PDA

View Full Version : Spinervals recommendations?

zoom-zoom
09-29-2010, 07:30 AM
I have a couple of Spinvervals discs that we've ended up with for free, but they are 2-3 hour endurance workouts. I'm thinking it might be good to have something closer to 45-60 minutes...perhaps more of a spin class format, higher intensity, intervals. Something to do 1-2x/week, as a contrast to 1-2 longer, slower workouts while watching TV or a movie.

Any recommendations? I'm kind of eyeballing either 3.0 Enter the Red Zone or 4.0 Lean and Mean (http://www.spinervals.com/products/department5.cfm).

Selkie
09-29-2010, 08:04 AM
Red Zone and Lean&Mean are "Fitness" level (i.e, they aren't as challenging...ahem...as the Competition spinervals).

I have almost all of the Spinerval releases. My favorites are Hillacious (just over an hour)---it's difficult but fun; Uphill Grind (42 minutes or so of climbing, all female cast); Suffer O Rama (an oldie but goodie, under an hour); Zoot Challenge (41 minutes--tough, good combo of high cadence work with a few higher gear sets); Time Trial Special (about an hour, I think this might have some one leg drills); and the three new releases from this past spring (one of them is called The Pain Cave, one is technique focused, and the third is Super High Intensity or something like that---all are less than an hour long and are more 'classics' in terms of sets), etc.

I really like the strength-focused releases, too. Bending Crank Arms (it's just over an hour); Big Gear Strength (about 55 minutes), and Ultra Leg Strength (an hour or so). All three have some off-the-bike work (squats, lunges, etc), which mix it up.

Bad weather and Spinervals definitely give me a greater appreciation for riding on pavement!!

zoom-zoom
09-29-2010, 08:06 AM
I wondered if the Fitness ones would be potentially too easy. They give them difficulty levels ~8-9, but I wasn't sure if that was comparable to the 8-9 difficulty ratings of the Competition series discs.

ny biker
09-29-2010, 08:28 AM
I have several spinervals tapes but the only one I use is Team Clydesdale, which is considered easy but is plenty hard enough for me. You can always use harder gears than suggested if you want to make it more difficult.

ridebikeme
09-29-2010, 09:09 AM
I own all of the Spinervals DVD's as well. We have held classes in the shop now for over ten years, so we definitely have used them with great success. What I tend to do is start with a few of fitness DVD's at the beginning of our sessions, that way if people have been off their bikes it's gives them time to get back into the swing of things.

As for favorites, I would second the opinion of Uphill Challenge, Mental Toughness, Suffer-o-Rama, Have Mercy. Although in my opinion, I don't think that you can wrong with any of them.:rolleyes:

ny biker
09-29-2010, 09:20 AM
I own all of the Spinervals DVD's as well. We have held classes in the shop now for over ten years, so we definitely have used them with great success. What I tend to do is start with a few of fitness DVD's at the beginning of our sessions, that way if people have been off their bikes it's gives them time to get back into the swing of things.

As for favorites, I would second the opinion of Uphill Challenge, Mental Toughness, Suffer-o-Rama, Have Mercy. Although in my opinion, I don't think that you can wrong with any of them.:rolleyes:

How do you like the ones where he rides outside? I was thinking of getting the one where he rides in Maryland, just for a change of pace.

Thanks

ridebikeme
09-29-2010, 09:27 AM
Although I like the DVD'S that are shown outside, I have to admit that I like the others better. I do like the Maryland one better than some of the others, but I think for future I'll concentrate on some of the competition/fitness DVD's.

There are a couple of new fitness ones coming out that are concentrating on women if any of you are interested. :p

zoom-zoom
09-29-2010, 09:40 AM
There are a couple of new fitness ones coming out that are concentrating on women if any of you are interested. :p

Ahhh...how long before those might be available? I have a feeling that my rides will be mostly indoors within a month or so.

Becky
09-29-2010, 10:16 AM
I like Time Saver I when I can't bring myself to spend an hour or more on the trainer. With warm up/cool down, each of the 3 workouts is about 45 minutes.

ridebikeme
09-29-2010, 02:42 PM
Kirsten...AKA Zoom-Zoom:p

From what I've been told, the new DVD's will be available in a couple of weeks.

Becky... it is indeed hard to be on a trainer for any length of time. Here are some of the things that I do for myself and the class in order to keep things a bit more fun. First of all, having another person riding at the same time makes things much more interesting... is that something that would work for you? If you are riding solo, write down what your average heart rate was, miles rode, comfort level, food you ate that day, sleep pattern etc... sometimes simply writing info down will be more motivating for you next time. It also gives you a base so that you can keep track of progress.

I also have a conceit wall... trophies, plaques all hanging on the walls of my trainer room... makes me feel guilty if I decide to blow off a session. Hopefully some of that will help! After riding the trainer for 25+ years, you definitely have to find a way to keep things fun.:p

zoom-zoom
09-29-2010, 03:01 PM
For rides of an hour or more I have found that suspenseful TV shows (Law & Order, CSI) are good for distraction. If I want to go even longer there is nothing like a zombie movie to keep me going...when the zombies are chasing the protagonists I pedal harder. This is fun when DH is pedaling his "nowhere bike" with me. :)

Blueberry
09-29-2010, 03:53 PM
I have several spinervals tapes but the only one I use is Team Clydesdale, which is considered easy but is plenty hard enough for me. You can always use harder gears than suggested if you want to make it more difficult.

How timely! I just finished this one. It's a solid aerobic set for me. If you want anaerobic, then go for the comp series. Uphill Grind is another favorite of mine. I detest Hillacious (but DH loves it).

roadie gal
10-02-2010, 08:58 AM
Lean and Mean, although it's a "fitness" DVD is plenty difficult.

2+ on the Uphill Grind and Hillacious. The time trial ones are all very difficult.

As far as the virtual reality ones go, the Maryland one is very good. The Lake Placid one is just plain boring IMHO. The Wisconsin one is hysterical as they get lost in the first 1/2 hour and have to backtrack. Otherwise that one is mostly easy spinning.

zoom-zoom
11-03-2010, 08:45 AM
I just ordered this new one, #37.0 (http://www.spinervals.com/products/item162.cfm) "Suffering on the Chesapeake." It's geared towards triathletes and road riders...seemed ideal, since I want to get faster on the road and am hoping to do at least 3 duathlons next year.

Bring on the pain!!! :p