PDA

View Full Version : SUNDAY: 30 OR 47 miles

cindysue
09-23-2005, 11:23 AM
Hey everyone,

While I have a meeting on Saturday morning, they can't take away all of my fun. Hope to see you on Sunday morning. Should be a good turn-out of men and women so bring your SOs:

Sunday, September 25, 2005
8:00am Meet at Lake Merritt - Fairyland parking lot entrance (Bellevue and Grand)

30 Mile Route (roughly 2600 feet of climbing): Starting at Lake Merritt we'll climb Broadway to cross Highway 24 where it picks up Tunnel Road. Tunnel Road is a steady climb to Skyline Blvd with beautiful views of the bay area. Skyline is mostly rolling hills, but there is one steady climb at the end, followed by an exciting (steep and windy) descent to the intersection of Joaquin Miller road. Bear left on Skyline at the intersection of Joaquin Miller then descend fast through the redwood forest on Redwood Road. Climb the east side of the park on Pinehurst Road. There is a one mile climb on Pinehurst before descending to the intersection of Canyon Road. Turn right on Canyon for a short climb and descent into Moraga. Turn left on Moraga Road, which turns into Camino Pablo when the road crosses under highway 24. END at Orinda BART. Please bring extra money for BART

We'll stop in Moraga or Orinda for Br/Lunch (pack it or bring $$) BEFORE swinging by the BART station. I anticipate a nice 15 minute Br/Lunch break with a few stops before and after to catch our breath and re-energize with free LUNA/Clif performance product.

47 mile route (4000 ft of climbing): Continue on Camino Pablo and turn left at Wildcat Canyon. The climb up Wildcat is initially steep, but levels out some after a mile and continues with a gradual climb. Continue on Wildcat and turn left on Shasta for a half mile steep climb to Grizzly Peak Blvd. Turn left on Grizzly Peak and stay on it as it climbs through Berkeley into the Oakland Hills. Continue on Grizzly Peak until it ends at a left turn onto Skyline Blvd. Stay on Skyline to Snake and descend into Oakland via Mountain and Park Blvd. This route will take us approximately 4-5 hours including breaks along the way.

Trek420
09-23-2005, 11:45 AM
I'm outa the loop for both Sat & Sunday loops.

Saturday I plan to take my road bike in for minor tweaking and my shop has shown me this teeny tiny itsy bitsy gauge they will put on my cable that will show me the gear I'm in. Looks kinda cute and waaaaay cheaper than Campy Ergo Brain, my other option. Sunday my cousin is here from Geneva and it's the best time for me to see her so up to Sonoma I go.

Have a great ride everyone.

cindysue
09-23-2005, 04:47 PM
Hey Dita!

I sent a gal over to the Velo Girls who was looking for a club to ride with for the BAO (since the Lunachix will be behind the scenes for this one)

sounds like a nice weekend - toys and family - have fun!

Trek420
09-23-2005, 08:00 PM
hey cindysue

thanks for recruiting, we'll send you a toaster

trek

cindysue
09-24-2005, 09:48 PM
LOL! Can I have some bagels with that?

Bike Goddess
09-24-2005, 10:01 PM
:D Hey Cindy Sue- I'm doing Miner's Road tomorrow (up east side of Mt Hamilton-we'll see how far I go). Doing metric centuries right now- have a contest going with another Bike Journal member. ends on October 2nd. Your ride sounds challenging too! Have fun! :) :) :) :) :) :)

cindysue
09-26-2005, 05:00 PM
:D Hey Cindy Sue- I'm doing Miner's Road tomorrow (up east side of Mt Hamilton-we'll see how far I go).

How was that? Mt. Hamilton is on my top 5 list of rides yet to do (along with Old La Honda and Morgan Territory)

This sunday were doing a 65 miler (or a 30 miler)....

Bike Goddess
09-27-2005, 10:30 AM
Cindy Sue- Sent you email about Sunday ride :) :). Stopped about 15 miles before Mt Hamilton-back side. Have to figure out how to do that ride again, include Mt Hamilton and then some place to come back that isn't too far away. Possibly just turn around and come back. It's much easier going to Livermore- mostly down hill! That would make an 88 mile round trip. Only caveat- no supplies on way up except for Junction cafe. Would have to figure out water, etc.