PDA

View Full Version : Any other Equestrians Here?

LivetoRide
12-05-2010, 10:16 AM
I started cycling in '09 to compliment the horseback riding I do, due to them using some of the same muscles, and in short, cycling has evolved into another one of my passions. Unfortunately, they are both very much money and time sucking! :o

So, any other equestrians here? What type of riding do you do? Do you own a horse?

I myself mainly do dressage but have dabbled in jumpers and eventing as well. I'm the proud owner an OTTB gelding who's in the past year and a half had some on-going lameness problems (kind of like what I'm going through with my knee and cycling :o). My horse's chronic lameness problems really sparked my interest in possibly going the animal science / pre-vet route in college in the next couple of years so we shall see. Oh, and I'm a bit of a COTH fanatic. :D

LivetoRide
12-07-2010, 07:33 AM
Hi! Yeah, I'm glad I found cycling too! How did you get started in cycling and riding horses?

When I do/did jump, I too would always keep the jumps low; the highest single fence I've done is only 3'3" and I don't really care to ever repeat it! :p

I quite enjoy dressage myself; Most are surprised that just occasionally cross training with dressage will really help improve ones' jumping through working on responsiveness, and the rider's seat and feel but it really does help. And although I've never tried saddle seat, I don't think it'd be my cup of tea either!

I really thought there would be more riders on here :confused: since riding and cycling to compliment each other but I guess not!

tulip
12-07-2010, 07:42 AM
I used to ride. I started when I was 6 years old and was a typical horse-crazy little girl. I took lessons for years and showed hunter-jumper on other people's horses. I begged for a horse, of course, and I finally got one when I was 14 years old. While I enjoyed it immensely, it was a ton of work even though I was able to keep him at home (lived in the country). By the time I was 15, I took my first bike tour through France and my interests were shifting to bikes. I sold the horse when I went to college, and then got into bike racing.

That was all eons ago, but I have been riding bikes ever since. I haven't been on a horse in decades.

kermit
12-07-2010, 02:35 PM
Another former horse chick here, was heavily into the hunter/jumper scene. I got my first horse after college, a 3 year old off the track, 17 hands and a big baby. After scores of serious injuries I discovered that bikes are a lot cheaper. I do miss it and still visit circuit, don't miss the expense though. I remember when I was riding all the time having to get shots in my lower back for my broken back (horse related) I actually bent the doctors needle. Nothing else is like riding a horse, biking is close.

LivetoRide
12-08-2010, 04:38 AM
Tulip- Horses certainly keep you busy, that's for sure! I'm fortunate enough to live in a small college town surrounded by farms so I'm able to affordably board my horse about fifteen minutes from home by car (or a 10 mile bike ride)-- but even then my horse still will keep me very busy!

Kermit- Ouch! Hope your back healed up well and that you no longer have any trouble with it (back problems are awful). Fortunately, I've yet to take a spill and get any serious injuries (worst was probably smashing my elbow into a jump rail).

ehirsch83
12-08-2010, 05:01 AM
Me:)
Up until recently it was my profession... I just turned down an assistant trainer job with one of the top jumper barns because it meant I would have to give up my bike.

I took another job back in the aviation field and am desperately missing the horses. My hours aren't allowing me to get out and ride the horses at all right now :( I own part of a green medium pony that I need to be working to sell...
I either need to make more money so I can have a horse(but I hold my pro status so I can't just go show as an ammy) or I need to get back into it as a profession... But I wish I could find something where I could take 1-2 weekends a month off to go race my bike... that is what i'm searching for, oh if i ever find it life will be great!

LivetoRide
12-08-2010, 07:23 AM
Ehirsch83- I know how you feel; there's just not enough time for everything! And it's possible to get your ammy status back for when you find time again for horses/showing. I don't know much about it other than reading about it on COTH (Chronicle of the Horse forum) but you can always call/email USEF for more info on the subject. I [I]think[I] it takes about a year of participating in no pro activities to get it back, so if you want it back, it is possible. And surely there's a job somewhere out there that would give you some time to race...I hope you find it! :)

MCAP
12-10-2010, 07:25 AM
ME!

I ride dressage primarily, but I also take jump lessons for fun, foxhunt, and trail ride. I'd love to event some day, but that would require having enough time to get my mare into great shape. Some day!

