PDA

View Full Version : Living in Asheville ?

bouncybouncy
09-21-2005, 11:45 AM
As many of you read in various posts...I AM MOVING TO ASHEVILLE, NC
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :D

Anyway (after jumping around for joy and excitement) my wonderful fiancee and i are headed up in a couple of weeks to look for houses...is there anyone out there (doc?) familiar with the area? We are looking for a house in a location near easily accessable road rides (something we do not need to drive to) and MTBike trails. I am also dead-set determined to commute by bicycle 40/52 (40 hours a week/ 52 weeks) of the year...my job will be on Town Mountain (a real easy climb from downtown)-(Cherokee Road to be exact) and my dear SO will be working from home (now that is what i call a commute) **do you think i can convince him to do all the house work during my commuting hours???** ;) won't that be a dream come true...haha

Thanks in advance for ANY input at all!!!!

emily_in_nc
09-23-2005, 04:58 PM
Bouncy...I'm in central NC so haven't done any riding in the western part of the state; however, I found this:

http://www.blueridgebicycleclub.org/

Have you seen it? Sounds like a great club! Perhaps you could post your question about housing locations/ride locations on their bulletin board, or just check out their various club rides to see where they start, then tell your realtor you want to be close to that!

You are going to have a blast in Asheville! :)

Emily

Blueberry
09-23-2005, 06:19 PM
I don't know Asheville well enough to give you location information BUT I can tell you that there is an incredible map with the "bike friendly" roads in different colors. I picked mine up for free at Liberty Bicycles. I would suggest getting your hands on one of those and then looking for places to live down bike friendly roads within a reasonable distance.

Good luck and congratulations again!

Carrie Anne

bouncybouncy
09-30-2005, 11:17 AM
Thanks Gals!!!! I have been to Liberty *Great shop! got a few maps and spoke to a couple very friendly staffers!!! Been to the BRBclub website and posted on inquiry on the forum *no response as of yet though :(

Have already made a few friends in the cycling community and bending their brains on good locales as well....we are going in a couple weeks to find some property (if no luck we are returning in December) The final move will be in March...I am soo excited and just about to pop at the seams!!! Can't wait to get back to the good life...have you seen what is going on down here??? Crazy world....

neredowell
11-29-2005, 06:10 PM
I went to Warren Wilson College (funky place; check it out) outside of Asheville and lived there for 5 years. I haven't lived there in a long time, but I'm still connected. Around Spooks Branch Road, off Beaverdam Road, there are lots of possible neighborhoods (you'll have to do some Mapquesting to get the lay of the land there). Anything in that area will connect you to trail roads or road-ride roads.

If you can afford it, anything remotely close to the neighborhood surrounding Grove Park Inn (I'd recommend a Google Mapquest combo to figure this out) will get you to that same road/trial option.

This is just one point of view. There are many, many neighborhoods that can suit your stated needs.

I have to add that Malaprops is the best independent bookstore in the Southeast, IMHO. Have fun. It's a wonderful city. Old hippies don't die, they just reincarnate in Asheville.

Trekhawk
11-29-2005, 06:17 PM
Ok girls where is bouncybouncy? Havent seen her around for awhile.
She hasnt moved yet right?