PDA

View Full Version : Thermal shoe covers/Winter gear

Catrin
09-27-2010, 02:24 AM
Still working out my colder weather gear :) Though the temps were only in the 60's this weekend, I learned fast that my body is still accustomed to hot temps and the seasonal transition is going to be interesting.

Until I learn if I really do like winter cycling, am trying to avoid dropping lots of $$ on winter gear. My leg warmers fit much better than last year now that my thighs are larger and they stay up without a problem. I do not think I need a separate set of knee warmers, as short as I am I suspect they wouldn't be much shorter anyway.

A set of arm warmers will stand in the place of buying more long sleeve jerseys than the two I have (thanks to TE members). Will get some thinner gloves to go beneath my current summer gloves for now - my Shebeest full gloves from last winter are still fine - but I remember them being hard to shift with...so will put off using those as long as I can. Of course, I was still learning HOW to shift last winter so that may have been part of it.

That leaves my feet and head. Yesterday, in low 60's temps, my toes got a little chilly. How well do thermal shoe covers work? Are they warm enough for sub-freezing temps? I suspect that I probably wouldn't cycle in temps <25, but time will tell.

Not worried about my head. I already have ear warmers and will pick up a Smartwool baklava.

Am I forgetting anything?

OakLeaf
09-27-2010, 04:02 AM
As with anything, there are lots of options. Some shoe covers are just wind blockers, others have waterproofing and insulation.

One thing I will say - especially with you being diabetic - is to make sure that your toes aren't constricted. My feet actually stay warmer with less on them, than they do with a lot of insulation that takes up room where my feet are supposed to be. Toe covers are right out - on me, they completely cut off the circulation to my toes.

I have a pair of the Voler shoe covers (light wind blockers), and I like the fabric, but the zippers broke within a year. :mad: Combined with wool socks and fastening my shoes loosely, they will get me down to *start* temperatures below freezing, provided that it warms up as the day goes on.

You'll want a wind-blocking layer on top, as well, but for those temps, this can be a light wind-blocking jacket with room underneath it for a layer or two of wool (or whatever keeps you warm). When you find a base layer that you really like, you may find yourself wearing it under everything, so the expense is a little easier to justify. :D

Basically, try it! I think you'll find that the gear you need for sustained sub-freezing riding is largely different from what you'll need to ride in cooler temperatures (also be very very careful of black ice) - so if you ride through December and want to keep going as the real cold weather sets in, well, maybe someone will give you hard-core cold-weather gear for the holidays. :cool:

Melalvai
09-27-2010, 05:18 AM
Goggles, I found a pair at westlake for $2 which have served me well. They prevent that nasty "my eyeballs are freezing" sensation, when it is not bright enough for sunglasses. They also protect your eyes from debris, that is a big problem on windy days but any type of day can bring a random object into your eye.

indysteel
09-27-2010, 06:06 AM
Catrin, I have a pair of PI full shoe covers that you're welcome to try and keep if you like them. I just didn't care for them. I just use toe covers now. Those, along with wool socks and charcoal toe warmers, work okay for me. If you'd like them, I can hand them off to you someday soon.

Catrin
09-27-2010, 06:54 AM
Catrin, I have a pair of PI full shoe covers that you're welcome to try and keep if you like them. I just didn't care for them. I just use toe covers now. Those, along with wool socks and charcoal toe warmers, work okay for me. If you'd like them, I can hand them off to you someday soon.

Thanks, I would love to try them! Thanks to everyone for your tips - I've no family to give me hard core winter-gear for the holidays, but that would be lovely! Of course, you never know what might happen between now and then :)

Selkie
09-27-2010, 07:38 AM
Until I learn if I really do like winter cycling, am trying to avoid dropping lots of $$ on winter gear.

I hate to say it, but without the proper winter gear, it's not easy to enjoy cycling in the cold. That's just my humble opinion, however, and premised on the fact that -- as an endurance cyclist -- I'm usually out on the bike for about 2 hours or more. Cold is a relative thing, too. Some people wear shorts when it's 40 degrees and are fine.

Catrin
09-27-2010, 09:26 AM
I hate to say it, but without the proper winter gear, it's not easy to enjoy cycling in the cold. That's just my humble opinion, however, and premised on the fact that -- as an endurance cyclist -- I'm usually out on the bike for about 2 hours or more. Cold is a relative thing, too. Some people wear shorts when it's 40 degrees and are fine.

