PDA

View Full Version : Happy New Year! 2011 year goals?

ibike2
01-01-2011, 11:30 AM
I can't believe it, another year flew by.

What do you have planned for this year? Did you make a New Years Resolution?

jobob
01-01-2011, 02:39 PM
My goal for this year is to spend much more time riding with my friends, and to have fun. I lost track of that last year, and almost lost all interest in riding. Almost. :cool:

I've already made some fun plans for this year ...

In May I'll be viewing at least a couple of the stages of the Amgen Tour of California. I'll certainly ride up Sierra Road for stage 4. DH and I will be in Solvang for the time trial, stage 6, and we'll bring our bikes and toodle around some while we're down there. We might go see another stage or two as well.

In June, there's Sierra to the Sea, a multiday tour in northern California which starts in the Sierra foothills and ends in Golden Gate Park in San Francisco. A bunch of friends are doing this as well so it should be a blast.

Then in August, there's the Mount Shasta Summit Century, a really great event in Northern CA. I've gone and signed up for the Super Century, which is comparable to the Death Ride in terms of distance & elevation gain, but, if I don't do the full super century, it's no biggie in the least.

I thought of maybe doing some 200K brevets and training for a double century this year. The brevets are still likely, but the double century, eh. I have no great need to prove anything to myself or to anyone else this year. ;)

Becky
01-01-2011, 03:35 PM
My goals for 2011 are:

-to ride as much as possible for fun and transportation, and not get caught up in how far and how fast. DH and I are currently talking about doing Bike Virginia and possibly the Gran Fondo Philadelphia. Also, I'd like to build up a cheeeeap singlespeed that I can ride for errands and not be paranoid about locking up unattended.

-to accept that, in order to enjoy all of the sports and activities that I love, I may have to ride less, and that's ok as long as I'm still being active.

Owlie
01-01-2011, 06:45 PM
Ride more often, though specific event-related goals will be tied to where I end up going to grad school.

I don't know, really. To me, "new year" is in August/September. Curse the academic calendar!

maillotpois
01-02-2011, 11:09 AM
I'm going to do a brevet series and some double centuries. :)

And continue to lose weight. :o

indysteel
01-02-2011, 11:44 AM
My big goal for 2011 is to learn how to MTB, hopefull without any broken bones.

As for my road bike, I just want to regain some consistency and discipline in my routine. I went through so much change over the last 18 months and was forgiving when it came to sticking to my former routine. It's time to re-focus. I'd like to do more climbing and get at least one century in. DH and I are doing an end-to-end tour of the Katy Trail in September, so I hope that keeps us both motivated. I also want to ride with my old riding buddies a bit more.

We have lots of hiking and camping planned for the spring and summer--including an April trip to Zion and Bryce Canyon.

Catrin
01-02-2011, 12:00 PM
I have a few goals for 2011, one of which is to avoid more over-use injuries and to log at least 3k miles.

I would like an introduction to mountain biking (the Midwestern MTB clinic) and focus/improve my bike handling skills. If I see in the clinic that I CAN do this without breaking bones, then mountain biking will be a 2012 goal.

While I would love to do a brevet this year, first I will focus on doing a century without injury, then will consider a brevet. I want to focus on the finding and feeding of my inner hill-climbing beastie and just plain having fun on the bike. General touring/exploring/club rides while avoiding over-use injuries...

Continue to lose weight - but more importantly - lower my body fat percentage and add muscle mass. Fitness walking and the occasional hike with perhaps a mat pilates class to round things out.

redrhodie
01-02-2011, 04:12 PM
I just put a rack on my new bike, so I hope to do even more commuting, and more errand riding, and I hope to win another stage of the tour de France. ;)

maillotpois
01-02-2011, 04:25 PM
I just put a rack on my new bike, so I hope to do even more commuting, and more errand riding, and I hope to win another stage of the tour de France. ;)

Allez allez!

crazycanuck
01-02-2011, 05:12 PM
My goal is not to be last at any event(open water swim,mtb etc).

bluebug32
01-02-2011, 07:04 PM
Keep riding as much as I can; try not to overdo it. Ride another century. Recover after a job layoff by finding a new job. Start freelancing for magazines again. Be happy and grateful for the wonderful life I have.

