PDA

View Full Version : Amish "Ride To Eat" today.

Pax
09-17-2005, 04:13 PM
We did the short loop (20 miles - a long way for me) today at The Amish Ride. We had a great time rolling through the countryside on a day made to be on a bike...70 degrees and brilliant blue sky!!

All sorts of sights and since I was riding lead so I got to yell "car up" and then "kitty up" for an adorable little kitten that was hanging out watching the cows across the road. It was amazing the way all these Amish kids would come up to the fence and wave like crazy at us...I imagine helmeted/lycra clad grown-ups are not part of their daily experience.

Another interesting thing was no power lines anywhere, lots of fresh laundry hanging on the lines, the most beautifully groomed horses I've ever seen. We must've passed 100 horse and buggys...it was a regular buggy traffic jam outside the feedstore (which is next to, I kid you not, the used buggy dealer!). :D

Not much of an adventure but I had a ball anyway!

Trek420
09-17-2005, 04:17 PM
Is there an Avis Renta Buggy?

Pax
09-17-2005, 04:20 PM
Is there an Avis Renta Buggy?

:D Didn't see one.

My SO commented upon seeing the used buggy store "we need a new buggy so we can keep up with the Yoders" (common Amish name). I snorked my iced tea out my nose. :p

brok
09-17-2005, 04:27 PM
sounds like a nice ride - where was it??

Pax
09-17-2005, 04:31 PM
sounds like a nice ride - where was it??
Down in Arthur Illinois, about an hour and a half from where I live. It could have been another country from how different it felt.

Pax
09-17-2005, 05:42 PM
Oops, guess I shoulda clarified "Ride to Eat". They start you off with home baked goodies from the Amish ladies before the ride and finish the ride with a dinner of homemade chicken and noodles with fresh PIE for dessert put on by the Mennonite school. YUMMY!!!! :D

doctorfrau
09-17-2005, 06:15 PM
Wow, that sounds awesome!

I'm originally from PA, so Amish food is yummy to me!!

Trekhawk
09-17-2005, 06:28 PM
Not much of an adventure but I had a ball anyway!

Ooh Queen this sounds like an adventure to me. I would love to see all of that. Not too many Amish down under. Hope to get over that way and check it all out before we head home. Amish women make great Quilts would love to get one of those to take home but I might need to stop spending all my spare cash on cycling if that going to happen. :D

drplasma64
09-17-2005, 09:18 PM
Sounds like a great ride.

You're doing great! 20 miles at a time already!! Awesome!

newrider
09-18-2005, 03:04 PM
:D Didn't see one.

My SO commented upon seeing the used buggy store "we need a new buggy so we can keep up with the Yoders" (common Amish name). I snorked my iced tea out my nose. :p

:D lol I choked on my m&m reading that!! I live in Yoder country, too, in Indiana. That's a classic! Tell your SO Thanks for the laugh!

Pax
09-18-2005, 04:57 PM
:D lol I choked on my m&m reading that!! I live in Yoder country, too, in Indiana. That's a classic! Tell your SO Thanks for the laugh!
Will do! :D