PDA

View Full Version : Achilles Issues

finnboxer
10-05-2010, 01:31 PM
Hi

I was wondering if anyone has experience with Shockwave Therapy to treat Chronic Achilles Tendonitis

I would love to hear from anyone that has had this treatment as I am scheduled to have it later this month

Thanks
Adelle

Duck on Wheels
10-05-2010, 06:11 PM
Don't know about shock waves, no. When I had tendonitis in the achilles, my p.t. advised me to invest in a pair of very high heels (of all things). Teetered around on those for a couple of weeks while the achilles healed. Apparently the tiptoe position means you're keeping your achilles compressed and immobilized, which helps, just as long as you don't topple over and sprain your ankle. Anyhooooo ... good luck, get well quick, and let us know how the s.w.t. works.

KnottedYet
10-05-2010, 06:40 PM
I've not known anyone to have miraculous results from it.

More important seems to be figuring what is causing the tendon to have to work in a sub-optimal and irritating position in the first place (generally in women it's a pronated and internally rotated lower extremity) and correcting that first. Then carefully loading the tendon with repetitive exercise so that it suddenly "wakes up" and realizes it's supposed to heal itself.

Look up the "Alfredson Achilles Protocol." I've seen very good results from that.

jelee1311
10-05-2010, 09:12 PM
I did it and it didn't work for me, but then again nothing really worked. I was in a boot for almost 4 months so as a last ditch effort before sugery I had protien rich plasma injection done. Its been 6 weeks and I had an ultra sound done. It seems to be healing well. I'm doing PT,swimming and light riding and am having very little pain. I'm not a doctor so I don't know what your situation is but this worked for me. PRP for the achilllies tendon is still pretty new and exspensive but I was willing to try it and it has worked.