Zen
01-02-2011, 07:07 PM
Two Goals.

Finish rough draft of book.

Be happy.

I like this a lot. Thank you

AppleTree
01-02-2011, 07:49 PM
My first goal of the year is to buy a 2011 Specialized Dolce Elite... a real "road bike" ...I like the pretty green one... and then...oh this is scary.... I want to do the Seattle to Portland ride with the Cascade Bike Club this year. I never thought I would even consider such a big ride. My longest ride so far is only 50 miles. I want to accomplish something BIG! I am going into this year with an "I CAN DO IT" attitude.

Reach for the stars! Or maybe just Portland?

I think I can...I think I can... I think I can....

azfiddle
01-02-2011, 09:10 PM
My goals are very similar to Catrin's- avoid overuse injuries, and ride 3000+ miles I am close to my goal weight, so I want to lose the 2-3 lbs that crept back on while I was less able to exercise, and then maintain my weight.

I also need to increase the amount of weight-bearing exercise I do.

FunSize
01-03-2011, 08:45 AM
My cycling goals: assault on the carolinas' 100k in april (eek! That's really soon!) And the assault on Mt. Marion in may.

Persoanl goals: save up money and apply to grad school.

SheFly
01-03-2011, 09:58 AM
My goal is not to be last at any event(open water swim,mtb etc).

A good goal, BUT, remember that if you start and finish a race, there is NO SHAME in being last (from she who has been there...). :D

SheFly

featuretile
01-03-2011, 11:20 AM
My goal is to be able to keep up with the bike club riders. It would be nice to be able to just show up whenever I want and ride without having to meet someone there my speed, and not get dropped. I know there is no 'shame in being last', but it's more fun to ride with company.

I can't remember exactly when I got my Ruby (maybe a little over a year), so am not sure of exactly how many miles I road last year, but the odometer says 3500 miles! This is my second year of riding.

deskrider
01-03-2011, 01:36 PM
Since I started riding in September I have no idea what appropriate goals would be for 2011 but my initial thought is that I won't be happy with less than 3000 miles and that would include single bike and tandem. I want at least two longer trips out of state or out of the country in 2011 on the tandem with an average total number of rides per week at 4.5. I want to be able to ride a minimum of 35 miles on my single bike and a minimum of 75 on the tandem.

I guess I'll see whether these are attainable for someone who has just started so recently, and it will take cooperation of the tandem captain as well or some of this won't be attainable.

jelee1311
01-03-2011, 04:34 PM
My goal is to stay well and injury free the whole year. I plan to ride 4 to 5 days a week and lose more weight. I want to be faster and stronger and go up big hills without stopping. Who knows maybe a sprint tri in August,or CCX in the fall.....well for now that's enough. Trekgranny you can do STP no problem just keep training!

marni
01-03-2011, 06:34 PM
I want to increase my weight lifiting weight and my reps in resistance training by 10% every three months and to increase my road mileage by 25%. The second goal should be the easiest since my road biking this year was constantly interfered with by injury, life stresses, adjusting to being a care giver and terrible windy weather. I can hope for no injury and can learn to conquor the wind, the other two should be a bit smoother as well. Here's hoping. Plus I want to get the five pounds I put on over the holidays plus another 10 pounds off to reach my goal and keep it there.

Jelee- I love your tag line, I often feel the same way.

Good luck to us all.

ivorygorgon
01-05-2011, 05:37 AM
A couple months ago there was a 2011 goal thread and I posted the following goals:

-I am going to increase my average speed, on flats and hills;
-I am going to get a professional fitting and increase my comfort on the bike; (Done, not sure I am quite "there" yet with comfort, but it is better.)
-I am going to ride the Adventure Corps Laguna Challenge, but do two laps instead of 1;(I could only do 1 lap last year, 44 miles, 4400 feet of climbing, lap two involves another 25ish miles and another 3300 feet of climbing, there is a third lap, which I want to do, but not sure of, which is another 22ish miles and another 3300 feet of climbing.)
-I am going to ride at least 50 miles a week.
DH and I will be in good enough shape to just do a century without feeling like we want to train for it. (almost there already)
-I will get down to my goal weight.

I still have all of these as my goals, so I guess when I wrote this I was on the money :)