PDA

View Full Version : Boca Raton Area Routes

brodymom
12-15-2010, 09:18 AM
We will be visiting Boca over the holidays (around Christmas) and want to bring bicycles. Does anyone know of any good 30 - 50 mile rides in the area? Thanks in advance.

Happy holidays to all!

Pedal Wench
12-15-2010, 09:48 AM
The folks I went to Key West with all talk about riding A1A up near Boca. And, there's a big group - ZMotion - that has groups all over South Florida: http://www.zmotion.org/camp-a1a-riders-a/158.htm

ehirsch83
12-15-2010, 12:12 PM
I live just south in Ft.Lauderdale and my rides always go into Boca. Our main and really only road to ride on here is A1A. You can go as far as you want on it! If you go north from Boca it is nice, low traffic, pretty sights to see. If you go south (towards ft.lauderdale) you will run into lots of traffic and lights.

Zmotion has a group ride that leaves from The Cove restaurant parking lot in deerfield beach, just south of boca on Saturdays. They have 3 different groups-A,B,C depending on speeds.

On Sundays there is the Muffin Ride that leaves from Palmetto(I think, it might be Spanish River) and A1A and goes 20 miles south to a Starbucks on Ft.Lauderdale beach, they have coffee and then ride back north- it is a no drop policy 18-20mph ride.

On Saturday/Sundays there is also a group ride, that I do out of Ft.lauderdale from Commercial and A1A. It is a hammerfest ride, but people always drop off and into different groups. The main group turns at Spanish River in Boca and returns back south(40 miles) Then there are always people that continue and ride long, up to the inlet and back or shorter- 60-100 miles, depending on where to turn.

Hope this helps!

OakLeaf
12-15-2010, 02:15 PM
My in-laws live in Boca.

I've never brought my bike, but I've run and driven in the area, and all I can say is either join one of the big group rides, or stay on the roads that have bike lanes. Traffic is just freakin' nuts there. I don't even like to run there, because it seems like every time I do, somebody on a bicycle (I won't dignify them with the name cyclist) runs me off the SIDEWALK (those few places that have sidewalks, which are the only places I run there) and into traffic. Sometimes more than once in a run. :eek: