PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Cycling Goals

Catrin
10-02-2010, 03:54 AM
This might be a little early, but am thinking about my cycling goals for next year and it would be interesting to see what others might be considering. Here are my initial thoughts for next season.

For the winter I hope to be able to do at least some cold-weather riding, and supplement that with 3 spinning classes a week plus indoor trainer work (once I purchase one).

Continue working on hills and speed
Continue strength training
Tour de Cure, Indianapolis
B&O Tour
Horsey Hundred
Southern Tour
RAGBRAI?
At least a couple of brevets/permenants
Hope Ride
Brown County Hills Challenge

Crankin
10-02-2010, 03:57 AM
Yes, it's too early to think about this. I am still working on 2010.

Catrin
10-02-2010, 04:01 AM
Yes, it's too early to think about this. I am still working on 2010.

I wondered if it might be :) I have no events left this year unless I were to travel, and the hamstring is holding me back right now anyway. Sigh...so it helps to think about next year. Even the club rides are over now outside of the Saturday morning regular rides that I don't attend anyway.

I want to ride today, but temps are in the low 50's and rain with high winds is on the way. Am trying to be philosophical over the leg, but it is frustrating to want to go for a nice long ride and find the leg starts complaining at 25 miles...

Chile Pepper
10-02-2010, 06:18 AM
I agree with Crankin! Just looking at your list makes me feel like a slug. Although in all fairness, I would do more organized rides if there were any organized rides to do. That's one of the downsides of living in a small town in Chile.

I set some mileage goals for 2010 and then fractured my shoulder in a fall in April. My 2009 goals were thwarted by foot problems mid-year and a bad back late in the season. So I guess my main goal for next year is to try to stay healthy enough to ride.

hebe
10-02-2010, 09:12 AM
I'd like to ride three or four times a week from next Easter, when my daughter will start doing longer hours in nursery. Other than that I'm still working on basic skills without quantifying things too much.

malkin
10-02-2010, 09:18 AM
Catrin--we already knew you were an overachiever; humoring you is the least we can do! ;)

For 2011, I'll probably patch a few tubes at least and ride some, and we've got a Germany trip planned for spring. Really, I'm still hoping for 2010 to redeem itself here at the end.

Veronica
10-02-2010, 09:27 AM
I'm thinking about Devil Mountain Double and the Vineman Ironman.

Veronica

Catrin
10-02-2010, 09:31 AM
Catrin--we already knew you were an overachiever; humoring you is the least we can do! ;)

For 2011, I'll probably patch a few tubes at least and ride some, and we've got a Germany trip planned for spring. Really, I'm still hoping for 2010 to redeem itself here at the end.

LOL, yep, I do tend to do that. You DID note that there is a ? after RAGBRAI? Also all but two of those rides are local... Thinking about what I would like to do next year is a way of taking my attention off of the rain outside and the pis*ed off hamstring :o

DarcyInOregon
10-02-2010, 11:12 AM
I am thinking about next year's goals also, because I've already completed my cycling fitness goals for this year, and by the end of the year I will be over 6,000 miles, which is more than enough miles for me.

I did make some winter cycling goals for November through March which are pretty basic: 1)cycle at least 300 miles month outside, mostly short intense rides of maybe 25-30 miles, 2)increase weight/core training times per week and duration, 3)diversify cardio to include more running on the real windy days, and use gym cardio, walking and hiking for the rest days. I can no longer get my heart rate sustained into my cardio zones with walking or hiking; with walking my average heart rate is in the 80s, and hiking up and down mountains my average heart rate is only in the 90s, so if a typical cardio activity no longer gives me cardio results, I move the activity to a recreational activity for rest days.

My goals for 2011 are 1)distance of at least 5,000 miles, 2)some specific charity rides, 3)increase the number of category climbs I do each month, specifically more Category 4 and 3 climbs, and 4)spend 7-10 days at Ketchum, Idaho, cycling the trails and climbing the Galena Summit, which has a 5-mile Category 2 climb in the uphill portion of the route, and maybe doing some mountain biking and hiking while there. My focus for 2011 won't be the distance of the specific rides, but the difficulty of the climbs.

