PDA

View Full Version : ALC5---It's real now!

shadon
09-19-2005, 09:08 PM
I got my number tonight....yikes! Gotta get on the stick!
Raising money is gonna be piece of cake compared to getting in shape to do this ride! But somehow, I think I can do this!

Oh my doG!

DirtDiva
09-20-2005, 03:09 AM
I mean, you've got your TeamE cheering section sorted. :D

Rakekay
09-20-2005, 04:27 AM
What is ALC5 anyway?

jobob
09-20-2005, 04:48 AM
AIDS LifeCycle 5

http://www.aidslifecycle.org/

Trek420
09-20-2005, 04:55 AM
AIDS Lifecycle 5.

Shadon (and others) will ride from San Francisco to LA, it's 7 days, 585 miles, approx. 26,000 feet of climbing, last year there were 1600 riders, 500 crew, it's a fund rasier for San Francisco AIDS Foundation and LA Gay Lesbian Center, two major programs in AIDS prevention. The need is great today due to the current Federal Administration won't fund programs that veer from the policy of teachng abstinance only. Gosh that works so darn well with our kids. Sorry to veer OT anywho.....

I've crewed once, the crew is incredible the best support I've seen but it made me think "doing the ride has got to be easier" so I rode the last two times. I planned to skip this one but maybe ALC6.

and it's not real till you find that perfect little red dress. :p ;)

so I lost track there for a while, how many TE'ers do we have? gosh it's tempting.....but I think I need a break, I plan to be a TRL (training ride leader) stay tuned.

Gosh, you guys, I'm at work so I can't puddle up but I'm so excited for you and thank you for doing this, it's a great cause. Now, again posting the question what do you think of having a TE or Team Amici ALC team?

bikerz
09-20-2005, 06:51 AM
I don't have my number yet! :( We "Z"s always have to wait!

Trek, I think you oughtta saddle up and join us!

I think it's kind of strange that the first time I wear a dress in 20+ years, it's going to be on a bike!

SadieKate
09-20-2005, 07:27 AM
But somehow, I think I can do this!Somehow, I know you can do this!

Don't forget the shopping days:
1) clipless pedals
2) road bike
3) trainer
4) Spinervals

Spend the wet winter days with the Evil Coach Troy and you'll be ready to hit the long miles in spring.

shadon
09-20-2005, 07:36 AM
You-all are making me smile here! Yes..I've got my shopping list...but....
I haven't worn a dress in a million years...how 'bout I ride as a red gum drop...red shorts, red jersey and my red helmet that I've got in a box somewhere...oh...and I bet I can get red shoes and socks to...

whadya think???

First...I gotta get that bike...I'm still tired...

ACG
09-20-2005, 08:07 AM
I signed up, no number yet, I NEED my number. I've been seeking out clearance items and have decided my outfits each day will need to match/socks/tops/and other accessories. I'm REALLY excited. I have the route tacked up to the wall in my office.

bikerz
09-20-2005, 08:12 AM
Well, I whined too soon! Just checked email and got my number!

SadieKate - I ordered 4 Evil Coach Troy spinerval tapes last week :eek: - but I'm planing on riding outside unless it's really wet. Maybe I can ride up your way some more - my bum is still suffering from the "time in the saddle" experience - gotta toughen up on the flats!

Thanks in advance to all you TE cycling coaches - I know I'll be pestering the board with questions as the calendar moves inexorably closer to the big day!

Wow - time to get the fundraising engine revved up!

ACG
09-20-2005, 09:29 AM
:p I feel like a real participant now!

Trek420
09-20-2005, 11:34 AM
bikerz "I think it's kind of strange that the first time I wear a dress in 20+ years, it's going to be on a bike!"

doesn't have to be a dress, I found a lacey jacket number in a thrift store :D

shadon
09-21-2005, 08:51 AM
for Trek420's records :)

Hill Slug
09-21-2005, 12:21 PM
Got mine too......#1466......Will get to setting my stuff up in a week or so, got a bunch of other stuff happening right now. And still lookin for that red dress/knickers/tutu/whatever...... :)

Trek420
09-21-2005, 01:06 PM
got them all. congrats all and thanks for doing this, it's a great cause and you're in for the time of your life...especially if you have enough new bike shorts that fit.

