PDA

View Full Version : Finally, a training DVD that doesn't suck!

bluebug32
12-05-2010, 03:20 PM
Just as my husband and I were about to shun training DVDs altogether (spending an hour with Coach Troy or Chris Carmichael and his crisp polo shirt and clipboard is just slightly better than watching paint dry), we discovered Robbie Ventura's Real Rides VisionQuest DVDs.

Ventura shares so many useful insights about training and shoots the training videos out on the road, so you actually feel like you're on a group ride. One video features an entire criterium that he rides and talks you through. His videos each focus on a different aspect of cycling (speed, force, power, etc), and each dvd comes with a few different training sessions, so you can start with one and slowly ramp up to the hardest.

Does anyone else use these? I would definitely recommend them to anyone trying to beat the boredom on the trainer this winter. After doing this program last year, we felt very prepared for those early spring rides.

http://www.realrides.tv/store.html

SLash
01-01-2011, 07:42 PM
See a lot of Robbie each year on Versus with the Tour, but didn't know he did training videos. We just got a spinner and I've been looking for dvd's to use, what I saw of Real Rides I like. The price seems okay too. Which did you get/recommend?

bmccasland
01-02-2011, 09:47 AM
Gee, that almost makes me want to uncrate my road bike, buy a trainer and the DVD. I am definitely not used to these northern latitude short days, and I don't like taking a walk in the dark (used to go for a walk after work).

bluebug32
01-02-2011, 06:51 PM
See a lot of Robbie each year on Versus with the Tour, but didn't know he did training videos. We just got a spinner and I've been looking for dvd's to use, what I saw of Real Rides I like. The price seems okay too. Which did you get/recommend?

We have all of the dvds except for strength and cycling 101. Each one is tailored to build a specific skill on the bike. So far, it seems like power, race day, and climbing are the most difficult. Force and speed are a bit easier. Speed really focuses on developing an efficient pedal stroke (something I'm finding very helpful). The great thing about all of the dvds is that you can build your own workout. He has workouts for week 1 and 2 and another more progressively difficult session for weeks 3 and 4. If you don't want to do these, however, you can use the sessions from each workout toc build your own.

marni
01-03-2011, 06:19 PM
I got a trainer, by my own request, for Christmas, and it came with one of Robbie Venturas training dvds. Glad to hear the good recommendations although I think this one, "Race Day" is probably way beyond me for a while. At some point I will take a look at setting up a small dvd player where I can see it in the garage where the trainer is. Today I learned that no matter how cool the garage feels, a long sleeve jersey is not a good idea. I forgot to factor in that there is no air circulation. Maybe I will start training with the door open and hope for a breeze.

Kerry1976
01-03-2011, 06:33 PM
I've got a Robbie Ventura DVD on order based on recommendations here. The one I ordered is speed. Looking forward to receiving.

SLash
01-03-2011, 07:38 PM
We have all of the dvds except for strength and cycling 101. Each one is tailored to build a specific skill on the bike. So far, it seems like power, race day, and climbing are the most difficult. Force and speed are a bit easier. Speed really focuses on developing an efficient pedal stroke (something I'm finding very helpful). The great thing about all of the dvds is that you can build your own workout. He has workouts for week 1 and 2 and another more progressively difficult session for weeks 3 and 4. If you don't want to do these, however, you can use the sessions from each workout toc build your own.

Thanks, I bought Force and Strength, can't wait to get them!

bluebug32
01-04-2011, 01:56 PM
I got a trainer, by my own request, for Christmas, and it came with one of Robbie Venturas training dvds. Glad to hear the good recommendations although I think this one, "Race Day" is probably way beyond me for a while. At some point I will take a look at setting up a small dvd player where I can see it in the garage where the trainer is. Today I learned that no matter how cool the garage feels, a long sleeve jersey is not a good idea. I forgot to factor in that there is no air circulation. Maybe I will start training with the door open and hope for a breeze.

Yes, Race day is REALLY hard. Sometimes I'll start off easier and do a few of the intervals instead of doing the entire workout. The great thing about these dvds is that, after doing them three days a week last winter, I definitely saw improvement in my riding. This was opposed to previous winters when I sat on the trainer doing my own "wandering" sets of intervals.

zoom-zoom
01-04-2011, 04:24 PM
We've been sitting on the Race Day DVD for a long time...I think DH got it free with his CyclOps trainer.

