PDA

View Full Version : Affordable Carbon Bike?

KatieBelle
09-11-2005, 07:06 AM
Does anyone know if there is an affordable "all carbon" bike? The Trek Pilot 5.0 looks good, but is there anything under $2000?

Being a newbie, I don't know whether all carbon is even the way to go. Would the ride still be smooth with just a carbon fork and carbon seat post, like the Trek Pilot 2.1?

Trekhawk
09-11-2005, 10:09 AM
Does anyone know if there is an affordable "all carbon" bike? The Trek Pilot 5.0 looks good, but is there anything under $2000?

Being a newbie, I don't know whether all carbon is even the way to go. Would the ride still be smooth with just a carbon fork and carbon seat post, like the Trek Pilot 2.1?

Hi Katie - I have a Trek 5000 and paid 1800 for it. I think it is normally around 2200 but got it cheaper as they are getting all the new models in and clearing out the older ones. Cant say if the ride would be as smooth with just a carbon fork as this is the only bike I have ridden for any amount of time.

Good luck on your bike hunt.
:)

Kimred
09-11-2005, 06:30 PM
I have a Klein Q Carbon Team. I paid about 1800.00 for it 2 years ago and that was a deal, it retailed about 2300.00. I adore this bike. It has a Carbon fork and seatstay. It rides beautifully and has great pep going up hills.
It's rides much better than a all aluminion bike, it's not stiff.
All Carbon Bikes have come down in price since then it would be great if you can test them both. That's truly the best way to decide what you want.

Good Luck and have fun shopping!!
Kim :)

sarahk
09-12-2005, 10:56 AM
Hi,

I purchased a Giant TCR Limited this year. I think they go for around $1900. They do have a series of TCR bikes, I think the cheapest ones go for $1650. I love my bike!!

Sarah

Carm
09-12-2005, 04:28 PM
Does Would the ride still be smooth with just a carbon fork and carbon seat post, like the Trek Pilot 2.1?

Hi Katie,

I test rode the Trek Pilot 5.0 and ended up buying the Pilot 2.1. I found that the Pilot 5.0 has a much smoother ride and the components were much better. Riding that bike was like riding on glass - couldn't feel the road at all. I fell in love with it and haven't forgotten how good it felt to ride. But..., we still had to eat at our house so I got the 2.1 instead.

KatieBelle
09-13-2005, 05:56 AM
Thanks everyone for your comments. I have not dared to actually test drive anything yet fearing that I will fall in love with something expensive. ;) I will definitely test drive though before I add something to my list for Santa.

CorsairMac
09-13-2005, 11:25 AM
Thanks everyone for your comments. I have not dared to actually test drive anything yet fearing that I will fall in love with something expensive. ;) I will definitely test drive though before I add something to my list for Santa.

I can just about promise you you'll fall in love with the "something expensive"!! ;)

Corsair "it's why I'm still riding vintage!" Mac

KatieBelle
09-18-2005, 01:59 PM
As always, CorsairMac was right! I rode the Trek Pilot 5.0 today and fell in love. I also tried the Trek 5000 WSD, which is a sweet ride, but I like the more upright position of the Pilot. I tried the Giant OCR C3, but my left thigh rubbed against the wire to the back brakes which stuck out from the frame. :confused: The lbs did not have a Specialized Robaix Elite in my size. I will have to try another lbs to ride that one.

Right now, the Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD is my favorite. I sure hope Santa thinks I have been a good girl this year. ;)

newfsmith
09-18-2005, 03:45 PM
If you are on a budget, consider some of the Carbon-Al mix bikes. The Felt 70 comes in a 47 frame with 650 wheels, carbon seat stays and fork. I find the ride as smooth as my all-steel bikes. You have to set your riding goals and budget. If you are only going to have one bike, and are planning to do a lot of distance and some racing, then all carbon makes sense. If you are planning to commute and occasional longer rides, all carbon wouldn't be needed and a mix might be a better economic choice. Don't worry, no matter what you get when you start out, you will find something better in 2-3 years. Very few cyclists stick with one bike for their lifetime.

Selkie
09-19-2005, 01:16 PM
If you can wait, I heard (not verified) that Specialized might come out with an all-carbon Dolce. Haven't seen it on their website though, so I'm not sure if my LBS guy was right about that tip. I'm saving my pennies, hoping that it's true :)