Crankin
10-02-2010, 12:01 PM
I have done much better with cycling since I started setting "loose" goals, anyway. When I said I'm still working on 2010, it's just mileage. I don't do many (or any) events. I've passed my "least acceptable" goal for this year already and I suspect I will hit the mileage goal I really want for the first time since 2006. That year, I didn't get to where I am now until 10-15 or so.
I *will* do a century next year, but probably one that requires as little training as possible, like I did before.
We are going to do a cycling trip a year, but not sure what's on for 2011, yet. Plus, DS #2 wants us to go on a vacation with him and DIL when he gets back from deployment, right around the time I graduate. I also have to get that little thing called a job when I graduate in May and that is going to put a crimp in my riding. Since I have to work full time for 2 years to get hours for my license, I am trying to keep positive about it.
Right now I am looking forward to x country skiing. I got new skis at the end of last season and wasn't too happy with them. I chalked it up to the warm temperatures and sticky snow, so that is my next goal.

maillotpois
10-02-2010, 12:06 PM
I'm thinking about Devil Mountain Double

Veronica

Me too.

My current riding partner is not going to be stationed in Germany next year as originally planned, so this is back on the table. I had such fun at the Tam double with her that I decided DMD would be a lot better with company. And Mike would be happier as well knowing I am not alone at 2 am. :rolleyes:

Possibly the fleche as well as prep. The prep I (you and I :cool:) did of that 400k before DMD was fantastic. I can't rave enough about that as prep for DMD. The fleche is 380 or something - close enough. ETA - crabs, the fleche looks like it is going to be the same weekend. Oh well. Back to a 400k as prep.

My riding time is my own next year so I think maybe it's time to stage a comeback. :)

ETA: And that was officially my 5000th post. :p

Catrin
10-02-2010, 12:20 PM
I have found that I do better with specific goals, but I've no problem changing them if I need to do so. Many of the events I listed for next year I did this year and had great fun doing them :) I AM going to do RAGBRAI, just don't know if it will be 2011 or 2012.

Having to pull back on my riding right now is frustrating, I want to be on my bike! Hopefully taking this weekend off will help, and I can start getting back to normal. Of course it is also time to start ramping up for my move in 4 weeks so that will also interfere with riding time...but then I will be living somewhere much better for riding :D

Veronica
10-02-2010, 12:36 PM
The prep I (you and I :cool:) did of that 400k before DMD was fantastic. I can't rave enough about that as prep for DMD.

I'd forgotten about the 400K. Maybe 'cause I only did 200 of it. :D That was fun and the timing is right for a pre DMD test ride. If I do DMD it will probably be the staff ride. Scott keeps on encouraging me to do it again since I keep him company after dark!

Veronica

crazycanuck
10-02-2010, 01:42 PM
Basically all I want to do is improve my dirt skills so....

All the Club XC races
4hr/6hr/12hr
Dwelli 100-in 7 1/2hrs...
Another 100k enduro depending on uni semester/work

My lovely red bike is soooooo much fun to ride & has given me the confidence I need. My poor road bike needs more attention but when one can go n do dirt more often why play on the road ;)

There are some road events i'm thinking of but not at the mo..

azfiddle
10-02-2010, 01:58 PM
I'm not ready to think about 2011 yet because there is so much of 2010 left to ride, now that it's cooling off here in the desert. Our season is year round, but should be a little more enjoyable riding weather by the end of the week. It was still close to 100 today!

For 2010- I'd like to reach 4000 miles (I should be at 2900 by tomorrow), to follow the training program (intervals and miles) and to complete the full 109 distance for El Tour.

I would also like to keep my commitment to commute on Fridays, when I only need to get spruced up for the school t-shirt and jeans.

redrhodie
10-02-2010, 02:55 PM
I'm staying with "100 miles per week" because it works well for me.

Catrin
10-02-2010, 03:05 PM
I'm staying with "100 miles per week" because it works well for me.

Red, are you able to stick with this in the winter as well? I've been doing this since June at least until the hamstring started acting up almost two weeks ago.

redrhodie
10-02-2010, 03:39 PM
There's about 6 weeks where I don't come close to making my goal, like one January when we had ice for the entire month, and I only got outside two or three times (I rode my trainer a lot, but I don't count those "miles" towards my goal). I also tend to not make my number for a couple of weeks in July, when I can't blame the weather. I get so hooked on watching the tour, that I miss many miles. :o

It's a game. I'm constantly working on the next 100 miles. Since it's pretty important for me to exercise 5 days per week, this keeps me doing it. I have a family history of morbid obesity, and I think this amount of exercise is why I'm thin, when genetics say I should not be. I don't beat myself up if I can't make the 100, but I really try to every week. At this time of the year, I'm usually over.

ETA, Newport winters--we don't get feet of snow that lasts and lasts, and I love riding in the cold. That helps.

buffybike
10-02-2010, 03:55 PM
I'd love to do Ragbrai 2011, but with 2 kids, it'd be hard. Maybe I can talk some people from my local club into doing it and taking turns driving SAG. My ultimate goal for 2011 would be the Six Gap Century in Dahlonega, GA.

