PDA

View Full Version : Specialized Ruby-New for 2006

KatieBelle
09-20-2005, 10:26 AM
I just got off the phone with the Specialized sales representative and the rumors alluded to by MickChick in reply to my other post are true! For 2006, Specialized is introducing the Ruby, which will be an all carbon fiber bike made just for women. MSRP starts at $2200. Information about the Ruby should be posted on the Specialized web site next week. It sounds awesome. They are due to arrive in stores within the next five days. I can't wait to test drive one.

Darn, I forgot to ask about the colors. :rolleyes:

Susie
09-20-2005, 12:43 PM
I just did some googling and found out that the bike only comes in "carbon" -- basically a black-gray. I guess that they felt they'd leave the paint off to save on weight or something.

http://www.leisurewheels.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b3s6p1363

Susie

Selkie
09-20-2005, 01:20 PM
I'M IN HEAVEN!!!! Thanks KatieBelle!!! Guess where I'll be going this weekend?

Trekhawk
09-20-2005, 03:32 PM
I just did some googling and found out that the bike only comes in "carbon" -- basically a black-gray. I guess that they felt they'd leave the paint off to save on weight or something.

http://www.leisurewheels.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b3s6p1363
Susie

I like being able to see the weave of the carbon on bikes, it really is quite beautiful up close. :)

KatieBelle
09-20-2005, 07:17 PM
What a beauty! I agree that the weave of the carbon is so beautiful. Sigh.

Selkie
09-21-2005, 12:52 PM
I spoke w/my LBS about the Ruby today. He checked the system and said that it will NOT be available---at least here in the DC metro area---until November or December. :( Glass half full: it will give me time to set save up to buy it and now, there's something to look forward to!!

Dirtbabe
09-22-2005, 03:46 PM
Well, finally some talk about the Ruby! While I've been an avid reader of the discussion forums this is my first post. I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of a Ruby at my LBS (Princeton Sports in Columbia, Md.). They have ordered a variety of Specialized bikes and are not certain when the Ruby will get there. I did get to see the dealer's 2006 product book - there are 3 versions of the bike. The Pro is the top and is carbon with touches of red. I think the mid level is the Comp and has touches of blue. Can't remember the entry level as I wasn't focused on it. At any rate, can't wait it give it a whirl! Glad to see there are others out there just as excited.

eofelis
09-22-2005, 06:37 PM
The Specialized dealer LBS here in town is "Ruby Canyon Cycles".

They're gonna love this!

Selkie
09-23-2005, 12:56 AM
Well, finally some talk about the Ruby! While I've been an avid reader of the discussion forums this is my first post. I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of a Ruby at my LBS (Princeton Sports in Columbia, Md.). They have ordered a variety of Specialized bikes and are not certain when the Ruby will get there. I did get to see the dealer's 2006 product book - there are 3 versions of the bike. The Pro is the top and is carbon with touches of red. I think the mid level is the Comp and has touches of blue. Can't remember the entry level as I wasn't focused on it. At any rate, can't wait it give it a whirl! Glad to see there are others out there just as excited.

dirtbabe---The guy who sold me my Dolce Comp told me about the Ruby earlier this summer but he thought it was going to be an all-carbon Dolce. I've been telling folks here about an upcoming Specialized all carbon WSD bike since June. So there's been talk about the Ruby, but just under a different "handle." ;) I'll be interested to see just how much they want for the Comp, as the "entry level" model probably will be the one for $2.2K.

Dirtbabe
09-23-2005, 07:07 AM
If memory serves, the Pro was priced around low to mid 4K, the mid level, which my husband thinks is the Expert, is priced at around 3K. The Pro has all Dura Ace with an upgraded frame (ie greater carbon content), the Expert has Ultegra and shares the same frame quality with the entry level. The Ruby will also have a compact crank. I'm interested in the Expert. I have heard very good things about the Dolce and have a Stumpjumper 120 Pro which is just a great bike so I'm figuring the Ruby will be as well.

sarahkonamojo
09-23-2005, 12:28 PM
If you head over to the specialized site and search for Ruby you'll be able to see the specs etc on the Ruby. Couldn't find it on the site through the normal links, i.e. "new for 2006..."

