PDA

View Full Version : First mtb night ride

SalsaMTB
09-21-2005, 05:31 AM
With the days getting shorter and the work hourse getting longer :( it was getting tough to ride during the week, especially a mtb ride. DH and I splurged and bought some lights a couple weeks ago and have done several evening road rides. Last night though, we decided to try a night time mtb ride instead of the road ride. He has done this many times in the past but this was my first. We went to a trail I have never been that fond of (for some reason, I just can't get a good ride on it) but it's the shortest drive from our home. We started our ride with him in the lead and he kept a slower pace so I could keep up. Then he took off a bit so I was on my own. A couple turns caught me off guard but then I got used to the set up. I must say, it was one of the best rides I've ever had. I didn't expect to love night riding as much as I did. I actually felt like I rode better than I have in a while. It really makes you focus on what is coming ahead instead of what you're currently going over. Something about night riding really gave me confidence on the trail. I felt like a kid on a bike again. DH then let me lead for a while and it really pushed me to just let go on the downhills. There were a couple raccoons running in front of me for a bit that eventually took off. It was such an amazing ride and I'm itching to get out there again. I never knew a trail I once disliked could be so great to ride at night.

So, with the days getting shorter, I say get a light and start night riding. It's something I now look forward to at the end of a long work day. It really feels like just you and the trail.

Adventure Girl
09-21-2005, 06:18 AM
It really makes you focus on what is coming ahead instead of what you're currently going over.I need to look up the trail more. I have a bad habit of watching the ground in front of my front wheel. Night riding forces you to look ahead without even thinking about it!
So, with the days getting shorter, I say get a light and start night riding.TWO lights are even better. One on the helmet shows where you are looking. One on the bar shows where the bike is facing. The second light really helps!

I'm glad you had a good time! Night riding is really fun! Riding the same trails in the dark feels completely different.

SadieKate
09-21-2005, 07:02 AM
AG and Salsa. What setups are you using? We have such a fun experience suporting the runners at the Tri that we're thinking of doing more night riding.

Adventure Girl
09-21-2005, 07:28 AM
AG and Salsa. What setups are you using? We have such a fun experience suporting the runners at the Tri that we're thinking of doing more night riding.On my bar I use a Light & Motion Arc Li-ion HID. It is really nice (but really expensive).
Lithium ion battery
2.5 hours charges to 80%
3.5 hour burn time
675 lumens

On my helmet I use a Light & Motion Cabeza Logic (discontinued).
Nickel metal hydride
14 hour charge time (I have 2 batteries)
2 hour burn time
300 lumens (not nearly as bright)

I bought the Cabeza light for commuting a long time ago. I bought the ARC and the second batter for the Cabeza for 24-hour racing because I needed to be able to do 2 night laps (about an hour each).

Try it. It's a blast! I have two nite-rider setups (old and heavy) that I could loan you if you want to give it a try.

SalsaMTB
09-21-2005, 07:42 AM
I have a NiteRider Evolution. I mounted it to my helmet and the battery goes in my camelback. I got it for around $120 at my lbs and it has a burn time of 2:20 hours at 10W. It seemed bright enough for me, but this is the first light I've tried.

I also have a cheap tail light on the back because I have to ride some roads to get to the trail (parks close the gates at dusk). It isn't necessary for the trail but I feel much safer with it on the road.

You should definitely give it a try, it's like a whole new trail!

SadieKate
09-21-2005, 07:52 AM
On my bar I use a Light & Motion Arc Li-ion HID. It is really nice (but really expensive).Pick one, gold or crude oil, either is cheaper. :D

I have two nite-rider setups (old and heavy) that I could loan you if you want to give it a try.Thank you for the offer! The lights we borrowed from the shop were a L&M Halogen model (I think, I have to ask) and Bill had a NiteRider Classic Dual Beam.

I think we're going to ask to borrow them again and switch them around. Bill really liked the amount of light from the NiteRider even on the lower settings but he did say the weight on the bars was heavy. I'll also figure out which of the L&M models I had, but the weight wasn't noticeable and I was riding a cross bike across rough terrain. We were literally riding through the dirt in the oak grove, over a torn up slope and across a curb. When I realized what I was comfortable with in the dark and without suspension, I was sold - at least for the safe stuff around campus.

I like the idea of starting with a L&M so I could move it to my helmet when I want. Right now, I could just use my Petzl for an emergency back-up - not like we're going to go over any cliffs or find blind corners out in the fields.