PDA

View Full Version : Tools & Supplies

Veronica
04-05-2003, 02:49 PM
What does everyone carry with them when they ride?

I have 2 CO2 cartridges, a spare tube, tube repair kit, a couple of allen wrenches, chain tool, tire irons, a mini leatherman, and most importantly a cell phone!

Veronica

newfsmith
04-05-2003, 05:14 PM
Instead of the little bit of perforated metal that comes with most patch kits, I carry a1.5" square of the 3M sandingfoam in a fine grit. I get better patches using it. You can get them at most hardware stores or Home depot. I cut the sheets into 4 to 6 pieces. They also work to help clean brake pads. One of my bikes I use some really tight fitting tires on, so I carry the Kool-stop tire changer for it. I also carry a spare tube. If it is dark, it is just easier to change the tube and wait until I'm home to find the hole and patch it. Also Duct tape or something to use for a boot. For myself, I carry some disinfectant wipes, antibiotic ointment and bandages.

Irulan
04-05-2003, 06:40 PM
seatbag: spare tube, tire irons, some change.

camelbak: small pump, water, mini first aid (crash) kit, cliff bars, multi tool, ID. Layers as weather dictate.

Irulan

goddess1222
04-05-2003, 07:01 PM
seat pack: tire levers, hex set, spare tube, 2 patch kits,small monkey wrench, chain breaker, extra locking pins.

windproof jacket jersey pocket: cell phone, small wash cloth, ID, cash, luna bars, powdered gatorade. extra dog bones.

and the most important thing to my entire gear list: GLITTER LIP GLOSS.

i also keep a few dog bones taped to my stem.

Veronica
04-05-2003, 07:24 PM
I'm so glad I don't have to worry about dogs.

I'm happy to see I'm not the only one who carries around a bunch of stuff. My husband is even more of nut about gear. On the tandem we carry an extra tire, and so much food we could feed a small army. 'Cause hey you never know.

Veronica

gapgoil
04-06-2003, 01:08 PM
I usually carry my multi-tool, which has everything needed for a quick fix. A small air pump, tire levers, spare tube, some TP, soapless hand cleaner, LIP GLOSS, (very important)a choc. bar, cell phone, digital video camera...and sunscreen if needed.
Geez, I thought I carried light until I wrote it all down.... and I seem to be missing some stuff that you gals have.....guess it's time for a new Camel Bak!!!
:p

annette
04-08-2003, 06:42 AM
Alien multitool, spare tube, patch kit, CO2 and cartridge, lip gloss, small first aid kit, white lightening lube, drivers license, a small amount of cash and a cell phone.

missliz
04-09-2003, 12:07 AM
Y'all forgot body glitter. Very important. ;)
Has any body ever gotten fed up and just called a cab to haul you in to the LBS? I carry all that stuff, but every two years or so I just don't feel like it and tell United cab to send out a minivan. I told this girl at the gym that the other day and you'd think I'd suggested having a black mass.
I always have Bullfrog spf 45 sunscreen stashed- the sun down here will burn the skin off your back in the summer. Also coaches tape, works for bike repairs and closing up wounds, compressing things trying to swell, ect. Good for ripped gloves and a quick fix for torn clothes.

missliz

goddess1222
04-09-2003, 11:07 AM
AMEN ON THE BODY GLITTER!!!!!!!!!!

MM_QFC!
04-09-2003, 02:01 PM
Note to self: add body glitter to shopping list...gotta get some o' that missliz pizzazz!!! Thank you for this most important tip!

missliz
04-10-2003, 12:24 AM
I recommend you look for unscented- most of it is made for chicks who still actually are sixteen (instead of growing old ungracefully by thinking they're sixteen) and tends to have vanilla smell. This is cute at high school but icky with mud blood snot and sweat. Put it on after the sunscreen dries.:D
I also recommend aquiring a tiara- My ENT surgeon told me this. Don't put it in the pack, just take the attitude along. Dr Ear says they won't let hers in the OR, but the ownership alone works just as well. That's the sumpremely confident grand duchess of the universe attitude, not the cheerleading princess attitude. Make sure you get the right kind of tiara, (BIG, very sparkly) you don't want to turn all wussy. It's a kind of Diagnon Alley distinction.
And yes I am on drugs-:D Managed to fall and sprain the whole right side of my body in the rain yesterday. The cool part- it happened right outside one of the best trauma center ERs in the country. Cute young docs picked me up and carried me in, didn't have to wait. Isn't that funny? I usually fall and hurt myself in inconvenient places like the middle of a wilderness preserve. And I'll be fine in a day or two. Why do you always have to argue to get injuries iced right away in the ER? It cuts your recovery time to a fraction, and you'd think they'd know that. If it's purple, it needs ice, NOW!
Nother thing for the Camelback- Ziplock baggie to beg ice at scary redneck bars for things that are swelling.

Blah blah blah love vicodan, could chat for hours and pages.

missliz :p happy happy

goddess1222
04-10-2003, 11:23 AM
this is so funny, i was in a store yesterday and picked up a nice tiara and almost bought it. maybe i should.

