PDA

View Full Version : Spinning pays off!

Irulan
03-31-2003, 07:11 AM
yee-haw.... Four rides in the last week. Aside from a little saddle sore, all I can say is I feel so ON!!

Went for a 12 mile loop ( single track) yesterday. Thank goodness the river hasn't come up enough to put the shore line portion of the trail underwater.

We've got a fun little (har, har) hill on this loop called half-mile hill. typically it's the real indicator of how far out of shape you are in the spring. My pal and I just blew up it... just a nice steady pace with no choking at the top. There are some other technical short climbs ( over rocks) that you do need to have good strength and balance to clean. And I clean it, first time ever... yeah.

It was a very good day.

Irulan

RoxGirl77
07-04-2003, 08:58 PM
Big ups to you!!!

I know you must feel great about your accomplishments!

I'm in a 24 hour race in 2 weeks, so I'm trying to get as much bike training in right now! I'll let you know if I feel as good as you do once it's all said and done. Now, you must wish me luck! ;o)

Trek420
07-13-2003, 09:07 PM
Hey, this spinning stuff works! Haven't been riding as much as I like but have been doing a spin class once or twice a week at lunch (yes, I know, could lunch time ride, it's a long story, just can't right now).

We did La Canada Rd, about 18 miles, and I felt real good.

Both flightdeck and HRM on the fritz so I did the low tech indicator of fitness which is.....
I could keep up with:
* 2 women-who-look-fitter-than-I-am and-have better-bikes
And I Passed
* 2 men with better bikes than mine though not fitter than I am, though one of them made a huge production of passing me again ;-)

DR

RoxGirl77
07-31-2003, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Trek420
Hey, this spinning stuff works! Haven't been riding as much as I like but have been doing a spin class once or twice a week at lunch (yes, I know, could lunch time ride, it's a long story, just can't right now).

We did La Canada Rd, about 18 miles, and I felt real good.

Both flightdeck and HRM on the fritz so I did the low tech indicator of fitness which is.....
I could keep up with:
* 2 women-who-look-fitter-than-I-am and-have better-bikes
And I Passed
* 2 men with better bikes than mine though not fitter than I am, though one of them made a huge production of passing me again ;-)

DR

feels so good to rule the road/trail, doesn't it!?? :D

Trek420
08-05-2003, 09:15 AM
yep, it's great. At one point I looked at the HRM and I did not know my heart could go that fast, hadn't been at that level even in a hard class but I was at that level for miles and felt fine, could even hold a conversation.

Hey, this training stuff works ;-)

Terry
08-06-2003, 07:27 AM
Glad you girls are having sucessful rides...I know many of you did spin classes this winter and are now reaping the benefits in spades. Yep, I think spinning is the best kept "secret" to sucessful cardio-vascular training, perfecting form, and all around cycling performance. Congrats, ladies...Woo-Whoo!

I'm hoping for the same results this fall as you all are seeing now.
I'm at the opposite end of the riding season from most of you and I'm inside all the time. I spin 3, sometimes 4 times a week. I work on pedal stroke, cadence, my heart zone, posture, ect. and I know it will all pay-off once I/we can get back to riding ourdoors.

My riding buddies and I take class together; we all sit up front! We ride in a row facing the mirrors and try to keep pace/ cadence with one another. There are classes where other road cyclist come and sit with us; a couple of them are very strong and pace us, so I learn from them...it's really amazing. It takes focus on what I'm doing as well as the "team" effort. (In mountain biking, you really don't ride "together" in a line/peleton formation) For sure, we are all doing our own "ride" but spinning provides comradere, someone who will ask, "how are you doing/feeling/watch your left foot"...ect without it interfering with the ride. This must sound awfully serious or intense to some of you, but, we really have a lot of fun.

I wonder if teams use some sort of a similar technique? I wonder if they use mirrors to ride in cadence, or see how they perform together/not together? I'm not a roadie, but, from what I'm discovering, I'm beginning to think that if you spin together with mirrors, there are more benefit to the actual ride outdoors than anticipated.
Well, I guess we'll find once were back on the trails...
Terry

Oh yeah, Trek420, the heart moniter thing has become and opposite for me...I'm doing phenomenal things in class that I hadn't done outdoors as far as heart rate goes...good times, good times. Either way, training works!