PDA

View Full Version : Need chain help

CR400
09-18-2005, 10:49 AM
Hey, I was hoping one of you ladies can help me. I my chain has started to rust even in what seems like dry weather. I have had it start to rust twice but was able to get it off with a cleaner. This time it was barely damp came back a few days later and major rust on a few links. I'm going to try to clean it again today. Any ideas, besides buying a new chain? And at what point is it necessary to get another chain?

newfsmith
09-18-2005, 04:25 PM
If some of the degreaser is retained in the rollers of the chain it will degrease the new lube leaving the chain unlubricated. It is really important to rinse all of the degreaser off after you clean the chain, then get it dry as soon as possible. I use canned air sometimes if the basement is too humid. Some people go as far as actually baking the chain a while at low temp but that seems a little over the top to me. Once all the degreaser is off and the chain is dry, lube and let sit over night before wiping off the excess. Hope that helps.

I replace chains at 1000 miles, or if it is winter riding, 500 miles. Measuring 12 links of chain should be 12 inches, if it is 12.25 you are overdue for a change.