PDA

View Full Version : PI Sugar Knicker ~vs~ Shebeest Pedal Pusher

doorah
09-19-2005, 09:28 AM
Hi everybody!

I'm a knicker gal as I'm not comfortable baring my legs just yet. I'm preparing to place my first TE order and I am hoping some of you have tried one or both of these knickers as there is a $30.00 price difference. I have never tried PI Sugar Shorts but have read good things about them on here. I also have no experience with Shebeest shorts but my only jersey is a sleeveless Shebeest and I couldn't be more pleased. Thanks in advance for any help you can share!

~doorah~

DeniseGoldberg
09-21-2005, 10:05 AM
Unfortunately I think that we're all different when it comes to fit and comfort in our cycling shorts. The only shorts I'm happy with are Pearl Izumi's - I tried on a pair of Shebeest shorts and couldn't stand the chamois. I know there are others out there with exactly the opposite experience.

Another possibility if you have shorts that you like is to add a pair of knee warmers. That will bring your shorts to knicker length, and you can peel the knee warmers off when you're ready. I use Pearl Izumi knee warmers - they are a heavier fabric than the shorts, which is great for me because I use them to protect my knees from cooler temps (below 60 degrees Fahrenheit is when I add this layer).

--- Denise

SadieKate
09-21-2005, 10:21 AM
I sense from a far that Denise and I have much the same taste in fit and function (red Sidis for one). Knee warmers are always a good option but sometimes I can't stand the extra elastic.

I have not tried the PI knickers for 2 reasons: not impressed with the SMT chamois they use in this knicker (though I am a BIG fan of the ultrasensor chamois) and because they use 6 panel construction.

Shebeest uses 8-panel construction which seems to stay in place better. It is traditional ergonomical short construction. The Shebeest chamois is fine for me for all road rides except centuries. It is my chamois of choice for mtbiking because it is thinner and more flexible than the PI ultrasensor chamois. I have both the Shebeest knicker and the comparable Terry knicker. The Shebeest is my preference.

doorah
09-21-2005, 03:04 PM
It must be the chamois that makes the $30.00 difference. I am not certain what is meant by 6 panel or 8 panel. I only have one pair of cycling bottoms which I won on ebay~Castelli Elena Knickers. Since I have nothing at all to compare them to I can only say that they make it possible for me to bike 24+ miles without too much shifting from discomfort.

Frankly I'm overwhelmed with the equipment/accessories that I want/need. I'm quite limited budget wise, however I know that riding my bike has already brought on a tremendous improvement in my overall outlook & sense of self esteem. I have been through a lot emotionally within the recent past & my family sees the difference and they are all very proud of me & full of encouragement. I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that I truly can't afford to purchase something that is uncomfortable or unwearable. My birthday is a little over a week away & my kids are willing to chip in on some knickers for me and I didn't want to ask them to spend the extra $30 if it isn't worth it~but my only jersey is a Shebeest and I am very pleased with it in every way. Fit, comfort, washability & function~ranks 5 stars from me! However it's sleeveless so I'm gonna be pretty cold soon!

My next dream item is shoes as the balls of my feet get hot & my toes go numb at about the 5 mile mark. I'm currently wearing Ryka running shoes :)

At any rate, thank you both for taking the time to share your experience & knowledge regarding these knickers~truly appreciated here.

~doorah~

SadieKate
09-21-2005, 03:28 PM
It must be the chamois that makes the $30.00 difference. I am not certain what is meant by 6 panel or 8 panel. 6 vs 8 panel construction - if you look at the Castelli's you will see multiple vertical seams going down the shorts. Each piece of fabric between these seams is a "panel." The more panels the more the short hugs your body without the fabric having to stretch. An 8-panel short hanging on a hanger will look like your pelvis and hips bent over from the waist. Fabric that has to stretch has a tendency to migrate to the path of least resistance (hence, elastic waistbands on jerseys ride up). Chamois is also part of the cost, but so is the construction and the fabric.

Having seen the 2 knickers, all three (construction, fabric and chamois) contribute to the $30 extra cost.

Dogmama
09-22-2005, 11:54 AM
I'm a PI fan, but I don't think the Sugar short is up to the usual PI quality. If you're looking for a knicker, I would definitely go with an 8 panel design.