PDA

View Full Version : Ride the Rivers Century

momm77
08-30-2010, 08:07 AM
Has anyone every ridden this Century in October that begins in St. Charles, Missouri? I'm trying to get a feel for how hilly the course might be.

Thanks!

lattae
08-30-2010, 10:08 AM
I did the century ride last year and enjoyed it for the most part. They reversed the route a few years ago and that helped tremendously. In the past, cyclists would have to get off the ferry and climb some pretty steep hills immediately but now we're going down the steep hill so makes a big difference. Once you do cross the Brussels ferry you'll have some hills to climb, I'm not a very good hill climber but was able to ride all of them. This is a good century ride, nice rest stops, with plenty of snacks and drinks, lunch at the park in Alton, at approx mile 65 or so... I'm just hoping it will be a tad warmer for the start this year,, it was in the 30's last year and it gradually became warmer as the day went on. This is a popular century and usually a very good turnout of riders.

momm77
08-30-2010, 03:39 PM
Thanks so much for your response. After a hilly 75 mile ride in Kansas City yesterday, I wanted to assure myself that this century would not be all hills.

We rode the Katy Trail end to end last year at approximately the same time, and it was a brisk 35 degrees when we began in the mornings. Certainly not my favorite riding temperature, but preferable to 90 to 100 degrees as it warmed up throughout the day.

lattae
09-03-2010, 06:30 AM
I want to give you a heads up about a steep hill right after your exit from Creve Coeur park... it's not a long hill but at the top of it is a traffic light and a cyclist crashed last year at this area. This hill was unexpected so be ready for it as you leave the park.

TrekTheKaty
09-06-2010, 04:28 AM
Momm77,
This is a great end-of-the-summer century! (We planned on doing it every year, but I stayed in bed last year!) This is a report from two years ago. If you've done some hills, you'll be fine. The first 10 and last 10 are hilly, but the rest is pancake flat. Riding part of the route helped calm my nerves. From Alton, headed up Great River Road to Pere Marquette park and back. From, Alton down to Chain of Rocks bridge and back on the levee. Parked in St. Charles New Town and rode the Golden Eagle Ferry over to "Hill County!"

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=27269&highlight=ride+rivers

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=27271&highlight=ride+rivers

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/6962374

It took me a lot longer than I'd hoped, but I definitely wasn't the last one out there and give me room for improvement! :D

momm77
09-07-2010, 05:31 AM
Thanks so much for your responses lattae and TrekTheKaty.

I must say that the elevation map posted by Trek looks far scarier than the one on Map My Ride.

This will be my first century so I'm a bit apprehensive, but I did do a hot, hilly, windy 75 mile ride 2 weeks ago. Not a breeze by any manner, but I did finish. Last year I did 93 miles on the Katy in one day which I figure is close to a road century.

I have never ridden in St. Louis so I'm looking forward to riding by the arch and on the ferry boats.

Thanks again for your help, I'm a bit apprehensive, but hope to be able to finish and more importantly, enjoy the ride.

TrekTheKaty
09-13-2010, 08:10 AM
Keep in touch. I'm hoping to be there also :)

lattae
10-11-2010, 06:15 AM
Hey Trek or Momm77
Did you gals do the trailnet century yesterday? It was perfect weather this year. I still found it to be a challenge with the hills. They had about 500 cyclists for the event. The river road was very crowded as I knew it would be with everyone heading to Pere Marquette or Grafton. Lots of motorcyclists zooming by us as we were riding.

Catrin
10-11-2010, 07:10 AM
Thanks so much for your responses lattae and TrekTheKaty.

I must say that the elevation map posted by Trek looks far scarier than the one on Map My Ride.....

I've learned that you have to be very careful how you use the elevation on Map My Ride. I think it just over-generalizes unless you are looking at very small portions of road - such as the actual hill in question.

momm77
10-12-2010, 04:19 AM
I rode the century yesterday with two of my cycling buddies and we had a great time. It was my first century so I was a bit apprehensive, but it turned out great.

We had never ridden in St. Louis before and thought the course was interesting. We did get tired of the stoplights between Forest Park and downtown and did not like all the traffic along the river.

I thought the hills weren't too bad except the ones between 85 and 90 came when you were starting to get weary. I've heard that they used to do the course the opposite way and I can't imagine getting off the ferry and starting up that steep hill.

All in all, it was a memorable day for us, and we are considering doing it again some time.