PDA

View Full Version : where to ride in PA

paintgirl
04-07-2003, 04:12 AM
Hi, I am looking for suggestions on places to ride, around Harrisburg, and York Pennsylvannia. My husband is going to a Street Rod show, June 5, 6, and I do not want to look at cars for 72 hours. I prefer country roads, or trails rather than high traffic areas in the city. I have discovered some nice rides in Burlington Vt. Kalamazoo Mi. while avoiding the cars my husband loves to see.... paintgirl

jodievb
04-15-2003, 04:32 AM
There is a good rail trail in York that runs 22 miles into Maryland-here is the website for maps and info:
www.dcnr.state.pa.us/rails/yorkchrt.html
There is also a good one near Harrisburg along the Stony River-
www.dcnr.state.pa.us/rails/stonyvrgt.html

Linda Lou
04-15-2003, 02:45 PM
Hi, the Harrisburg bike club has several group rides(road bike) that go out on the weekend. Harrisburg is surrounded by rural countryside. My guess is that the event you are going to is actually in Carlisle?There are rides sponsored by the harrisburg bike club from Carlisle & Mechanicsburg for riders of all levels.Give me some idea of your riding ability and I will stir you in the right direction. Linda Lou

Charley
04-16-2003, 11:44 AM
Hi,

For trail reviews state-by-state go to mtbr.com and select trail reviews. The trails listed are mountain bike trails, but this category includes rail-trails. There's a sister web site to mtbr.com that's for road bikes.
You can also do a Google search for Pa. rail trails or rails-to-trails.

Good riding!
Charley

paintgirl
04-18-2003, 03:30 PM
Thanks for some ideas. The car show is in York,m we are just staying in Harrisburg, and I have went to quite a few shows in both Carlisle and Hershey. I commute to work when winter is finally over, 20 miles roundtrip. I always ride alone, so I don't really know how my ability compares to others. It takes about 40 mins to go 10 miles on bikepath, and some highway to work. I feel great when I get to work. I ride a mountain bike for the comfort, have smooth tires on. I did my first century last July in the middle of our hot summer (89 degrees that day), a solo effort, in beautiful Prince Edward County in Southern Ontario. It would be great to ride with some other ladies for a change! paintgirl