PDA

View Full Version : Trainer Recommendations

inkspot
09-09-2010, 12:47 PM
I've been an avid cyclist for years, but I have now moved to more chilly, snowy climes and must find a way to continue my riding indoors. I am interested in getting a trainer, but I have never used one. I am a plus-sized girl with a big, beefy mountain bike and a cyclocross bike. I am concerned about finding a trainer that will be both flexible for use with both bikes and durable. Can anyone offer any recommendations or suggestions? I'm especially interested in what I need to avoid! Thanks!

TsPoet
09-09-2010, 12:51 PM
1up
http://www.1upusa.com/bike_trainer.html

Simple, expensive, light, sturdy, fits my multiple recumbent bikes with weird wheel sizes...

NbyNW
09-11-2010, 04:13 PM
Saskatoon, eh? I'm in Edmonton. We're practically neighbors!

I just got a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine in May (Christmas came early this year :cool: ) and I'm very happy with it. There are lots of threads about trainers on this forum, and I think they're worth reading through.

I considered the 1up since many on this board have shared good experiences with it, but I had to have my trainer THAT DAY and the LBS had the KK in stock.

If your bikes have a popular-sized tire, you might be able to find trainer tires for your rear wheel. I think the idea is that they are made of a different compound that grips the flywheel better, and you avoid wearing out your regular wheels. That, and I'm not sure how well knobby tires work on a trainer.

ridebikeme
09-12-2010, 04:29 AM
There are many reputable trainer companies out there, but I would suggest that you buy from a shop rather than a website. My reason for that is that a shop will take care of any problem you might have immediately, online you will need to send it back yourself and go from there. With that said, with most trainers you tend to NOT have any problems. Kinetic, Cycleops, Elite, Minoura are all very reputable companies. MInoura may tend to be the least expensive, and perhaps not have as many options.. but great quallity. If someone comes into the shop looking with a bit smaller budget, I always recommend Minoura. WE've had great luck over the years. All in all, it depends on what you are looking for. Do you have any friends, coworkers that might have one that you can hop on? Also lots of shops have them on display as well, so that may help you narrow down your choice. Also, remember that you will need a block to put under your front wheel... keeps it from having on your weight on your arms.

You will definitely need to get a smooth tire for your mtn bike to use on the trainer. There are trainer tires out there as previously mentioned, I tend to save my old tires and use them on the trainer. Living in Maine, I spend A LOT of time on the trainer and have had good luck .

Have fun in your search and defintely keep us updated! :p

inkspot
09-13-2010, 07:18 AM
Thanks so much for the help and input! Lots of things to think about. I'm off to my LBS this week to test out some trainers. I'll be sure to let you know what comes of the test-rides!

IFjane
09-25-2010, 04:30 PM
Best of luck, inkspot, and let us know what you decide.

If you are still thinking, I would like to second (and third) TsPoet's recommendation of 1upUSA's trainer. Not only is it sturdy, but its concept is so simple that there is very little that could go wrong. My DH and I each have one and they get plenty of use. We have NEVER had an issue with either one. Hope this helps!

inkspot
09-26-2010, 02:45 PM
I've tested a few trainers, and am still undecided. There are a few more that I would like to try. I noticed with some there seems to be a slipping sensation as I get to the bottom of a push stroke. Is this common to a lot of the trainers, and is there a way to prevent this from happening? I'm concerned because I plan to use this to improve climbing strength, and the slipping sensation caused some pain in my knees.

ridebikeme
09-29-2010, 05:52 AM
Glad to hear that you are trying out several options for trainers. Your issue with slipping sounds as though the flywheel isn't adjusted quite right... perhaps the shop needed to adjust it a bit closer. When this happens to you, I would definitely suggest that you talk with LBS and ask them to adjust it. At least by doing that, you can start to eilminate what you like and don't like.

I know there are lots of TE'S that own Cycleops trainers, and the Kurt Kinetic trainers are incredible as well. The reality is that most trainers last many many years and generally don't have any issues. You'll simply need to decide on a budget and the features that you'd like.

If I remember correctly, I think that you are riding a mountain bike, is that correct? If so, there's also a trainer that will rub against that sidewall of your wheel and you wouldn't have to change your rear tire. While they tend to not be quite as popular, it wouldn't be a bad idea to check them out as well.

Have fun trying them out!

zoom-zoom
09-29-2010, 06:50 AM
Has anyone heard anything about pricing for the Lemond trainer (http://www.lemondfitness.com/product_listing/19/revolution-bike-trainer)? I recently found out about this and apparently it was a pretty big deal at Interbike. Hubby said he thought he saw that a lot of pros are already using it and guessed that it would be beaucoup bucks. Cool idea, though, and would take up a bit less space in our living room and be less risky with 4 cats underfoot. I love that it allows for some "coasting."

inkspot
09-29-2010, 07:23 AM
The only pricing information I could find on this trainer was from here: http://www.bikerumor.com/2010/09/13/updates-pricing-announced-for-lemond-fitness-revolution-trainer/. It looks like it's $499 (USD) and available only directly from LeMond for now.

zoom-zoom
09-29-2010, 07:31 AM
The only pricing information I could find on this trainer was from here: http://www.bikerumor.com/2010/09/13/updates-pricing-announced-for-lemond-fitness-revolution-trainer/. It looks like it's $499 (USD) and available only directly from LeMond for now.

OW!!! :eek:

ridebikeme
09-29-2010, 09:21 AM
Zoom, the Lemond trainers definitely look intersting! One of the things that I worry about is that bikes that are either a 10/11 speed drivetrain often need to have the shifting adjusted... they seem to be bit more finicky. So I wonder if it will pose some problems with people unless they have dedicated trainer bikes.???

At any rate, there are LOTS of great trainers out there, I guess it all comes down to how much we all want to spend.:p