I do long rides as well. As I remember last winter I was out in just athletic shoes and socks in upper 20 temps - but I was just learning how to ride last year...so my sessions were rather short - though they did NOT feel like it :)

So I am trying to find a balance - I can't spend a fortune on the hard-core gear until I figure out if I will like it - but I have to get a certain amount to give me a chance to like it. It is a Catch 22 situation for sure. I do appreciate all of the advice!

Crankin
09-27-2010, 03:40 PM
I know that some people wear shorts when it's 40 and never use anything more than toe covers, but I find it pays off to have good head coverings, gloves, socks, and shoe cover options, in more than one winter weight. When it's below 45, I wear a Craft LS base layer and either a thermal type mid layer and a wind jacket or a wool mid layer. These do not have to be cycling specific. I have sleeveless base layers for temperatures above that. Sometimes the thermal mid layer or wool are worn sans jacket, if it is in the fifties/high forties.
But, the extremities. I have a thin, fleece beanie that is so old that my son who is 25 wore it when he was 14 and racing. I have a teeny head and have had difficulty finding head covers that fit. I bought 2 junior size buffs that work pretty well in the upper forties/low fifties. For my hands, I cannot wear liners under regular summer gloves. I tried once and my fingers were slipping all over the bar. Hated it. I have a pair of old Performance lighter weight full finger gloves. Those are my first layer of defense. I bought some PI Amfib gloves, but it is very hard for me to shift the STI shifters on my road bike with them. They are OK with the trigger shifters on the hybrid. I solved this problem by buying a larger size lighter weight full finger gloves, which I wear with thin liners, either synthetic or wool. Both of those I had for x country skiing. I have been known to use charcoal hand warmers, when I was commuting, in between the liner and the glove.
For my feet. I have toe covers that are wind blocking and those go on in the fifties, with super thin wool socks or medium-thinnish weight wool socks that are pretty warm. I also have "woolie-bullie" socks that are thin for heavy socks, but I have to make sure to keep shoes looser if I wear these. Sometimes I wear wool socks without the covers , for those in between temps you are describing.
Finally, I have like 3 pairs of booties. The ones I like the best are by Hind. They have no zipper or snaps, all velcro. I've worn them in the high thirties; frankly below that, I am probably not going to be on my road bike. I have a pair of booties with zippers and velcro for my spd pedals on the hybrid. They are old and torn from wearing them a lot when I had spd pedals on my road bike. It's hard to get them on. So, last year I bought a pair of women specific winter cycling shoes, spd compatible, with Gore Tex. They are expensive, but I got them from Back Country.com, at a very good price. If you wear them with good socks, you won't need booties at low temps. They look like hiking shoes. Look for them on sale in February.
I actually bought a pair of Gore Tex booties on TE 2 years ago. DH bought a pair, too. I cannot get them over my calf! It is very weird. Someone (Knott?) explained that they are probably unisex and as such, are really not made for a woman's leg proportions. A total waste of $.

jelee1311
09-27-2010, 10:06 PM
I think my water/windproof PI booties are fantastic but I deal with a lot of rain and not much snow. When I started riding last fall I hijacked my husbands waterproof thermal gore wear jacket for super cold and I can ride 2hr rides in 20degrees. Other than that I just try to keep my extremities warm , I have these weird gloves that look like lobster claws that I use with liners and I can shift in them. I seem to have also found lots of cold weather wear that was inexspensive and not bike specific at a local sporting goods store and even at Marshalls

Selkie
09-27-2010, 11:25 PM
So I am trying to find a balance - I can't spend a fortune on the hard-core gear until I figure out if I will like it - but I have to get a certain amount to give me a chance to like it. It is a Catch 22 situation for sure. I do appreciate all of the advice!

You don't have to "spend a fortune," just look for sales or buy just a couple high-quality items.

Shoe covers/booties didn't cut it for me. I ended up getting good quality winter cycling shoes/boots--on sale--and have gotten five winters use out of them so far (more than recouped the initial investment). Figure that they will get me through at least part of the upcoming cold weather riding season.

Hands/feet are the most difficult to keep relatively comfortable. A high tolerance for discomfort is probably a necessary attribute for riding in the worst of winter conditions.

There's always the trainer and Coach Troy, if conditions outside are either unsafe or unbearable.

Melalvai
09-28-2010, 06:50 AM
Hands/feet are the most difficult to keep relatively comfortable.
And face. Smear a thick layer of petroleum jelly on your face. Do this AFTER you put your balaclava on (or it'll get in your hair). After your ride wipe it off with kleenex. It is basically like fat. It insulates your face and keeps your cheeks from getting chapped.