This winter, I want to maintain my fitness by riding at least 3x a week. Our winters are fairly mild here--with the right clothing, I'd be comfortable enough. It would be great to start the "cycling season" in top shape! A mileage goal of 6,000 for 2011 wouldn't be unreasonable (barring any injuries or accidents).

nscrbug
10-02-2010, 04:06 PM
I can't think about 2011, until my 2010 riding season is over...which will likely be around the first week of December (based on last year's season). My goal for this year was to better my total mileage from last year, which was 5,400 miles (starting from the first week of March). I think I am on target to beat that by almost 1,000 miles, so we shall see how it goes for the next few weeks.

Catrin
10-02-2010, 04:36 PM
It's a game. I'm constantly working on the next 100 miles. Since it's pretty important for me to exercise 5 days per week, this keeps me doing it. I have a family history of morbid obesity, and I think this amount of exercise is why I'm thin, when genetics say I should not be. I don't beat myself up if I can't make the 100, but I really try to every week. At this time of the year, I'm usually over.

ETA, Newport winters--we don't get feet of snow that lasts and lasts, and I love riding in the cold. That helps.

This sounds like a good plan - and is part of the reason I got interested in long-distance riding. I've been obese in the past and have no desire to return to those years. I've been trying not to beat myself up for not making my goal the last two weekends, but it is hard not to do so. I couldn't tell much of an impact on my weight loss until I started getting about 100 miles a week - that was when I could start to tell a difference. Not so much in actual pounds lost but in composition.

As accustomed as I got to the heat, I can tell that it is going to be quite an adjustment to the cooler temps. If I could adjust the heat, then I can adjust to the cold :)

WindingRoad
10-02-2010, 05:58 PM
I don't think it's too early. I've been pondering on my goals lately. Since my life has taken on a totally different spin, my new goals are going to have to be condensed training due to VERY little free time. I hope to ride to campus as many days as possible and really work on my running. I would like to make my running a 3-4x per week thing once it gets cold. I actually LIKE running in the cold. Cycling I can do but it's not nearly as fun. LOVE running in the snow! I would also like to do more weight lifting starting NOW. I love riding distance for 4,6,8,10 hours but that is NOT gonna be possible for 4 more years so... I'll do what I can. :)

Catrin - So glad you are loving the cycling! I'm surprised you aren't doing the Hilly Hundred next weekend down in Elletsville though? Is your hamstring pretty bad?

Catrin
10-02-2010, 06:38 PM
Catrin - So glad you are loving the cycling! I'm surprised you aren't doing the Hilly Hundred next weekend down in Elletsville though? Is your hamstring pretty bad?

My hamstring does hurt in the hills, but that isn't the main reason why I am not doing the Hilly Hundred this year. I am still quite slow in the hills and I do not think that my legs are ready for the Hilly just yet. Next year I will consider it - I won't say it wasn't tempting, but not my first year. I am also very curious about the Brown County Hill Challenge, which is going on this weekend...

I am looking forward to some more hill training once my leg heals :) There is something about climbing hills that I enjoy - as hard as it can be. I don't know if it is the challenge itself, the fun of going downhill, or both.

Aggie_Ama
10-02-2010, 07:15 PM
I mainly want to ride and be happy, some days I still struggle with being frustrated which is a natural way for me. So I am trying to relax and not let my head dictate, listen to my mom that can't never could.

Most of my goals are with mountain biking, I have "lost that loving feeling" for the road. For now my days of centuries and more than the occasional organized ride are past. With mountain biking I want to continue to improve my skills, do some more races. I hope that if I can try more races by the end of 2011 I will have moved up a category. But if that doesn't happen I know I will be riding some obstacle I can't today. Right now I am thinking of several sections of my local trail I am still not riding.

jessmarimba
10-02-2010, 07:26 PM
I'd like to do my first mountain bike race. That was the goal for this year but it got a little delayed! :)

ivorygorgon
10-03-2010, 05:50 PM
I am going to increase my average speed, on flats and hills;
I am going to get a professional fitting and increase my comfort on the bike;
I am going to ride the Adventure Corps and do the Laguna Challenge, but do two laps instead of 1;
I am going to ride at least 50 miles a week.
DH and I will be in good enough shape to just do a century without feeling like we want to train for it. (almost there already)
I will get down to my goal weight.

MomOnBike
10-04-2010, 07:35 AM
My goals are pretty simple, really.