Prices listed were $2200 comp, $2800 expert, $4400 pro. Whoa, do you get an extra set of legs with that? I'm looking at the expert...

Something to look forward to,
http://www.specializedbikes.com/
SKM

KatieBelle
09-23-2005, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the information. I can't wait to test ride this bike.

JmcG
09-26-2005, 12:17 PM
I put down $$ a couple of weeks ago for the Ruby Expert (was considering the Pro, but couldn't bring myself to spend that kind of $$ right now). My LBS says it should be in by mid-late October. The Comp is the "lowest end" (if you can call it that!) with Shimano 105 component group, Expert has full Ultegra, and Pro is the Dura-Ace. All are 10-speed.

I'm so excited to get this bike - I currently ride a 2004 Specialized Dolce Elite, which I love and fits me so well, but I'm ready to upgrade, and since the geometry of the Specialized women's bike fits so well, I decided to stick with them. I'll report back as soon as I get my hands on the bike!!

Selkie
09-27-2005, 01:11 PM
JmcG - Which store let you pre-order? Spokes? Capitol Hill Bikes? I bought my Dolces (I have the comp and the elite) at those stores and talked to Jay at Spokes about the Ruby. I want to put down my deposit, too! ;)

JmcG
09-28-2005, 07:39 AM
mickchick - I pre-ordered mine from Spokes. I bought my Dolce from them also - I've gotten great service from them - so decided to buy my Ruby from them also. I go to the Belleview shop - and Mark is the sales person I deal with. He'd be happy to order one for you too I'm sure!

Selkie
09-28-2005, 08:32 AM
JmcG - I'll be heading to Spokes within the next couple of days. Many thanks! You're right about the excellent customer service. Much better than I got at Capitol Hill Bikes. The guy who sold me my Dolce comp at CHB was pretty good, but the hung over, bad attitude jerk who rang up my order cheated me out of a discount.

brok
09-30-2005, 09:16 AM
the Ruby to be like the Trek Pilot series that allows for a more upright riding position or a "true" road bike? Just wondering. Thanks

Selkie
09-30-2005, 11:28 AM
From the photos on the website, I'd say it's a true road bike like the Dolce.

Pedal Wench
09-30-2005, 12:50 PM
If memory serves, the Pro was priced around low to mid 4K, the mid level, which my husband thinks is the Expert, is priced at around 3K. The Pro has all Dura Ace with an upgraded frame (ie greater carbon content), the Expert has Ultegra and shares the same frame quality with the entry level. The Ruby will also have a compact crank. I'm interested in the Expert. I have heard very good things about the Dolce and have a Stumpjumper 120 Pro which is just a great bike so I'm figuring the Ruby will be as well.

Gorgeous bikes - love the wordplay with the Roubaix/Ruby.

I also noticed that the Pro has a Dura-Ace double crank, while the other models use an FSA compact crank - pick your model based on your riding styles!

Edit: I can't wait for someone here to post a story about going into their LBS to ask about the 'Ruby' and have some snooty LBS kid correcting her, with 'Roubaaaaaaix', and our hero correcting him, "No, RUBY, doofus..."

Selkie
10-01-2005, 06:17 AM
Gorgeous bikes - love the wordplay with the Roubaix/Ruby.

Edit: I can't wait for someone here to post a story about going into their LBS to ask about the 'Ruby' and have some snooty LBS kid correcting her, with 'Roubaaaaaaix', and our hero correcting him, "No, RUBY, doofus..."

Haha, that already called when I called to ask if my LBS was expecting any. Obviously, he had no idea Specialized was coming out w/the Ruby and asked me if I mean the 'roubaix.' After he looked it up and found the Ruby, he got all excited. For once, the 40+ year old broad knew more than the LBS dude.

