PDA

View Full Version : Cross-Fit: Opinions?

TsPoet
08-24-2010, 07:59 AM
My friend has talked me into trying CrossFit, which is the latest somewhat controversial "fitness" fad. Being an old-time weight lifter, I'm into slow and I try very hard to work on form at all times. I ride my bike very slow, too. I need some fast and I need to lose weight! So Cross fit is maybe a good idea. But, the lack of form bothers and concerns me. Has anyone tried this?
This is a random webpage on the topic
http://gearjunkie.com/crossfit-workout

I try really hard not to let anyone know that my joints are old and creaky, but they are. I try hard not to limp and to move and...the crossfit we tried last night was hard on my limited range of motion. Crossfit will either help or kill me!

gnat23
08-25-2010, 07:22 AM
I found that you can get out of it what *you* want. Just like a spinning class, the instructor will yell and scream for you to go faster stronger harder, but if you can't, then don't and don't get yourself hurt just because someone told you.

Since the workout description is usually on the board at the beginning of the class, I took the coach aside and would ask for modifications on things that I had limited range on. Then I didn't have to interrupt the flow of the class during the WOD.

I loved crossfit and wish I could continue. I was never bored with the workouts and got really strong really quickly. Unfortunately, the schedule didn't fit well with mine and it was pretty pricey per month.

-- gnat!

yellow
08-25-2010, 03:27 PM
What gnat said. I love the Crossfit program. It took my fitness to another level. I scaled and changed as needed but was always challenged and got really, really strong. Best of all is the group dynamic. People from all walks of life, all working together and cheering each other on.

My ROM got a little better but was never as good as the 20 year olds'. Oh well. They could kick my a$$ in lifting but I routinely kicked their a$$ during metcon-type workouts. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses.

Regarding your form concerns, I suspect it's the trainer(s) not doing his/her (their) job(s). At the Crossfit gym I used to go to we always had skill work before any lifting, with emphasis on proper form to avoid injury. Once you are comfortable, I'd talk to the trainer about your concern. If they blow you off, find another Crossfit gym; you shouldn't pay for that type of non-training. It's in their interest to make sure no one gets hurt. Sure the 20-something guys will pull crappy SDLHP and snatch to go as fast as possible, but that doesn't mean you have to.

I am not going now because of surgery earlier this year, and I really miss it. But I plan to go back when I'm back to more normal flexibility and power. I will never lift heavy again, but there are plenty of other parts of the program that I will be able to do or I can just scale and modify.

My impression is that folks either love it or they hate it, and you know pretty quickly which type you are. :)