1) Work up base miles/fitness to -

2) Start my tour. Hopefully, my vacation time/fitness will get me at least halfway up the Mississippi.

3) Take DH's vintage bike down to the basement this winter and give it some concentrated TLC. I did this last winter to my old bike and loved it. OK, this isn't riding, but it is bike related, so it counts.

inkspot
10-04-2010, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the motivation to set my goals early! My goals for 2011 are few (so far):

1) Commute every weekday from thaw to next freeze (April-November) rain, snow, wind or shine.

2) Ride a minimum of 75 miles (in addition to my commute) each week.

3) Do the STP (I did my first group ride this past weekend, and I'm hooked :D).

Roadtrip
10-04-2010, 08:55 AM
Loose weight and continue working on bike skills and building mileage milestones. Right now longest ride has been 6miles. Not BAD all considering, but I too want to set goals, so 70 pounds and doing a metric century in 2011 might be good "goal" for me.

For some silly reason I want to ride the Tour de Doughnut next September, but that's the only real organized ride that I've got my eye on at the moment. Just need to work on increasing the mileage and get myself into some group rides when I feel comfortable.

Shannon

kjay
10-04-2010, 09:04 AM
Thanks for this thread, which if nothing else has made me aware of the need to start setting goals. My 50th high-school reunion is slated for next year in the Midwest, and I've toyed with riding RAGBRAI but my first goal is to get back on my bike. ;-) Thanks for getting me started.

hid558
10-04-2010, 09:53 AM
Want to loose weight. Keep improving my riding skills and maybe try to do a century at least on my own.

denda
10-04-2010, 10:09 AM
Do the Hotter N Hell 100 and the Enchanted Circle Century again. Those are the only 2 things I plan for.

nikkoblu2
10-04-2010, 10:11 AM
Loose weight and continue working on bike skills and building mileage milestones. Right now longest ride has been 6miles. Not BAD all considering, but I too want to set goals, so 70 pounds and doing a metric century in 2011 might be good "goal" for me.

For some silly reason I want to ride the Tour de Doughnut next September, but that's the only real organized ride that I've got my eye on at the moment. Just need to work on increasing the mileage and get myself into some group rides when I feel comfortable.

Shannon

Time credits for donut consumption! If I show this to DH he'll be on a plane to Texas. What a sweet deal!

Roadtrip
10-04-2010, 10:42 AM
Time credits for donut consumption! If I show this to DH he'll be on a plane to Texas. What a sweet deal!

There are events like these all over the US. The one I am thinking of is in Arcanum, Ohio. route is slightly more then 31 miles and it's about an hour and a half from where I live.

http://www.tourdedonutohio.com

Looking at the race results page, if you can eat a dozen doughnuts and STILL bike thirty miles, you deserve to win. LOL. One rider managed to eat 16!! GEEZ.

Miranda
10-04-2010, 11:03 AM
I just want to be able to ride at all. This year that didn't happen due to my crash injuries still bothering me. I've just said it must have been meant for me to get some "forced rest".

moonfroggy
10-04-2010, 11:22 AM
my goals are dependent on if/when i get pregnant

once i get pregnant (assuming i will) my goal is to ride as much as i am comfortable riding for as long as i am comfortable riding, and if i am comfortable i will work on technique and speed and things like that as well.

until i get pregnant my goals are working on being faster and going longer.
also i want to learn more about bicycle mechanics
and not for next year but this December i am planning to attend a bamboo bike building workshop so that is a goal as well. but if i get pregnant my husband will attend in my place probably since not sure i would want to be around some of the stuff used to build the bike also the workshop is really long and not sure i would have energy depending on what trimester and things.

my other goal is not for bicycling and is starting now
to do the couch to 5k running thing. started that yesterday and would like to keep up with running next year

seasons are mild here and i like to ride solo so i don't do competition or group rides so my goals are not really affected much by years or seasons.

sarahspins
10-04-2010, 12:27 PM
My goal for 2011: CRASH LESS!!!

As I sit here battered and bruised, just over a week past my Honoluly Century crash... still unable to ride.. I have plenty of time to ponder these things.... *sigh*

Owlie
10-04-2010, 06:51 PM
I feel like a bum now.

A lot of this depends on where I end up going to grad school, but:

-put 100 miles on my bike in a week.
-get better at hills
-get more comfortable with riding on roads.
-metric century?
-an organized ride, depending on where I end up. A friend's already asked me to join him on one leg of RAGBRAI. If I end up in Tuscon, DBF's planning on dragging me to Tour de Tuscon...but that might wind up being in 2012 depending on his school plans.