Clare
10-01-2005, 07:41 AM
I haven't posted in awhile because life has been a little crazy. I wanted to post to this thread, though, because the LBS is going to hold the first Ruby Pro that comes in, in my size, for me. I wasn't going to spend this much money on a bike, but lets just say its a gift from my parents. I am going to give it a spin first and make sure we're ok with each other :o I am a little concerned about the dynamics of the bike, though. I have some lower back issues, so was looking for a more upright geometry without going to straight handlebars. But this bike is, I guess, a "real" road bike. So I don't know if I'll end up getting it. I'm hoping the bike fit (shorter top tube) will be the difference. Right now, I ride a specialize sequoia, and at times my back kills me when I go on long rides. I really need to do some serious inner core strenghtning exercises. This is what will make the most difference in the long run, I know. I can't wait to try this bike out and see how it feels. I'll let you know as soon as I do.

KatieBelle
11-04-2005, 07:17 PM
Anyone get to test ride one of these yet? :confused:

Clare
11-04-2005, 08:39 PM
Hi Katiebelle,

I've been riding my Ruby for just about a month now, and it is worth every penny I spent. It rides like a dream. Its light, and responsive, and makes going uphill easier! I used to get horrendous back aches with my Specialize Sequoia but have not had that problem with the Ruby even on really long rides.

Clare

KatieBelle
11-22-2005, 04:39 AM
I called the LBS yesterday, and they have a Ruby at the warehouse! I put down a deposit, and they are bringing it to the shop tomorrow for me to test ride. :) I am so excited. I am also going to try out the Trek Pilot 5.0 while I am there. I can't wait to see if this is the bike for me.

Elodie
01-22-2006, 04:17 PM
What is the ballpark price range one should expect? thanks:o

caligurl
01-23-2006, 07:06 AM
the black comp (105 components/FSA gossamer megaexo compact crank) is $2200

the blue expert (ultegra components/FSA SLK megaexo compact crank) is $2800

the ruby pro (all dura-ace including wheels) is $4400

ruby page at specialized's site (http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?sid=06Ruby)

TxRider
02-06-2006, 05:36 PM
I've been looking to upgrade my bike, but when I went to test out the Ruby at my LBS, they didn't have any. :( I can order one, but I really don't want to do this until I'm sure it's the right bike for me. Anyone from the Houston area that can suggest a shop that might have one in stock for a test ride?

caligurl
02-07-2006, 07:04 AM
my shop ordered my ruby pro for me (well... put one on order.. they weren't even out yet at that time)... i put down a deposit.. and had the option/right to get back my FULL deposit if i didn't like it... it didn't fit... or just didn't want it....

if they order it... are you obligated to take it?

TxRider
02-09-2006, 07:48 PM
Well, I checked w/the LBS today ... the guy I spoke with is going to check w/their buyer to see if they can get one for me to try out. I will probably have to put down some sort of deposit, but that's fine as long as I get the chance to ride it before making the final decision.

caligurl
02-10-2006, 07:19 AM
which ruby are you looking at/planning on trying? the comp? expert? or pro?

(i wish they had named them differently.. people call all three just the "ruby" whereas there's big differences between the 3! i think they should have named them: onyx, sapphire and ruby (black, blue, ruby colored :D :rolleyes: :cool: )

TxRider
02-10-2006, 04:26 PM
I will probably go w/the Expert. I want to make sure whatever I get will keep me happy for a long time! My current bike is a base model Allez & while I still like it a lot, I can definitely see that a higher end bike will be way more comfortable (& hopefully faster!).

After the LBS talked w/Specialized today, they told me that they didn't any in my size.

TxRider
02-10-2006, 04:38 PM
Oops-hate it when the laptop locks up! :(

Anyway, Specialized won't have a bike available to ship until sometime next week, so my BF made some phone calls today & found a shop about 30 minutes away that has a Comp in stock that I can test. It will give me an idea on the fit & also the differences between it & my current bike. So, we're planning to drive out that way this weekend & test it out! :D

(BF is planning to get a new bike as well - a Roubaix.)

salsabike
02-14-2006, 08:21 PM
Just as proof of how obsessed we all are in general, I was reading the newspaper today and saw this headline: "Ruby sold to charity benefits all". I thought, "Why on earth would someone sell her Ruby to a charity? Especially since it must be a pretty new bike?"

(It was referring to a donated ruby necklace).