'm sure you or your LBS could put 'stache bars on it like Knott has on her Surly Cross. :cool:

KnottedYet
01-04-2011, 07:13 PM
Loved that bike! And since you want lots of hand positions I'm sure you or your LBS could put 'stache bars on it like Knott has on her Surly Cross. :cool:

There are actually fewer hand positions on a moustache bar than on the regular drop bar the LHT comes with.
http://surlybikes.com/bikes/long_haul_trucker_complete/

Trek420
01-04-2011, 07:34 PM
Oooh and it's now available in blue :cool:

KnottedYet
01-04-2011, 07:49 PM
And coming soon: The Trucker DeLuxe! ($999, only available with 26 inch wheels)

ASammy1
01-05-2011, 07:00 AM
Maybe I was too quick to rule out the Surlys. I have a few months before the move (and spring thaw), so I have a little bit of time to go try out a bunch of bikes.

Indy-I had completely forgotten about the Jamis Aurora! I know a bunch of ladies on this forum like them....

indysteel
01-05-2011, 07:06 AM
Maybe I was too quick to rule out the Surlys. I have a few months before the move (and spring thaw), so I have a little bit of time to go try out a bunch of bikes.

Indy-I had completely forgotten about the Jamis Aurora! I know a bunch of ladies on this forum like them....

Happy to oblige!

My husband has the 2011 Aurora in Sangria. It's a lovely color in person. Mine is the 2010 in whatever blue they were offering. It's nice, but I like my husband's better. Oh well. :rolleyes:

We're planning a tour along the Katy Trail for Sepember--hence the bikes. :D

ASammy1
01-05-2011, 07:45 AM
Happy to oblige!

My husband has the 2011 Aurora in Sangria. It's a lovely color in person. Mine is the 2010 in whatever blue they were offering. It's nice, but I like my husband's better. Oh well. :rolleyes:

That sounds fantastic! Do you find that you are in a more upright position on the Aurora?

indysteel
01-05-2011, 09:17 AM
To be honest, I haven't been able to ride it much since getting it this fall, so I can't honestly remember. My regular road bike's geometry isn't all that aggressive, so if I am more upright on the Aurora, it's not by much. Of course, with a different stem, I could change that to some degree. Certainly, I'm much more upright on my my MTB.

One thing I'll say about the Aurora is that it's not as heavy as I feared it would be. It's not road bike light, but it's not a beast, either.

Rebecca19804
01-05-2011, 10:18 AM
+1 on Surly. I am 5'3". LBS tried to get me onto a 46cm Cross Check which I insisted was too small. Went with a 50cm (from a different shop). Perfect fit. And it's a terrific bike.

I truly believe fit is more about reach while actually cyling than standover height when your feet are on the ground. :D

indysteel
01-05-2011, 10:45 AM
+1 on Surly. I am 5'3". LBS tried to get me onto a 46cm Cross Check which I insisted was too small. Went with a 50cm (from a different shop). Perfect fit. And it's a terrific bike.

I truly believe fit is more about reach while actually cyling than standover height when your feet are on the ground. :D

I agree, although as a practical matter, you do need to be able to stand over your bike. As it is, I have very little clearance on any of my road bikes. My 29-inch inseam at 5'4 is proportionally really short. One of my bikes is a 47; the other a 50. My MTB is a WSD 15 inch.

aicabsolut
01-05-2011, 12:35 PM
Is it pretty smooth packed dirt? (not like singletrack and/or full of roots and stuff) If so, even if it's a bit rutted, I would just ride the road bike. Maybe use wider tires for more comfort and a lower PSI if it's bumpy. Packed dirt is pretty pleasant to ride on with a road bike compared to gravel.

SLash
01-05-2011, 02:36 PM
Happy to oblige!

Indy, we're twinkies... my husband and I both have Jamis Auroras 2010, he has the Sangria color, I have the blue smoke which I love, although I agree Sangria is very pretty. And, we rode the Katy Trail last May. ;)

+1 on the Jamis Aurora, at least give one a test ride. :)

indysteel
01-05-2011, 04:04 PM
You're the one that inspired us to get the bikes and do the Katy Trail. I read your blog, forwarded a link to my husband, and the next day we decided to do it! Thanks!

ASammy1
01-05-2011, 04:38 PM
Is it pretty smooth packed dirt? (not like singletrack and/or full of roots and stuff) If so, even if it's a bit rutted, I would just ride the road bike. Maybe use wider tires for more comfort and a lower PSI if it's bumpy. Packed dirt is pretty pleasant to ride on with a road bike compared to gravel.

