PDA

View Full Version : Weirdest ride ever

Crankin
11-20-2010, 12:15 PM
OK, DH had the great idea that we should ride to see the site of our "final resting place," a cemetery which was just consecrated a couple of weeks ago. We bought the plots 2 years ago, when the only Jewish cemetery in the western suburbs of Boston decided to expand. He was being very "glib" about it, which I thought was a little disrespectful, but since it's riding in a direction we usually don't go in, I said sure.
It's about a 10-11 mile ride, by Walden Pond and generally nice scenery, although on a main 2 lane road. I felt strange the whole way there, although it's a very nice day out. When we got there, after the first few feet, the road was gravel, and not really hard packed, as no one "lives" there yet, so no cars have been riding in. Was not really thrilled about riding on the gravel on my skinny tires, either. We rode up to our "section," where DH proceeded to take pictures of our plots and I finally said I had to get out of there. It is a very peaceful spot, though. As soon as I turned onto the main road, I felt 100% better and we had a beautiful ride through Great Meadows and back through a part of Concord I rarely do through. We stopped and had lunch at a farm and rode home from there, for a total of 29.5 miles.

XMcShiftersonX
11-20-2010, 12:47 PM
Though it's creepy to think about, it's good you guys have that all planned out. We just attended a memorial of my husband's friend and his wife was talking about how nice the funeral was because her husband had time to plan everything down to the music. I know it's morbid to think about, but can you imagine how comforting it would be to hear the music your loved one specifically picked out? Not to mention not having to worry about things like that while you're mourning. I guess I'm a little morbid, but being an ICU nurse I'm constantly surrounded by death and I think about these things a lot.

Melalvai
11-20-2010, 01:28 PM
That is really beautiful. That is a good point that having everything planned out ahead of time will help our loved ones. I would love to have a final resting place picked in a spot that I could bicycle to and enjoy during my lifetime. It would mean more to my friends and family knowing that I had already enjoyed visiting the spot.

malkin
11-20-2010, 04:26 PM
It really does sound beautiful, although after reading the story, my thoughts wandered to one of my kookier cousins who had her portrait taken lying down on our great, great grandmother's grave.

Kiwi Stoker
11-21-2010, 12:19 AM
A friend told me his parents brought plots overlooking the house they built together. It sounds nice to have something mapped out in advance and not just in a rush.

After my grandmother was buried, her sister who couldn't make it to the furneral, requested photos of her grave and DH's grandma has LOTS of photos of her husbands furneral, including the open coffin.

Once a year the family visits his grave site and they all stand and have photos around the headstone. Different cultures, beliefs etc. I think at least it is nice that he is remembered in a special way.

Crankin
11-21-2010, 04:37 AM
Malkin, don't worry, no pictures of anyone lying down on a grave. Although, DH did threaten to do this...
I told my kids I wanted the song "Champagne Supernova" at my funeral. One laughed his head off and the other thought it was disrespectful.

Selkie
11-21-2010, 09:34 AM
I bet your final resting place sounds nice, Crankin. And your husband will be next to you forever. Since you have kids, it'll be good that they will have a place to come and visit you.

"Freebird." That's what I want them to play at my funeral. My husband might have a hard time finding a priest who will allow it!!

I'm being cremated, my ashes mixed w/those of my beloved dog Agnes, and my husband is required to go on a vacation to the Caribbean and cast us into the ocean.

OakLeaf
11-21-2010, 09:56 AM
It does sound like a nice spot.

I'm reminded of one of the first rides I took with a couple who have since become my frequent riding buddies and friends, but at the time I hardly knew them. They were planning to ride past my house on the way to visit the grave of their aunt, who had passed a few months earlier, and invited me along. It struck me a little weird too, but it was a pretty day and a nice ride. We stopped at the cemetery, had a Clif bar and went on.

I hope "green burial" becomes more acceptable by the time it's my turn. It really bothers me that what should be the final natural process of returning my body to the earth that nourished it, instead is super toxic. There are no cemeteries anywhere near me that allow non-embalmed burial, and I can't see that the carbon cost of transporting my body someplace that does allow it, could possibly be any less than cremation. :(

malkin
11-21-2010, 10:41 AM
How 'bout this:
http://obit-mag.com/articles/coming-through-the-lye

Crankin
11-21-2010, 11:07 AM
Funny though, I never visit my mom's grave, even though it's in this state. I'd rather remember her the "way" she was. But, everyone is really different about this. Thankfully, my parents had the presence of mind to buy plots when I was young, so even though they moved 3 times since then, I was able to have the funeral here, with the clergy of my choice.
Plenty of people ride or run in Sleepy Hollow Cemetery http://www.concordma.gov/pages/concordma_cemetery/sleepy, for the history. I have yet to go in there, but most likely it will be on foot.

OakLeaf
11-21-2010, 11:14 AM
That definitely makes it sound "greener" than the articles that hit the popular press last month. Then again, it's a trade mag... It's definitely interesting, though.

malkin
11-21-2010, 11:41 AM
I've just spent the last hour poking around Obit magazine. I don't think it is exactly a trade mag. Some of the ads, certainly, but interesting reading for a snowy day.