bikerz
09-21-2005, 01:36 PM
Hi Hill Slug! We were saying on Sunday how sorry we were you couldn't be there for the Davis triple loop with SadieKate. I hope to see you on another TE ride soon (or some ALC training ride - they must be starting soon)
BZ

Trek420
09-21-2005, 05:53 PM
bikerz Hill Slug and all "I hope to see you on .....some ALC training ride - they must be starting soon)"

none so far, I keep checking for announcement of indoctrination uh orientation for traning ride leaders, but like your rider numbers it'll probably just appear. I refer riders in need of a group ride fix to lunachix progressive ride series or of course the velo girls, the accademy's good too. But they should start soon.

Southern CA has a schedule up.

I'll take Menace to the spa, uh LBS for a pre-BATO adjustment. Chris showed me a teeny tiny gear indicator gizmo thingy he can install on my cable, has a teeny-tiny gauge that tells what gear I'm in.

Beats gutting my 401K for Ergo Brain which isn't wireless. Getting tired of having to count to see if I have a low gear left.

Hill Slug
09-25-2005, 02:16 PM
It's REALLY real now....got my packet on Friday..... :eek:

SadieKate
09-25-2005, 06:00 PM
Looks like the Northern CA schedule has started

http://www.aidslifecycle.org/calendar/index.cfm?b=sf&type=training_ride

shadon
09-26-2005, 07:37 AM
I'm away from home that weekend! GRRRRR!!!

bikerz
09-26-2005, 07:56 AM
Bummer - Me too! Going to my cousin's wedding in NYC that weekend. But I'll be back a rarin' to go in November.

Had a nice 40 mile ride on Saturday - Orinda bart to Danville and back - still loving my wheels :) , but not so keen on the saddle any more :( .

I'm going to pirate Trek's old sig line - 260 days to find a saddle that won't kill me!

Trek420
09-26-2005, 11:03 AM
bikerz "260 days to find a saddle that won't kill me!"

bikerz, do you have the Sella Italia womens? Chris suggested it, I like it a lot. Worked well for ALC.

happy b'day Bike Goddess :D

bikerz
09-26-2005, 11:06 AM
No - I have the Selle San Marco Atola. I just ordered a Koobi Classic Gel - should be here this week, and I'll give it a try. I think the Atola is too narrow for me.

And yikes - it's only 251 days!

Trek420
09-26-2005, 11:57 AM
ah, Koobi, that's the Spazzdog favorite?

what this world needs is a lending library for saddles, like Netflix only better. :rolleyes: ;)

bikerz
09-26-2005, 12:24 PM
ah, Ko obi, that's the Spazzdog favorite? Yep - I searched through the old threads and saw her many recommendations, so I'll give it a try - and yes, I like the lending library idea - a good way to really find out if the saddle works.

ACG
10-05-2005, 11:30 AM
I just received my t-shirt, wrist band and packet. If you raise $1000 by
Nov. 15, you get a jacket. hmm. My 'group' is doing a lot of strategizing about raising $$$. I'm doing a lot of nail biting about doing the miles.

Trek420
10-05-2005, 02:28 PM
ACG "I'm doing a lot of nail biting about doing the miles."

ACG, you'll do fine and you've got your "virtual' training partners" here. TE gals helped me prepare for two AIDS rides. Last year and the year before by this time and through January I was concentrateing on base miles and pedaling drills for form.

But what are you doing now? How many miles? Any challenges finding the time? Do you have a club? Can you bike to work? Tell the nice gals at TE :)

ACG
10-06-2005, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the encouragement!

Monday is usually gym or rest day, weights mostly at the gym
Tues ride 20 miles w/hills
Wens ride 20 miles, flat
Thurs ride 20 miles, w/hills
Fri isually gym day, combo of weights and eliptical (sp?) machine
Saturdays is hill day, the grades range up to about 8%, mileage about 40

I ride with a group on Sundays, about 25 miles, to add mileage I ride to/from the meeting place, another 10, so my total is 35.

Some evenings my girls and I go for walk/runs at the local highschool.

