PDA

View Full Version : First race

MightyMitre
03-31-2003, 01:09 PM
On Saturday I did my first road race this season ( only my 2nd ever) which I've been buliding up to since January. It was a 10 mile time trial over quite a hilly course and I didn't come last! My time was 35 mins and 7 seconds which I was very pleased with. There were a few women behind me and even a few men!

Half way round I was really starting to struggle, especially after climbing a nasty little hill and my breathing was totally ragged. Then I remembered a thread posted by NW Meg and what she'd got taped to her bars.... Breathe and Belive .... so I did and it worked. I soon got my rhythm back and felt great.

Thanks NW Meg I'm have this mentally taped to my handle bars for now on.:D

goddess1222
03-31-2003, 04:41 PM
first race and ohhhhhhhh baby!!!!! sounds like you kicked some butt. way to go.

MightyMitre
04-01-2003, 06:13 AM
Thanks goddess1222 - I've never been so tired in my life.

In the last mile, 2 of my clubmates caught me up and gave me some shouts of encouragement which also helped. The was a small hill just before the finish line which, when I rode round in my warm up seems pretty flat but by the time I got there it was a MOUNTAIN.

Luckily the finish was straight after the top, followed by a nice gentle descent. I can't really remember much about the ride back to the HQ but it was excellent fun and my bofriend, who was also riding had to put up with my endorphin enduced wisecracks for the next two hours. :D It was hard but I really enjoyed it.

Time trials like this one make up a big part for the British cycling scene and as I'm still quite new to competing I like the fact it's just down to you and you haven't got to worry about letting your team mates down if you put in a bad performance.

I think my next one will be another Hilly 10 in a few weeks. Better get out there and practise my hill climbing.

Arrrggh - I can feel my thighs burning just at the thought of it ;)

NW_Meg
04-05-2003, 04:08 PM
I am so excited for you I am giddy and grinning ear to ear! Wow! I'm totally inspired.

Congratulations on your race, and for remembering to breathe and believe -- amazing that such simple ideas can make such a difference, eh?

Ok, so I really want to race, but am not ready yet. I'm watching some of the crits this year, and am taking a track class in a few weeks... but I won't be race worthy until next year at the earliest. Please keep me posted on your races this year!

goddess1222
04-05-2003, 06:04 PM
hey Meg, are you talkin' track as in Velodrome? that is cool that you are taking an actual class. i love to watch the racing, it is quite exciting.

you have come this far, i think you are ready for anything!!!!

NW_Meg
04-05-2003, 07:01 PM
Yes, Goddess,
I'm taking a beginning women's class at the Marymoore velodrome in Redmond (across the lake from Seattle). A couple of teenaged girls at Bike Expo talked me into joining them for the Wednesday night women's races -- and the class is mandatory to race. I'm riding pretty consistently in the 13-15 mph range, which is not really race ready. I want to be able to clip along 18-20 sustained b/f I join any road race. I have NO idea what to expect on the track, but I'll give you a full report in a few weeks!
Alpenrose is your 'drome, right? Cute biker boys, exhilerating racing...
Monday I'm going to start a 1xweekly hill intervals training, a la MM_QFC and her general. If I don't die of a heart attack, I think I'll end up a stronger rider.

Did you ride today? Windy here, but beautiful no less...

goddess1222
04-06-2003, 11:26 AM
yes, alpenrose is the place. and you are right about the cute boys. i used to date one of them. YUM. i discovered the fun of track racing last year. still a spectator, but someday i would love to try it.

no riding today. i am on vacation for 10 days and was pretty exhausted yesterday and today. gonna see what this afternoon brings. now that the time change is here, i have more daylight.

windy and cool here today. perfect conditions.

NW_Meg
04-06-2003, 04:06 PM
Ok, the track class is only $10 for women. I signed up for the Saturday, April 26 class at Marymoore from 10-3. It's just about 3 hours from Portland by car -- or you can take your bike on the train.

You only need helmet, food & water, and shoes/pedal system if you have your own that you prefer. Come on up! It will be a hoot! We'll learn bike handling skills, meet other cool women, and just plain have fun!

Chew on it for a few days and let me know....