We did it tonite...whoohee, that was FUN! I mean, as fun as an a$$-kicking indoor workout can be. I am definitely going to get more of his DVDs. Buh bye, Coach Troy! :p

arielmoon
01-06-2011, 10:35 AM
I have been doing CC train right (intervals and criterium) and I find them much better than the spinerval one my roomie has. That said, we usually mute Coach Troy when we can. I always laugh though when he says "Good job Jennifer" since it sounds like he is talking to me.

I am going to look into this suggestion!! THANKS!

Kerry1976
01-06-2011, 12:01 PM
Just did my first Robbie Ventura - Speed, today. What fun! Thanks for the great recommendation!

Aggie_Ama
01-06-2011, 04:02 PM
We got one with our CycleOps trainer, I think Race Day. Since we are racers it is probably a good one for us. Robbie is kind of annoying to me so I haven't popped it in yet.

marni
01-06-2011, 07:22 PM
We've been sitting on the Race Day DVD for a long time...I think DH got it free with his CyclOps trainer.

We did it tonite...whoohee, that was FUN! I mean, as fun as an a$$-kicking indoor workout can be. I am definitely going to get more of his DVDs. Buh bye, Coach Troy! :p

strangely enough that's how I got my training day as well. Now to figure out how, where to put a portable player or computer out in the garage. In the meantime, listening to podrunner interval training music is doing a good job on me.

SLash
01-08-2011, 09:25 AM
My two dvds (Force and Strength) came in the mail yesterday, but I haven't done them yet. Too busy yesterday crosstraining - two+ hours of raking piles of leaves and feeding them into the shredder, mulching flower beds and working dirt from flower pots into beds...

How do I enter that in to Garmin Connect. ;)

zoom-zoom
01-11-2011, 04:45 PM
I did a Coach Troy DVD tonite and wanted to shove that damned stopwatch up his arse about midway through. I HATE the way he cracks lame jokes that only he grins at...and his continuous hackneyed and cliched language. He may know his stuff, but his delivery makes me want to throttle him.

makbike
01-12-2011, 09:02 AM
I did a Coach Troy DVD tonite and wanted to shove that damned stopwatch up his arse about midway through. I HATE the way he cracks lame jokes that only he grins at...and his continuous hackneyed and cliched language. He may know his stuff, but his delivery makes me want to throttle him.

That's why I turn the sound off and listen to my Ipod.

SLash
01-12-2011, 02:29 PM
Today was my second time to do RealRides Force dvd. I like it, and followed along better today. I like the dashboard he uses, makes it easier to determine how hard/easy to go. It's a good workout.

Bike Chick
01-12-2011, 04:54 PM

So I gather you didn't have an enjoyable workout:D

I couldn't have put it better myself! I just ordered Race Day and am looking forward to something different.

zoom-zoom
01-12-2011, 06:12 PM
So I gather you didn't have an enjoyable workout:D

Nah, I still had a good workout...mostly 'cause I envisioned running Troy over and crushing him! :p

bluebug32
01-12-2011, 06:15 PM
Nah, I still had a good workout...mostly 'cause I envisioned running Troy over and crushing him! :p

Sweet! haha

zoom-zoom
01-16-2011, 03:41 PM
Did the Force workout for the first time...love it! The miles pass SO much faster while doing these DVDs. Even with Coach Troy the miles pass faster than they do when I'm just watching TV or a movie. I guess because I am so much more engaged and mixing things up a bit.

PinkBike
01-19-2011, 01:41 AM
just found this one, it looks really good and its only like $15. it looks like a "real ride" type thing from the actual worlds in geelong. i wouldn't mind following fabian for 3 minutes.

http://www.thesufferfest.com/video-sufferfests/local-hero/

zoom-zoom
01-19-2011, 02:47 AM
just found this one, it looks really good and its only like $15. it looks like a "real ride" type thing from the actual worlds in geelong. i wouldn't mind following fabian for 3 minutes.

http://www.thesufferfest.com/video-sufferfests/local-hero/

So that's a digital download? Price looks right...that could be burned to a DVD, I assume...? If anyone tries this, I would love to hear how it works.

Pedal Wench
01-19-2011, 07:28 AM
So that's a digital download? Price looks right...that could be burned to a DVD, I assume...? If anyone tries this, I would love to hear how it works.

I've got two of them, and about to try this new one. My legs are killing me from doing "Downward Spiral" this morning. They are digital downloads and yup, I burned them to DVD. My laptop's not fast enough to play the file, so DVD was my only choice.