It's a limestone trail. I need a new bike anyway as my road bike has too aggressive geometry for me. I'm looking for something a bit more comfy.

SLash
01-05-2011, 05:38 PM
You're the one that inspired us to get the bikes and do the Katy Trail. I read your blog, forwarded a link to my husband, and the next day we decided to do it! Thanks!

Really?! That's cool!!! :D

redrhodie
01-06-2011, 07:17 AM
As Becky mentioned earlier, I got the Soma Double Cross DC and I love it. I'm a hair shy of 5' 5", and I got the 48 cm. The model without the disc brake mounts (the Double Cross) comes in even smaller sizes. Soma uses Tange Prestige steel tubing.

I really wanted a bike that could take studded tires, disc brakes, drop bars, and rack mounts. This frame fit the bill perfectly at a great price. I feel really comfortable on her. She's the perfect year round commuter, and I'm sure she'd be great on trails since her tires can go as wide as 38 mm. She isn't available as a complete bike, so you'll have to build her. That can cost more, but you'll get exactly what you want.

I highly recommend this frame! I can't think of anything I don't love about her (she's even a pretty color). If I were going to do a long tour, this would be my ride.

Kubla
01-06-2011, 10:50 AM
I'd say a 46 cm Surly Cross-Check or Jamis Aurora might work out fine for you. (At 5'4" you are not *that* short.)

By way of comparison, I am 5'6" with relatively short legs and long torso. I loved the 50 cm Cross-Check I test-rode last year-but went with a 50 cm Aurora because I could not get a good deal on the leftover 2009 in beef gravy brown. Both bikes fit and handled great; I would have been thrilled with either one.

My Aurora gives a really smooth ride over the rougher roads in my area and I found my rides getting longer each time. I just didn't want to end the ride!

That said, I'm going to have a hard time avoiding the Cross-Check this year in that pretty blue color...

ASammy1
01-06-2011, 11:12 AM
Thanks Kubla. It sounds like we are built similarily. I too have short legs and a longer torso. I'm going to definitely check out the Surlys and Jamis Aurora. Probably this weekend, if I can get the hubs on board :p

ASammy1
01-29-2011, 02:35 PM
So I just wanted to update everyone and let you all know that I ordered the Surly LHT tonight in Blue Velvet! Thanks to everyone for all of your sound advise :D

Catrin
01-29-2011, 02:38 PM
So I just wanted to update everyone and let you all know that I ordered the Surly LHT tonight in Blue Velvet! Thanks to everyone for all of your sound advise :D

Congratulations and welcome to the dark.....errrrrr fun side :D Seriously, you will love your LHT!

ASammy1
01-29-2011, 02:57 PM
Thanks Catrin!

Oh, the icing on the cake is that I found a really great bike shop in the process too. Sighhhhh of content...

ASammy1
02-04-2011, 10:06 AM
I'm completely bummed out... My LHT had to be ordered (of course :rolleyes:) and it was supposed to come in today. It didn't. Stupid storm...

yetigooch
02-05-2011, 09:02 AM

GO!!!

Try looking are cross bikes....They are great multiuse bikes. Practically every company puts one of these out so you'll have plenty to choose from. Buying a new bike is always so much fun :0)

Catrin
02-05-2011, 10:44 AM
I'm completely bummed out... My LHT had to be ordered (of course :rolleyes:) and it was supposed to come in today. It didn't. Stupid storm...

I am assuming you got one of the two smallest sizes - if so then make certain that Surly sent the right bars and brake levers with it. They are supposed to ship smaller road bars and brake levers for smaller hands with those sizes but they seem to forget this from time to time. It happened with mine and several other people I know of.

I am looking forward to hearing what you think of your lovely new LHT when you get the chance to ride it. Have you used bar-end shifters before?

ASammy1
02-05-2011, 01:51 PM
I am assuming you got one of the two smallest sizes - if so then make certain that Surly sent the right bars and brake levers with it. They are supposed to ship smaller road bars and brake levers for smaller hands with those sizes but they seem to forget this from time to time. It happened with mine and several other people I know of.

I am looking forward to hearing what you think of your lovely new LHT when you get the chance to ride it. Have you used bar-end shifters before?

Actually, I ended up with the 50 cm. I'm not a WSD/shorter top tube kinda girl, but I will definitely check on the bars and brake levers. Thanks for the heads up!

ASammy1
02-11-2011, 08:24 AM
Here he is! Not completely finished in this pic... Still need to add the rear rack, rack bag, pedals, and bottle cages...