Catrin
09-28-2010, 07:45 AM
And face. Smear a thick layer of petroleum jelly on your face. Do this AFTER you put your balaclava on (or it'll get in your hair). After your ride wipe it off with kleenex. It is basically like fat. It insulates your face and keeps your cheeks from getting chapped.

Hadn't thought about the face, good point.

I've decided to invest into a couple of good quality pieces this year - look for a winter shoe sale in Feb/March assuming that I've not been scared off by winter riding by then, and finish my winter "ensemble" next winter. I still have my smartwool base layer from last year - it is much too large now but am hoping to get one more winter out of it.

Will invest in some good socks/gloves/balaclava/arm warmers now and experiment with the shoe covers from IndySteel to see if they will be warm enough for me without soaking my feet. If they work then I can spare the winter shoe expense, though it does sound like an eventual "have to" purchase if I do really get into cold-weather riding.

I've already got a good pair of leg and ear warmers and will see if I can find some decent affordable non-cycling specific warm knickers or fleece pants that I can wear over leg-warmers and shorts. I already have two long-sleeve jerseys + two short sleeve merino wool jerseys - and my overly-large thermal jacket is perfect to cover all of this plus my camelbak.

Thanks to everyone for their advice - it really helps me to "talk it through" - that is just how my brain works. I greatly appreciate it!

Now if I can just persuade my hamstring to shape up and stop complaining on me!

BleeckerSt_Girl
09-28-2010, 01:13 PM
100% merino wool as one of your layers at least is really comfy and toasty warm, but usually doesn't feel clammy when damp.
Yes to balaclavas!
Me, I don't wear special bike shoes or clipless, I use straps on my pedals that can be adjusted larger in the winter to accommodate any of several wonderfully warm winter hiking boots I wear in winter. i can put thick wool socks in those boots and my feet do really well in the cold that way. I find several thinner pairs of gloves are better than one thick pair- especially when i start with a thin but super soft pair of ladies cashmere gloves that I use as liners. :p

warneral
09-28-2010, 01:21 PM
Not yet ready to think about winter (though I should be!). But I did come across this guy's website and thought it was a nice reference. He actually has a neat page on his surly LHT bike setup too

http://www.thirdwave-websites.com/bike/winter-riding.cfm

Melalvai
09-28-2010, 03:38 PM
Indiana is a little bit further north than Missouri, so I'm not sure if this will hold true, but in recent winters there have been only a handful of days that required extreme measures (like petroleum jelly on my face). In fact I'd venture to say that you could get through winter without anything special in the way of clothing, and miss maybe 2 weeks' worth of days. Maybe 3 weeks' worth for you.

On the other hand I have worn my expensive goretex rain gear more in the cold than in the rain. It blocks the wind a treat.

BEWARE of bundling up too much. You can cut of circulation easily with too many pairs of gloves or socks. I made that common newbie mistake my first winter! I was shocked that my toes were COLDER when I added a second pair of socks, and I thought I was going to lose my fingers with the second pair of gloves! I've learned since then, the key is to have oversized outer layers and/or better quality under layers, rather than throwing quantity at it.

malkin
09-29-2010, 06:14 PM
Keep your eye on the discount sites too.

I got a lined Bern helmet for cheap last fall on Sierra Trading Post. It is either dopey looking or quite fashionable depending on how you look at it.

Steep and Cheap and Chainlove sometimes have great stuff too, and the sale section at TE is not to be missed!

Catrin
09-30-2010, 02:47 AM
It is kind of funny - I am moving into a new apartment in a few weeks and I do need some things for the new place. I find myself tempted to just not worry about the needed new apt things so I will have money for winter bike gear - easy to see where my priorities are ;)

I knew about Sierra Trading Post, and, of course, TE's lovely sales. Will keep my eyes out for others.

BleeckerSt_Girl
09-30-2010, 07:07 AM
Do a search of threads here on TE for winter/cold weather gear, gloves, balaklavas, base layers, and clothes. Lots of good threads to read, full of good recommendations.

Be sure to read about the wonders of merino wool as well.

malkin
09-30-2010, 05:12 PM
Take care of to your most sensitive and vulnerable regions first--for me it is hands (because of Reynaud's) and face (because of trigeminal neuralgia).

And imagine, that when I was in high school, we thought rare medical conditions were sort of cool and exotic. Now they are just somewhere between inconvenient and intolerable, but hovering around at annoying.

