PDA

View Full Version : New Bike!

Pip
10-26-2010, 12:01 AM
I did something a little selfish last week and bought myself a new bike. My last bike was only two years old and perfectly reasonable (aluminum frame but carbon forks, seat post etc and Shimano 105 componentry). While in my LBS buying supplies I happened to ask how much I might be looking at for full carbon, minimum 105. Less than a week later I walked out with Racey Macey.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-nz/bikes/model/tcr.advanced.w/7800/45871/

Needless to say I didn't NEED a new bike, but I wanted her badly. The guys at the store know me well and managed to upsell me by around $1000 (NZD). Sigh. I ended up telling myself that it was worth it to get the best bike I possibly could because then I'd be less likely to want to upgrade in a couple of years.

I took her out with my riding group for the first time on Saturday and managed to take 3 minutes off my last time trial. That bike is AMAZING. I don't so much ride her as sit there while she takes over. I just point her in vaguely the right direction and pray.

Unfortunately I'm also on a bit of a steep learning curve. I took her out on Sunday and rode 10k before getting freaked out by some major winds. The 2kg I've lost in weight was really noticeable. I didn't really like the constant sense of feeling like I was about to die so I called my husband to come and get me. Unfortunately he didn't answer his phone and I had to slowly slug it home on my own.

I've got two big rides planned this weekend, a three hour ride with my pack on Saturday and a 115k race on Sunday. I'm hoping like anything the winds are kind to me!

Just wanted to share the gorgeousness!

crazycanuck
10-26-2010, 01:31 AM
Hey, nice bike! Hope the weather co-operates and the race goes well! What race by chance ye doing???

(Your tale sounds much like our house at the mo....Ian just picked up a v nice Ibis Mojo, a folding bike (whilst in Beijing) and I just converted my old mtn bike to a singlespeed. )

Bike Chick
10-26-2010, 02:19 AM
Very nice, PIP! There aren't any standards that dictate when you can buy a new bike and I think you definitely NEEDED this one.:D

See how fast and sleek she is? Definitely worth the investment. Enjoy.

redrhodie
10-26-2010, 06:47 AM
Oooh, very nice. I did the same thing, and bought a better bike at 2 years, even though my old bike was fine. Seriously, it was worth every penny. It brings me so much joy, and I ride it all the time. Life is too short not to have your dream bike.

Trek420
10-26-2010, 06:59 AM
There aren't any standards that dictate when you can buy a new bike and I think you definitely NEEDED this one.:D

Do it for the economy :D ;) Nice bike!

Jo-n-NY
10-26-2010, 07:12 AM
Me too, had a 2005 Dolce Comp which was my first road bike and truely enjoyed riding. In 2006 the brought out the Ruby and it was lust all over again. DH surprised me with the Ruby Pro 2007.

Unless necessary don't sell your older bike (just a suggestion). I had sold my Dolce and was very disappointed I did as it would have made a good rain and trainer bike. I felt bad putting my Ruby on the trainer all winter. As mentioned in another thread I won a Dolce and I am now so happy I have both bikes for different uses.

Enjoy your new ride...it sure is a beauty!!!

warneral
10-26-2010, 04:44 PM
SWEET! enjoy that wonderful new bike :)

Pip
10-26-2010, 11:57 PM
So I took her out this morning and rode around 45k before work. The sun was out and the harbour was flat. It was a beautiful ride! After work I flew back up the two big hills to home. This is definitely love.

Crazycanuck: I'm doing a 115k race in Martinborough, about an hour out of Wellington, but my 'A' race is the Lake Taupo Cycle Challenge in November.

Jo-n-NY: I was going to keep my other bike for that very purpose - wet weather and the wind trainer, but seeing as I spent quite a bit more than I'd planned, I just don't know. I'll put her up for sale on Trademe (the NZ version of Ebay) and see what happens. I may still end up buying a cheap commuter bike anyway. This bike is soooo sleek it sort of freaks me out to use her for my usual everyday riding!

The desk next to mine at work isn't being used at the moment so I kept the new bike next to me rather than put her in the cycle locker with all the other bikes. A guy from another team came over to talk to my manager but pretty much ended up drooling all over my bike instead. I just smiled! She sure is sexy.

Oh, and when another workmate walks into the office with a huge black eye and cut up face and proceeds to tell me about hitting something in the road and waking up with people over him calling an ambulance, I probably shouldn't pass that story on to my husband. He's threatening to never let me out on the road again!

colorisnt
10-27-2010, 04:49 AM
*is so jealous*

Beautiful bike.

Looks a lot like my Commuter, except he is gold and black. Giants are good bikes!

And sorry to hear about your coworker and hubby, Pip. This is why I don't tell my friends or parents about MOST of my escapades. I had to tell them about my last fall because it was all over facebook lol, but I scare them! They are always worried about cars and I say I worry more about idiotic people than stupid drivers!

Bike Writer
10-28-2010, 04:57 PM
Wow, she's a beauty. You must be thrilled! Happy riding.