Irulan
04-10-2003, 11:30 AM
haha, tiara that's a good one! Would you glue it on your helmet?

I do'nt wear make up, lip gloss or body glitter, but I do love "girly" bike wear: bright colors, flowers on my socks, colors that go with my frame and so on.

geargrrl

goddess1222
04-10-2003, 05:29 PM
actually i think the tiara would be best mounted on the stem, surrounding my dog bones.

missliz
04-11-2003, 12:02 AM
Actually, they make little baby tiaras that may fit around the head tube, that's where I'd put one, but I wear one of the regular ones around the house every once in a while. Fixes a sad head. Besides, it'd be tough to clean. Just pack the attitude.
And Irulan, I live in New Orleans. I have a special Mardi Gras day helmet with ostrich plumes and sparkly stuff, rhinestones, diffraction stickers, it's a diadem/ noggin crash pad all in one. :D Actually, the body glitter only comes out a few days a season, I like flower and butterfly clothes for the daily grind too. But some days are special, you can feel it.

goddess1222
04-11-2003, 03:16 PM
actually, i keep one in my "spa" drawer in the bathroom, so when i go in for a good soak after a ride, i put that sucker on. i also make a lot of jewelry in my off time, and i wear that too.

but true, there is a tiara for every event. Mardi Gras, taking a bath, vaccuming etc.

i agree with taking the attitude with you all the time.

RoxGirl77
08-01-2003, 10:40 AM
I agree. We must have a little something to prove that "I am a girl and YES I can ride!"

I like to wear PINK as much as possible when I ride. It reminds me that I'm girly... and also all the cute bikers you pass once you are covered in dirt, sweat and mud can still tell you are a girl! (hopefully not too much mud!;) )

I bought the Precarious PINK "Biker Chick" Jersey off the TE website, http://www.teamestrogen.com/images/products/PR-BCJ-PIN_lrg.jpg and love it, love it, love it! My friends can all pick me out from a crowd, that's for sure. (It was great for the last race I was in.)

And tiara, eh??? That sounds lke something I'd definitely do!

missliz
08-01-2003, 08:13 PM
Well, girls, I've been down with an ice bag on my knee all summer, then yesterday I heard about a new Mt bike club building a trail network in the spillway (big swampy public land) and am feeling reaaly bike interested again.
Since I've been blowing cash on pink Manolos I can't walk in and tiaras (27! and counting) it's just too funny to find this in my mailbox. I should be wearing pink on the trail too! I am Eloise! I am six! I should be on my bike again!
Roxgirl, I can't get the tiara on the helmet without compromising its safety, so you get a doll tiara (they make 'em) and use round nose pliers to bend the ends of the headband into hooks. Put it around the headtube, bend very gently to get it to fit, and use a rubber band through the hooks to secure it. You may need to do some fiddling to get it to sit over a head tube badge- I ride an old Zaskar and don't have that encumbrance. A little sponge padding can help.
You want it removeable to clean it. A dirty tiara is not quite quite.
They come in doll size, for fat head tubes, and Barbie size, for skinny head tubes. Have fun.
I also always found that a nice rhinestone necklace, colors are best, really sets off a hard body in spandex. And easier to fool with than the tiara thing. You ban get a cool one on Ebay for a few bucks, and then not sob over losing it in the woods. Sweat wears them out.

missliz

Oh, the "can ride" part- just ride away from them. Nothing puts order in the universe like a blazing show of athletic superiority.

RoxGirl77
08-01-2003, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by missliz
missliz

Oh, the "can ride" part- just ride away from them. Nothing puts order in the universe like a blazing show of athletic superiority.

You are so right!! My girlfriend can do that, I am still working up to it. I'd love to blow past guys on uphills with enough energy to say "Hi. Nice day, isn't it?" and all I'd get in reply is grunting! ;)

missliz
08-02-2003, 01:56 AM
Well, are you ready to do the boring work?
Ride drills. Ride intervals. Go on the cement and pedal squares 'till your butt aches (rest the next day! And eat lots of protein, you need it to make hamstrings)). Remember the last four Tours de Lance when he went up the Pyrynees on an elevator by spinning in a high cadence? It's not about the bike, it's all about the spin technique.
What happened to him this year? He climbed like a fagged out dog. No dance. He was SO lucky Ulrich ate the asphalt.
Guys will muscle up things because they can. Women have to finesse things, and we tend to be good about training, so it's perfectly possible to blow the fellows away in your dust. I've done it, and the satisfaction is indescribable. Some of those guys wrench at my shop, and boy do I get good service!
My god, they're playing Marvin Gaye's 12 inch live version of "We're Having A Party" on the radio! Wonders never cease. I thought I had the last copy of it in the world, on vinyl.
Anyway, I fenced for years, and kicked a lot of men (and women) up and down the gym. Technique, form, conditioning is everything. Gender becomes less of an issue every year in a lot of sports. Women are smaller, lighter, good for the climbs, and we can go get the muscle to do the job.
Go girl!

missliz :p