PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone a spinning instructor?

bluebug32
11-30-2010, 01:29 PM
I decided to move my thread to a new location. Hoping for some feedback, thanks!

Just curious how much training is involved and what certifications you need? What's the good/bad of it? Sounds like a fun side job.

Raindrop
12-02-2010, 06:51 PM
I've been teaching indoor cycling since 1997 and hold four different cycle certifications. Some were one day events (Kieser, Reebok) others were longer and more involved (Spinning and Reaction/Schwinn), but the certification is just the beginning.

To be a really good instructor you need to keep studying and reading. Make sure you know and understand biomechanics and kinesiology. Many facilities won't even hire you without an additional primary certification. I have ACE, but also accepted are AFFA, ISSA and some others. These primary certifications go beyond what is taught in a cycle certifications.

I also am a Personal Trainer (NASM) and have spent thousands of dollars over the years on continueing education to stay current on the changing landscape of fitness.

But back to your comment. Yeah, it's a fun part time job.:)

Oh, and the bad part of it is staying true to your certification and not joining those instructors that give indoor cycling a bad name by doing the contraindicated stuff like popcorn jumps, hovers, freezes, no-handed cycling, sprints with no resistance, hill climbs with too much resistance and RPMS of 30 etc. etc.

Then you'll never please everyone with your music choices and you'll have to deal at times with people that just won't stop talking, or use their IPOD, text during class etc. etc.

But overall, I love this format otherwise I wouldn't still be teaching 6 - 8 classes weekly.

Miranda
12-20-2010, 06:22 PM
Hi :)

My current teaching schedule is five Spinning classes a week at two different gyms.

My certification for IDC is through the original Spinning program http://spinning.com/.

Besides your cert for IDC, you definately need CPR, AED, & FirstAid training (mine is thru American Red Cross). I personally don't carry my own professional liability insurance as I'm employed thru the gym, and covered for the basics there.

I have also a basic group exercise cert through a program at one of my gyms. The other gym did not require a cert besides my IDC, and CPR/AED/FirstAid. Plus, Pilates cert thru NETA, which is just some additional exercise education at least in the same field.

Here is a web site that has some instructor discussions that you might like to check out: http://www.pedal-on.com/.

I don't know if your an outdoor rider as well, but this does help to lend credibility to the cycling community that will visit your classes (btw, I'm primarily a rec road rider & mtb some as well). However, it's not a deal breaker, and word to the wise, don't get too hung up on "outside".

I say this because a lot of your IDC students are average gym go-ers that are looking for a good cardio work-out. Be knowledgeable about what you do, but don't over-kill the technical stuff. Keep it fun, up-beat, and mix-it-up.

I think if you have a passion for what you do, sharing it with others comes thru. Good Luck:cool:.