I live just outside the city and have 5 horses at home. 2 are retired, one is young and not started, and two are riding age. I love my ponies!

LivetoRide
12-10-2010, 05:00 PM
MCAP- Awesome! I've always thought it'd be fun to try fox hunting but I've yet to have a chance to do so. You should try at least lower level eventing; It can be a lot of fun!

Kubla
01-20-2011, 04:04 PM
I was a little slow to find this thread, but I have been a horse owner for over 30 years. I currently have a 14 year old Morgan gelding and keep him here. (We have about an acre-more than half of which is for him.) It's admittedly a lot of work, but there is nothing like having them at home, IMHO. I've had 2 Morgans, an Arab and a half-Arab over the years. Love both breeds.

Years ago I dabbled in showing hunt seat on the flat, but much prefer trail riding these days. I also have an interest in dressage, but mainly as a spectator.

LivetoRide
01-28-2011, 11:51 AM
Now I was slow to find this!

Morgans are lovely, aren't they!? The first horse I really took lessons on was a Morgan, so, I, too, am partial to the breed. Trail riding is great and I wish I could do more of it. My horse, a flighty Thoroughbred, unfortunately gets pretty anxious at times out of the arena or when in new places so he's only been out on trails a handful of times as I just don't have the confidence to ride through it. Perhaps my next horse will be braver...

Kubla
01-30-2011, 12:49 AM
Morgans are like big puppy dogs. They're incredibly smart and curious. Dante makes me laugh every day with his antics...though we were less than amused the day he playfully flung his empty feed tub over the fence and into the woods. In a patch of poison ivy. :rolleyes:

Berrybiker
12-29-2011, 06:48 PM
I know this is kind of old but I just found this tonight searching for something horse-related. I'm another former horse girl. I grew up in the country and was asking for a horse from the time I learned to talk. I rode with friends and finally got my own horse when I was 13. I rode through high school, and for awhile after that. Then life happened..... I have missed it, but it has never been practical (or affordable) for me to get back to it.

Fast-forward to today, when I haven't been on a horse in over 25 years.
I'm so excited, because I am going riding with some friends this Saturday!!!
I just found out tonight and I feel like a kid that just found out that Christmas is coming unexpectedly.
:):):)

MojoGrrl
12-31-2011, 11:34 PM
I've been riding for 25 years although hardly riding at all in the last 10...maybe once a year if I'm lucky, but like riding a bike, you don't forget how and it's still second nature to me when I get on a horse. I ride English, hunter/jumper and fooling around out on trails and stuff. And I also owned a Morgan horse! I really wish I could find the time to get back into it as my yoga, running and cycling take up most of my exercise time - and the money, of course. Bikes are a lot cheaper than horses, that's for sure.

molliewog
01-03-2012, 09:58 AM
Yes!

My passion for horses is (don't kill me) greater than cycling :D I'm currently pregnant, so no riding for me at the moment. I've ridden since I was 9. Primarily hunters and jumpers. Nothing over 3'6. I haven't shown in a few years, and it may be several more before I show again. I don't own a horse, but I have a good friend who has deemed her retired hunter "my" horse. He is a goofy 15 year old TB. Race trained, but I'm not sure he ever officially ran. I can't remember if he is tattooed or not.

I LOVE OTTBs!!

pumpkinpony
01-04-2012, 04:17 PM
I grew up riding horses... trail rides, camping trips, rodeos and parades... When I graduated college my mom wouldn't support the habit anymore so ended up selling them all. I started riding bikes about a year after that..

Fast forward a decade or so, and I picked up a free lease on a cute little horse for trail riding and had a blast! (attached a pic of him out on the trail - the bridle actually broke. Good thing I had put a halter on under it, was able to ride back like that) Only two months and the owner sold him. Found another lease on an ex jumper who had navicular. That only lasted a couple of months and I told the owner she really needed to retire him; she was in denial over how much pain he was in. I had to bute him every time I rode. She did finally see the light, and he is at a therapeutic riding program now.

After that I found a guy with two quarter horses that I leased for a few months. Then I moved, and leasing must not be as popular here as I don't see any ads on craigslist, where there where a ton in southern CA. I'm not entirely sure I want to own one given my work schedule. I really don't think it would be worth it if I could only get out and ride once or twice a week.