PDA

View Full Version : Gluten problems

kmoty
09-26-2005, 06:38 AM
I discovered last year that I'm gluten intolerant. As some of you know, that imposes a lot of dietary limits, especially for "convenience" foods. I just discovered a gluten-free energy bar from a small/woman-owned business in Washington: Bumblebar (http://www.bumblebar.com/). These are sweetened, but organic and vegan (so dairy free). They taste good to me and there are plenty of flavors (various nuts, lemon, chocolate).

I've read the helpful thread started by CorsairMac. Anyone else got strategies for nutrition without gluten?

I'm past menopause, blessedly through the hot flash phase, but anything with gluten gives me frequent hot flashes that taper off until it's out of my system. I've never seen that symptom mentioned anywhere, but it's absolutely reliable for me (along with general achiness, fatigue, joint pain). Offered for anyone struggling with any of those whose doctor can't seem to find an explanation.

Karen

DirtDiva
09-26-2005, 08:56 AM
Try here (http://members.ozemail.com.au/~coeliac/index.html) for some gluten-free recipies. If there's anyone who knows everything about living the gluten-free life, it's all the folk with coeliac disease, so you could also try www.celiac.com and www.coeliac.co.uk or just google "coeliac" for more info.

ccnyc
09-26-2005, 10:53 AM
I'm also gluten (and casein) intolerant and I've been frustrated with the food situation on my rides. I can only eat so many bananas and Larabars... I need some protein and fat with my carbs!

I discovered Starkist Tuna in 3 ounce pouches. It fits easily into a jersey pocket. At the rest stop midway into my 60 mile ride I opened my pouch and had the tuna while everyone else was eating PB & J sandwiches and cookies.
Not as much fun as PB & J, but at least I felt like I had some good fuel for the rest of the ride and wasn't getting an overdose of sugars.

Don't forget a plastic fork. And maybe an individual mayo packet.

Carol

kmoty
09-26-2005, 04:13 PM
Thanks, what a great idea! I'll look up Larabars.

Karen

CorsairMac
10-10-2005, 12:07 PM
also try rice cakes and pb - or even pb and j. They also make a gluten-free tortilla that I can get at my local health food store. I pack 2 cakes with PB to a plastic baggie and carry them either in my camelback or a pocket. I'll admit, the baggies can get a little messy but it's heavenly to be able to stop Anywhere and have some "real" food. I'm also going to try making a gluten-free "trail" mix using nuts, raisins, and puffed rice or puffed corn cereals and see how that travels. I love Larabars but they can be pretty darn expensive and I'm allergic to 3 of the 4 bars! (yippee skippee) Hope this helps!

LED_now
10-11-2005, 04:47 AM
A reminder: Most mayonnaise has "modified corn startch" A.K.A. wheat. (gluten)
Careful!

Wouldn't it be nice if there were more gluten-free options out on the road?

Annnnnd, (I know this is a stretch but) for supported tours!

I've never come across a charity ride, event or the like, where there was a gluten-free meal alternative (rice pasta, plain tomatoe sauce anyone?) ...

LED_now
10-11-2005, 05:03 AM
P.S. :

If you're ever in the Toronto (Ontario/Canada) area, there's an Italian restaurant chain here named: "Il Fornello".

http://ilfornello.com

They offer most of their dishes with a choice of gluten-free pasta - annnnnd, this is a biggie - glutenfree PIZZA too! Build-your-own pizza with fabulous ingredients, not-the-run-of-the-mill stuff, I'm talking WOW!

You don't need to call ahead of time either, to request these gluten-free options, they are part of the regular menu, anytime.

In downtown Toronto, there's a beautiful "Il Fornello" restaurant on King St. West (214 King St. West I believe) across from Roy Thompson Hall (Toronto Symphony performances venue) on the north side of the street beside the Princess of Wales theatre. You might want to make a reservation on Friday or Saturday evening - not that it's super fancy, but due to the proximity of the restaurant to the theatres, it can get very busy pre-show time.

I was there for the first time last Friday and it was quite busy but the food and service was awesome~! (and no, I'm not associated with the place ha ha)

kmoty
10-16-2005, 10:34 AM
Thanks CorsairMack and LED_Now for the gluten tips (I was already sorry the budget wouldn't allow a trip to Toronto, a favorite city, for a professional meeting--now I'm even sorrier!). One of my friends just recommended Amy's Kitchen products (frozen "health" food, see www.amyskitchen.com/special_diets/celiac.php) for something close to pizza, mac and cheese, and enchiladas. They provide zip-code mediated and online source-finders for their products, including Safeway, Giant, and Fresh/Whole Foods in the US. I'll tell you how they are once I've actually tried some.

Easting out *is* a heck of a challenge, but Bonefish Grill (higher-end seafood chain) boasts a gluten-free menu with really good food, although you may have to tell your server it's available.

Celiac/Sprue foundation reports this is the most common genetic disease, as many as 1 in 133 people with European roots, only 3% of whom are diagnosed.

This is an amazing community. Thank you everyone.

Karen