PDA

View Full Version : what to wear for xc skiing

eliz
12-01-2010, 03:04 PM
I'm going to give it a try this year and I have no idea what to wear. I've been a down hill skier but I would imagine my coat and pants would be to bulky (non stretchy) to be comfortable. I'm in the Northwest so odds are it will be cold and wet.

Crankin
12-01-2010, 04:32 PM
Dressing for x country skiing is sort of like dressing for cycling. Lots of layers. I get extremely hot skiing, even when it's 0 degrees out. So I have different types of base layers. My mid layers are either wool or fleece. Sometimes I wear cycling pieces. I have a Go-Light jacket. It's thin and extremely warm. Usually I wear my wool/windproof Ibex tights, with a light pair of silk underwear. I have a mid weight pair of long underwear, for real cold. Wool socks and various levels of hats or head bands and gloves, liners, and mittens.
You are right. Your alpine gear will be way too hot. I don't downhill ski, but I've seen what my friends have.
I use a waist pack, with 2 water bottles and a fairly good sized storage area, so I can bring several levels of head gear or mittens, food, etc. Most people use Camelbaks, but for some reason, I just hate skiing with one on.

roadie gal
12-02-2010, 06:15 AM
2+ on what Crankin said. Layer like you would for a cool day's bike ride. I wear a thin base layer on the bottom with a mid weight layer on top. I like Sporthill's clothing because a lot of their midweight stuff also resists wind, but most cycling clothing would also do the trick.

You'll cook in bulky, insulated downhill clothing.