PDA

View Full Version : Just saying hi

LovesFrance
03-24-2003, 12:06 PM
I just wanted to introduce myself. While I've been a serious exerciser for many years, thoroughly enjoying some wonderful bicycle rides, I decided that I want to train more seriously. My goal: A 50-mile ride this summer. Anyway, I'm 40, just lost 35 lbs (and have 10 more to lose) and I'm feeling terrific after my first ride of the season yesterday.
Now, this sounds kind of childish, but aside from the physical challenges, I have a serious psychological challenge to overcome: I'm afraid of two things: traffic and riding down steep hills. Any advice to help me overcome these fears? My DH (major cyclist) tells me I'll gain confidence by doing it.
Anyway, I'm happy to find such a nice forum for questions, encouragement and sharing the sport.

Hill Nelly
03-24-2003, 02:40 PM
Hi LovesFrance,

Good for you that you're out there doing something that you love.
I'm in that 40 yr old club, have lost some wieght, gotten alot healthier and enthused about cycling, too.
I can only share what my experience has taught and this is just my second year in the saddle
- so here goes.
First, you might try using a helmet or handlebar mounted mirror so you can check for traffic behind you. My fear of traffic has decreased the more I get out there. Still, I don't like trucks pulling trailers of any kind. Gives me the heeby jeebies. Always ride defensively - look around all the time, stand up in the pedals to let a car pulling from a side street know you are coming - I can't tell you how many times I think this has really saved me. Still, expect that some drivers will try to jet out in front of you just to beat you. Truth, the more you ride out there you WILL gain a bbetter level of confidence. Just takes time.
Downhilling - this year I'm tucking on familiar hills. It's a rush!!!
If conditions are sandy (the after snow stuff left over from winter), unfamiliar or wet, I sit up, coast and brake conservatively.
Really, do what you need to in order to feel most in control. Again, the more you ride, the more confident you'll be. Guarantee.

I hope you'll get more responses that will encourage you.;)

erinpie
03-26-2003, 05:11 PM
I'm fairly new to cycling, too, and was pretty timid on the roads when I started out! One of the things that has given me a lot more confidence on roads was to ride with a group of people. I joined one of the local cycling clubs and ride with them often, but I find that even cycling with just one other person makes me a lot less nervous about whether or not drivers can see me.

On steep downhills, one of the things I've heard that's helpful is to slide back a little on your saddle. Transferring your weight farther to the rear of the bike makes it more unlikely that you'll go over your handlebars.

MM_QFC!
03-27-2003, 07:45 PM
Good points all and I've found that many cyclists out for a road ride forget how easy it is for a driver to not see them in shadows, so it's really important to make sure you're visible...some of the mid to darker jersey colors get lost in the shaded areas of the road. Being a cyclist, I think that I have a heightened sensitivity to spot riders when I'm behind the wheel, but have found that many folks just ride along oblivious to others and even I don't see them until I'm almost right behind them. Drivers need advance notice that you're there, so they can slow down, pass carefully or whatever is needed to keep everyone safe.
Another reeeeeeally important thing to remember is to ALWAYS signal when you're slowing down, turning, etc. Many drivers may not know what each hand signal means, but it catches their attention and reflects well on all of us out there, improving cyclists reputation. If you ride steady and seem predictable (not weaving or pulling out into the traffic lane without signalling, etc), riding along, and being aware, you can prevent lots by seeing what's going on around you and always being ready to react defensively. Since I bike commute alot, I wear the bright colored clothing, have lights and reflection strips and make sure I do what I can for drivers to notice and not come near me!
Re: your backpack and aching back - I agree and found that I didn't like to have anything on my back. Got a rack and bigger gear bag for my commuter bike. Another option to a backpack if you really find you need a bigger bag to hold your purse is a messenger type bag...the cross strap in front doesn't restrict as much as backpack straps and there are several different sizes...mine's by Timbuk2 and they're in the Bay Area (CA). Happy trails!

williamtash
08-11-2003, 06:31 AM
Hi, LovesFrance, Now let me tell you about traffic. I have been riding about 3 1/2 years and I have 1000miles on my bikes. Most of those are in a traffic area with stores lights and right turn on red and parked cars. The best way to get use to traffic is find a place around you that has less traffic and go up from there. I have been hit once by a car. That was right turn on red and he did not see me ya right. I have one car or twenty really makes no differance. That car was only of about three on the rode at 5:00 am. Also don't ride at peak traffic times. Off times work the best. I ride after work starts and school not near lunch or when work let out 7:00 pm seem to be good in NC. Watch who the traffic works before putting your bike out there. I ride on a six lane road for part of my 24 mile and I really try to have eye in the back of my head. It just take time to get use to cars.:p Never let anything stop you from a good ride you can do it.The hill I went down the biggest hill sat aug 9 that I ever went down and had no other way to go I held my breath :eek: and took the plung. The rider next to me told me to light touch the brakes but don't choke them them just go with it. It was great but I was glad it was over:D Just try it one step at a time Sandy