Catrin
10-03-2010, 03:26 PM
What is the general consensus on gloves like these?

http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodLG_1482096.html

I saw a pair at a LBS yesterday when I picked up arm warmers and smartwool glove liners. They appear to be quite versatile, but how easy is it to use trigger shifters/brakes with the finger covers over the fingers?

A local bike store had a 30% sale this weekend on gear, since they had no Smartwool arm warmers in stock I picked these (http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodPI_9251.html) up for a really good price, as well as the glove liners mention above (for 10% off).

I found such a large difference in sizes for the arm warmers. For the PI warmers I took a small, but tried on several pairs of Gore Windstopper arm warmers and even the medium was much too small... I am very glad that I was able to try them on before my purchase.

OakLeaf
10-03-2010, 06:42 PM
I can't speak directly to the LG gloves you linked to, but I have a pair of convertible running gloves (http://www.saucony.com/store/SiteController/saucony/productdetails?stockNumber=90223-BK&showDefaultOption=true&skuId=***4*******90223-BK00**M&productId=4-104740&catId=cat360254). I do like the option, but typically when I take the covers off, I leave my index fingers inside to keep them from flapping around. I'd make sure those lobster claw covers didn't flap.

Catrin
10-03-2010, 08:12 PM
I can't speak directly to the LG gloves you linked to, but I have a pair of convertible running gloves (http://www.saucony.com/store/SiteController/saucony/productdetails?stockNumber=90223-BK&showDefaultOption=true&skuId=***4*******90223-BK00**M&productId=4-104740&catId=cat360254). I do like the option, but typically when I take the covers off, I leave my index fingers inside to keep them from flapping around. I'd make sure those lobster claw covers didn't flap.

The lobster covers tuck inside a little pocket when not in use, so that shouldn't be an issue.

malkin
10-04-2010, 04:05 PM
I wear shell mittens over wool liners and can shift and brake normally. I don't have any bikes with brifters right now, so I can't speak to that.

Ered_Lithui
10-04-2010, 10:10 PM
Those lobster gloves look nice. Having the flaps tuck into a pocket seems like a good solution. And I particularly like how they offer wrist coverage.

Malkin, what do you wear on your hands that works? I don't have Raynaud's, but my hands are perpetually frigid, even in the middle of summer. If you have any tips I'd be grateful to hear them.

In terms of head coverage, yesterday I lucked out and snagged an Ibex Coppi merino wool bicycling hat for 3 dollars in the used section of an outdoor gear store. Complete with ear flaps! I'm hoping to make it through this winter feeling warmer than last.

Crankin
10-05-2010, 07:58 AM
Eh, I had to give my lobster gloves to my son. I just couldn't shift with them... it felt so weird. I am very sensitive to any changes in position/stability, so I gave up. They were really nice Craft ones, too.

ginaleah
10-06-2010, 10:14 AM
No one has mentioned this yet but it's a little winter trick I learned from my DH and it's FREE. For keeping your toes warmer, you can tear off a piece of a plastic grocery bag, wrap it around your toes (over your socks) and then put your foot into your normal cycling shoes. I usually use the corners of the bag for a more toe-shaped solution. One reason I really like this trick (besides how cheap it is) is that the plastic is very thin and once you get it right it doesn't affect the fit of the shoe. For me, wearing thicker socks, etc has always been a problem because it makes my shoes tighter, thus cutting off circulation and leading to numb feet. The only downside is obviously it is not that breathable but if it's only a 2 hour or less ride that doesn't really matter. I've never tried it on a ride longer than that. Give it a shot.

nscrbug
10-06-2010, 11:41 AM
No one has mentioned this yet but it's a little winter trick I learned from my DH and it's FREE. For keeping your toes warmer, you can tear off a piece of a plastic grocery bag, wrap it around your toes (over your socks) and then put your foot into your normal cycling shoes. I usually use the corners of the bag for a more toe-shaped solution. One reason I really like this trick (besides how cheap it is) is that the plastic is very thin and once you get it right it doesn't affect the fit of the shoe. For me, wearing thicker socks, etc has always been a problem because it makes my shoes tighter, thus cutting off circulation and leading to numb feet. The only downside is obviously it is not that breathable but if it's only a 2 hour or less ride that doesn't really matter. I've never tried it on a ride longer than that. Give it a shot.

Neat idea! Thanks for sharing. I'm gonna give this a try on our next chilly ride.