Problem is that it is really dark at 5:00 a.m. and I've had some close calls. I have had to outfit myself as a "glow in the dark cyclist". I don't want to ride after work, because I loose my family time. I have used my trainer, boring.
Was thinking of adding some ride time by riding the trainer for an hour in the p.m., once the family settles down and we are all watching the same TV show.

So what are you doing?

Trek420
10-06-2005, 05:58 PM
ACG, you're doing great.

Way ahead of my training for the ride at his point and I've done ALC twice (three including crewing which I'm starting to just go ahead and count, crew is harder than ride I feel).

Both years my long ride was the Velo Girls Sunday club ride, about 30 miles and kinda hilly. It's hard to get away for longer rides due to my beloved dog, Mae. Lucky for me I don't mind the indoor trainer and can get to the gym at lunch.

You'll do fine. :)

Trek420
08-28-2006, 03:01 PM
OK, I've faxed off the form to get a team number for Team Amici Veloci. As soon as I get a number (and if anyone here has done this already that's cool, I don't care who's captain or anything just want to get a team number so we can tent nearby) we'll start a show of hands :D

roguedog
08-28-2006, 08:01 PM
what this world needs is a lending library for saddles, like Netflix only better. :rolleyes: ;)

Hey great minds think alike.. that's why I was asking and started this thread:

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=9531

BTw, I'd love to be able to do this one day... It's always sounded really cool to me.

Trek420
08-28-2006, 08:13 PM
roguedog "BTw, I'd love to be able to do this one day... It's always sounded really cool to me."

it is really cool :p

but you'll need a good saddle.

Maybe secret sister theme can be "send someone a saddle you bought but didn't like" and everyone rotates. :cool:

roguedog
08-28-2006, 08:27 PM
ya.. am starting to look into the saddle thing. that's why i was perusing all those brooks saddle pages and tryign to figure out the whole measurement thing..

hehe.. this is one sport it's good to start *** backwards, i guess!

sorry for temp thread drift...

ACG
08-29-2006, 03:35 PM
I am number 1132!!!

Trek420
08-29-2006, 03:54 PM
whoo hoo. ACG, when I get the Amici Veloci team number just let your rider rep know and s/he will put you in the team. OK?

We'd fund raise individualy but this will allow us to sleep together. No, wait a minute, that sounds all wrong :D I mean we can have our tents adjacent. There, now that's better. :D This is a family ride.

ACG
08-29-2006, 06:57 PM
Great, let me know. I'm not planning on riding with my group from last year as they don't really ride.......... and the company would be fantastico!!!

Duck on Wheels
09-01-2006, 03:54 AM
:D This is a family ride.

The Trek420/UK Elephant family is already planning on a cheer team road trip next summer. Maybe I'll even try riding a stretch, just to see if I can (/{*** theeeeenk ***}/) about trying to do this the next year. Any way I could arrange to test ride a Bike Friday around then?

Trek420
09-01-2006, 10:33 AM
check this site for Bike Friday dealers :D There was a guy on the ride last week who had one, he said it was not their "high end model" and he is very happy with it. He's ridden it around Europe and tours in the US, it fits in a bag/pack at the airport....

www.bikefriday.com/main.cfm?fuseaction=dealers.home

also here:

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=5996&highlight=bike+friday

sorry for the thread drift

Back to subject, the ride route will not be finalized sometimes till the day of the ride.

While last years route is posted on the website and it's usually pretty close to that.

The campsites will be established but not posted till maybe April for anyone planning on seeing us in camp.

For one thing that's because road conditions, permits can change up to the last minute. On ALC 3 I think it was there were fires and it was thought they'd have to bus us around 1/2 of the day 6 route. In the end that did not happen but we were close to the action.

This makes things difficult for anyone planning on seeing the riders.

That's the point, to purposefully keep traffic low, drivers away, no distraction. And if you happened to be riding that day, even the opposite direction if you crash or are otherwise in need of help that could be a drain on the crew.

Heck, the first year I rode they even helped a cow in distress delivering twin calves. (Mother did fine, calves unfortunately both stillborn. Vet said Mom would not have survived without our medical crew).

I've read a rule of thumb that if you can do back to back centuries or even back to back metric centuries, consider yourself ready.

I dunno, I've never done that myself but here i go again.