PDA

View Full Version : long ride=sore feet

caribou
09-13-2005, 09:53 AM
I'm preparing to do a 75-mile ride, and having problems as I increase distance with my feet swelling and getting very painful after c. 35 miles. I've found I need to loosen my shoes and walk around for a couple minutes to decrease the pain, but it comes back again. Any other suggestions?

(The up side is, I forget how my butt feels because the feet hurt more!)
:rolleyes:

CorsairMac
09-13-2005, 12:19 PM
couple of things you can try:

start out with your shoes looser so your feet have room to swell. Make sure your socks allow for swelling also: no tight cuffs or elastic bands. Also you may want to consider switching out your insoles. I use running insoles in my shoes. I also flex and splay my toes while I'm riding so the feet aren't so static. I stop about every 1 1/2 hrs to eat and take off my shoes. I usually try to walk around in my stocking feet during that time especially if you can find some grass - it just seems to feel good on my feet! :p

shewhobikes
09-15-2005, 06:55 PM
plus...
what kind of shoes are you wearing? I was wearing mtn bike shoes on my road bike and found them heavy and hot. Make sure you have some ventilated road bike shoes that fit you correctly.

Even then, if your toes are numb or your feet get hot, best remedy I know is to take the shoes off at rest stops, walk around sock-footed, etc.

Also, while riding, be sure to wiggle your toes and move our feet around in the pedals. Good luck! Foot pain is the worst.

triflor
01-24-2006, 02:52 PM
I have the same problem, and tend to go with the same solutions. But also on level, quiet portions of a ride I unclip and stretch my legs a bit. Next time you get your bike set up bring this up, the cleat position make not be right for you.

DeniseGoldberg
01-24-2006, 03:07 PM
It might help to loosen your shoes as you get further into your ride.

How do your shoes fasten? I wear Sidi Dominator shoes (mountain bike shoes even though I only ride on the road), and they have 2 velcro straps and 1 "click-in" strap. I can loosen or tighten all of the straps while I am riding, so if I need to make adjustments I don't need to stop.

--- Denise

Nanci
01-28-2006, 05:12 AM
Long Distance Cycling book says you can move your cleats back a titch to prevent/lessen pain/numbness with no loss in performance. Also, I think your feet eventually just build tolerance to it, just like other areas (assuming well-fitting shoes, etc.) :-) It sure feels good to walk around without shoes for a minute, or just walk around, even _with_ shoes.

Nanci

triflor
01-30-2006, 09:04 AM
mellic your post reminded me of something.
If you're also a runner you are even more prone to overuse foot injuries. Stress fractures are super painful and can be a surprise. I had a lot of foot problems last season and I wondered if it was a stress fracture. I guess it wasn't but I had to not run for a couple of weeks and take it easy with hills.
Because on hills the pressure on your feet increases make sure to don't push too hard of a gear.

Nanci
01-30-2006, 10:26 AM
http://www.yoursole.com/

You might like these footbeds if you have feet problems. You put them in the oven then put your feet on them and they mold to your feet. They are really comfy, especially if you like arch support. I am thinking of seeing if mine would fit in my bike shoes.

Nanci

bcipam
01-30-2006, 01:22 PM
I've suffered for years with foot problems. Have tried alot of things - fittings, change of shoes, different pedals. Ultimately have decided that I have a permanent injury to my foot as it now hurts, in the same small spot, when I'm hiking. What has helped is getting a pedal with a larger platform. I went from Speedplays to Dura Ace. The larger platform distributes the pressure over a larger area and if feeling eally bad, I can unclick and ride on top of the pedal while I do stretches. I curl and uncurl my toes, point them up and down and just move around my foot and it will generally give me another 20 miles before pain. Just stopping and giving my foot a 5 minutes rest also helps.

Also its my left foot that hurts. I do all my clipping and unclipping with my right. I think becuase the left foot always stays clipped in I have pain so I try now to clip in and out on both side, alternating (although it still is so ackward for me to unclip the left side but I am getting better).

Good fitting shoes is very important. Just because a shoe is expensive doesn't mean it's good for you. I had a very expensive pair of carbon soled Specialized shoes and I was miserable. I'm now back in my Sidi's - Dominators for the MTBike and Genius for the road bike. Something about the upper leather is just so much more comfortable.

mellic
01-31-2006, 06:46 PM
It is interesting that you have had problems with specialized shoes, because I was wearing a rather expensive pair of specialized shoes when my problems started.

I am still wearing my specialized shoes today and still get an occasional tweak of pain in my feet. Yesterday I ordered some Sidi Doms (in that sexy red colour) so hopefully they will reduce/eliminate my foot problems.

bcipam
02-01-2006, 10:53 AM
I have the top of the line Spec. shoes - paid alot of money for them and they are now my spin class shoes. Something about the stiff sole of something that caused me problems. I now have the Sidi Doms and like an old leather glove, they fit beautifully and foot problems gone!

Brandi
02-13-2006, 08:12 AM
the swelling could also happen if you have a lot of salt in your diet. Also potassium pills can help with cramping. Or eating a banana before you ride. Drink a lot of water! And what everyone else said. I get really bad toe pain when I go on long hikes. I ave to flex my toes a lot to get over it. It hurts. But a banana seems to help.