PDA

View Full Version : knee problems after spinning

thumper123
11-21-2010, 04:24 PM
after a spin class i find my knees hurt at the top sides, the points where if you were sat down, where your knees come together. i have had to sleep with a hot water bottle between my knees! it almost feels like an ache or a sun burn. I don't have the pain during a class only after...and it lasts for a few days...and then if my knees generally feel fine, but then i get on the treadmill i have to stop as i can feel it, i know if i start jogging, i would end up injuring them. But when i have jogged without having done any spin classes for ages then i am fine, so its def due to spinning.

at the moment i have just let them recover but will hopefully try another spin class soon.

I have asked for advice from the instructor who showed me how to set up the bike and told me to keep my knees inline. I think the problem might be that when i get tired/put the resistance up too high my knees automatically go inwards. I also dont think i keep my feet straight on the pedals.

Just wondered if anyone else had similar problems or ideas on what else could cause the pain or if you think this could be it? it is a nuisance as i really enjoy the classes, and don't want to give them up. i Also outdoor cycle everyday as that is my transport but I dont get any knee problems from that.

Cheers,thumper

Catrin
11-22-2010, 04:40 AM
after a spin class i find my knees hurt at the top sides, the points where if you were sat down, where your knees come together...just wondered if anyone else had similar problems or ideas on what else could cause the pain or if you think this could be it? it is a nuisance as i really enjoy the classes, and don't want to give them up. i Also outdoor cycle everyday as that is my transport but I dont get any knee problems from that.

Cheers,thumper

Wondering about your fore/aft seat position on the bike. I had problems like this early in the year until my instructor micro-adjusted one of the bikes to fit me. It took care of the problem immediately. Is this something you can check into with the help of your instructor?

rubywagon
11-22-2010, 04:54 AM
I have noticed my right knee feeling the same since I have put my bike onto the trainer. I think it is due to mashing the pedals/using too high of a gear, like you mentioned. Try spinning with less resistance and if the problem continues, make little adjustments to your positioning.

thumper123
11-22-2010, 01:01 PM
Thanks for your replies

Catrin what do you mean by fore/aft position of the sadle? is this moving it backwards or forwards? I was shown where abouts to have the seat..next time i go I will write it down.

greenbean yeh i need to reduce the resistance its annoying though as I want to work hard and get my heart rate up high!

indysteel
11-22-2010, 02:49 PM
Yes, fore/aft refers to moving the saddle forward or back. You might play around with it as there's no one right rule of thumb to follow. Most instructors will tell you that your knee should be above the pedal spindle when your foot is in the 3 o'clock position. But that's a general rule. I need to be farther back than that.

That said, you likely nee to dial down the resistance. You should strive to maintain proper form first and foremost. As for getting your heartrate up, you should be able to do that by increasing your cadence using a pedal resistance that doesn't overly tax your knees. Frankly,those drills get my heart rate higher than climbing drills.

Catrin
11-23-2010, 06:19 AM
I have also found that my knees do NOT like the toe cages on the spinning bikes. Do you clip in for spinning class?

Irulan
11-23-2010, 07:31 AM
Thanks for your replies

Catrin what do you mean by fore/aft position of the sadle? is this moving it backwards or forwards? I was shown where abouts to have the seat..next time i go I will write it down.

greenbean yeh i need to reduce the resistance its annoying though as I want to work hard and get my heart rate up high!

Having resistance up ( "mashing" ) is not a good way to get a great workout. It's very stressful on your knees, and certainly not how you build endurance or strength. Really, a good spin instructor shouldn't allow or teach mashing as the detriments far outweigh any benefit.

thumper123
11-23-2010, 09:26 AM
thankyou for the great advice. I think I will try to not follow what the instructer says and keep the resistance lower.

i will fiddle with the fore/aft however it's only after the class I feel the discomfort, during I feel fine, so I won't know if I will have pain untill later.

Catrin - wondered about the toe cages..I don't think they are removeable though. Do you know if you need to keep your foot straight i.e no pointing down with the toes..not sure what I do will have to check next time.

WindingRoad
12-04-2010, 04:12 PM
You always want to keep your feet flat, never point that's terrible on your knees. Just pay attention to your body, don't listen to the instructor if you are hurting, even if it is after class. So many spin instructors have really bad form, proceed with caution on their advice. I have to say though the cages always tear me up too, clipping in makes my feet and knees much happier.

Miranda
12-20-2010, 07:02 PM
thankyou for the great advice. I think I will try to not follow what the instructer says and keep the resistance lower.

i will fiddle with the fore/aft however it's only after the class I feel the discomfort, during I feel fine, so I won't know if I will have pain untill later.

Catrin - wondered about the toe cages..I don't think they are removeable though. Do you know if you need to keep your foot straight i.e no pointing down with the toes..not sure what I do will have to check next time.

Hi :) I teach Spinning and will say the knees could be the fore/aft position. Sometimes even if you are set up right (by yourself, and/or instructor) the seat slider can come slightly loose, and shift during a ride. Simply use your brake to stop your bike mid class, re-check it, and adjust / tighten to the correct position.

In terms of resistance level, I always tell my students at the beginning of every class, and remind during, that any knee pain... back it off... listen to your body... always "muscles working / challenge... never knee joint hurting / injured".

The toe cages are generally sized to fit a man's street shoe US 10. If your foot is not that, you make some compromises to make it work. I wish as an instructor that cycling shoes & cleats could come free to students that commit to ride. It makes such a huge difference. For most people it's a money issue in buying them. Ride once with them, you would never want to go back.

Good Luck:cool:.

p.s. edit/add: also, besides not mashing... focus on pulling up (upstroke)... this is where being clipless really helps too... it's another way to get intenstiy & work on your form... sometimes I cue for my students to pretend they "have a piece of paper sliding under the ball of their foot, i.e. don't mash"... it's really a challege to do & something everyone needs reminder of.

Melalvai
12-21-2010, 08:32 AM
This is a good thread to read. My spin instructor is clearly one of the good guys. When the front of my knee was hurting, despite that my seat was at a good height, he told me to dial down the resistance.