I also have the Sufferfest "The Hunted." Lucky me, I get to do that one tonight. (Wednesdays are two-a-days - lucky me!) I like both of them, think the music is good, fresh, and really motivating - I bought one of the songs because I like it so much.

smilingcat
01-22-2011, 09:46 PM
just listened to the music. I like it!!

I like the music on angel the most and I need a major pick-me-up so I think I'll get this video. And I like the price.

I think the music will help me keep me on my trainer.

thank you for the link.

sundial
01-23-2011, 11:59 AM
Just as my husband and I were about to shun training DVDs altogether...we discovered Robbie Ventura's Real Rides VisionQuest DVDs.

I watched one of his videos in a bike shop while I was having my bike tuned up. His video was a breath of fresh air compared to Coach Troy's DVD. I didn't purchase RV's video but I do have a few of Coach Troy's. The other day I was working out to Autumn Country Ride with Coach Troy and no matter how slowly I pedaled, I still kept up with him. ;) I told him that I didn't have to stand and pedal if I didn't want to.

pll
01-23-2011, 01:55 PM
I have 5 Sufferfest videos -- I play them out of a USB drive on my DVD player. My favorites so far are "Angels" and now "Downward spiral". The music is good, the price is right. This is the first winter I'm trying to stick with the trainer on a regular basis.

AllezGirl
01-23-2011, 07:10 PM
Until today, the only trainer video I could tolerate was Race Day (which came with my CycleOps). I do really like that one. But for the past couple of years, I would just put on old cycling videos and an ipod and half a** go thru the motions of a work out.

Today my BF brought over 3 Sufferfest videos that he downloaded. WOW...they were awesome! I did Angles, The Hunted and Fight Club...and even though my legs were killing me, I did all three. It was definitely three of the hardest hours I've spent on the trainer...at one point I was wondering if it would've just been easier to brave the temps in the teens...but it went fast! The footage was great, I liked the music (even though it's not something I'd choose to listen to, it worked well with the intensity) The efforts were HARD, but varied enough that I didn't dread them.

pedalstrike
01-28-2011, 04:24 PM
gotta second the sufferfest videos. i've been hooked on "revolver" (45min, 1min on/1 min off intervals for 30 minutes). still learning how to get out of the saddle on the rollers but def will be purchasing more of them.

they hurt so good.

makbike
01-28-2011, 04:51 PM
If I am reading the Sufferfest website correctly these can be burned to a DVD, correct?

Thanks!

out_spokin'
01-28-2011, 07:09 PM
Yes, DVD burnable, see Pedal Wench's post above...

and another +1 to Sufferfest. I haven't even used the new improved (and pay-based) ones yet as we're having a bizarrely mild winter. But the ones they're based on (with patched video, not as clear music, and free at the time) got me to use the trainer when nothing else worked more than once. The combo of race footage (from a variety of disciplines), well-matched music and sense of humor (sufferfest!) really work for me, and I think the price is quite fair. If we get the spring snows some are predicting I'll be paying up for a few.

woohoo
01-29-2011, 01:09 AM
Another sufferfest fan here! The humour may not be for everyone but it sure works for me! Time flies past compared to just following a written programme with some music on, and the feeling of racing *really* makes me work harder, even although I only ride the turbo for fitness, I don't race. I have Angels, Local Hero and The Hunted, and would recommend any of those :D

Classic case with these that you get out what you put in, but the style of it sure makes you want to put more in! ;)

ridebikeme
01-29-2011, 04:25 AM
I've enjoyed reading everyones imput here! Although I own lots of Spinervals DVD's and enjoy them, perhaps the variety has kept me hooked.

With that said, it's always fun to have something new, so will try some of the Sufferfest that all of you have recommended.

Thanks for the suggestions!!

http://chasecyclery.blogspot.com

ridebikeme
02-02-2011, 04:37 PM
I downloaded the Sufferest "Hunted" Dvd today and rode to it tonight and enjoyed it! Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

I'll now download a couple more over the next few days, thanks again!:D

zoom-zoom
03-03-2011, 12:57 PM
We now have 3 The Sufferfest workouts (Local Hero, Angels, and Revolver) and LOVE them. I will never do another Coach Troy DVD...not ever! I'd MUCH rather look at sexy pros and beautiful scenery (including sexy pros) than a bunch of pasty people like me on trainers. Plus the music and humor are awesome! :D

pll
03-03-2011, 06:31 PM
I agree -- the Sufferfest videos are great. Tried a Robbie Ventura DVD and did not like it at all. Too much talking, no good music.