PDA

View Full Version : Maintaining/training for another century?

natheless
09-09-2005, 09:51 AM
Hi all,

I am about to ride my first century this weekend. I've worked pretty hard all summer getting ready and I think I am, despite never having quite enough time to ride quite as much as most of the training plans I found online wanted me to... (my maximum was 150 miles/week.)

Anyway, I am considering doing a second century ride in about 5 weeks, and I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on maintaining fitness, ie., do I need to keep working as hard as I have been, or can I afford to relax a little bit?

What I was thinking of doing is riding about 20-25 miles T, Th and Saturday, and then a 50-60 mile ride on Sunday, from now until the 2nd century in Mid-October. Does that sound reasonable?

Any thoughts or input would be much appreciated!

be well.../julia

Dogmama
09-10-2005, 06:37 PM
It depends...

A lot depends on your age, fitness level, years on the bike, etc. Also, stress plays a huge role in recovery as does nutrition and sleep.

Without knowing anything about you, I'd say that you probably want to spend the next week doing recovery rides - short distances, moderate pace. I'd ratchet it up a bit until approximately 10 days before your next century, then go back down to shorter, more moderate rides.

RoadRaven
09-10-2005, 08:46 PM
Just keep riding...
minimum 3-4 times a week...
have at least 1 rest day a week
ride some of your rides at recovery pace (slower than you need to)
do some interval training (like short sprints inside a training ride)
if the course you are aiming to ride is hilly, do some hill reps once a week

Keep riding... for the distance and the terrain your goal ride is...

Keep on.... riding :rolleyes:

Oh, and have fun doing it... ;) thats the most important bit...

Look forward to hearing more about your rides

:)

Trek420
09-11-2005, 02:19 PM
What they both sed. Also rest and nutrition's so important.

Let's see how you do on your first century, how you feel. I bet you'll do GREAT!

bikerchick68
09-14-2005, 12:37 PM
I rode my first century this Feb, the second 4 weeks later and have done 5 total this year with another in 2 weeks (Lighthouse Century)...

between centuries I have continued my normal training... for me that's 3-4 days a week with one day a 40.4 mile commute to work (2000ft climbing) and 2 days of maybe 16 miles (the light is fading fast at night now so the rides are getting shorter! :rolleyes: ) and the weekends 30-60 miles depending on how much time I have...

half the battle is mental, the knowledge that you CAN ride a century... I took the 3rd one for granted as the first 2 seemed so easy... and got my butt kicked! I went out the night before, didn't get enough sleep and had a glass of wine... aaaaaaaack! sleep, hydration and fueling are critical... I learned my lesson... no partying the night before a century... even if it WAS my birthday! :cool: :D

bcipam
09-14-2005, 03:37 PM
My thought is if you maintain a certain fitness level, you can do a century with extra training or riding, although if it's a difficult century, with alot of climbing, you should be tackling hills as part of your weekly riding.

During the Spring and Summer and into the fall, I ride 3 - 4 times a week. I no longer train for centuries. I agree it's a mental thing. I know I can do 100 miles or so, so I just go do it. I pace myself accordenly, use the sag stops properly and just git r done! That doesn't mean ever century will be easy. There is this whole thing with peaking on performance etc. I peaked for a century in August and did one this month, and felt aweful. I did it, but not as easily. I am doing a very hilly century in October so I've decided to start doing alot of hill work so my body gets use to grinding long distances up hills. Because it's getting harder to ride after work, I'm going back into Spin Class. Every little bit helps.

Dogmama
09-15-2005, 03:02 AM
What is your max mileage before a century? Anybody?

latelatebloomer
09-15-2005, 08:57 AM
I've been talking with Trekhawk about training for a century next year. I shared with her my new theory on "Thought Process on First Exposure to the Concept of Century Rides"

1)Those people are insane. (a day passes)

2) It must be kind of cool to be that insane. (a day passes)

3) I want to be that insane.

I can't believe what you people are doing to me!!!

Trekhawk
09-15-2005, 09:38 AM
[QUOTE=latelatebloomer]I've been talking with Trekhawk about training for a century next year.

Yep latelatebloomer is my new virtual training partner. We are going to become centurians next year and she is right about getting hooked I looked at one ride for next year and it offered the double century as well and I found myself saying maybe the following year I could try that. Yikes brain better let the legs in on this info. :D

SadieKate
09-15-2005, 09:47 AM
I shared with her my new theory on "Thought Process on First Exposure to the Concept of Century Rides"

I can't believe what you people are doing to me!!!That's good! It expressed that my thought process as the TE Girls sucked me into their Hill Training Program. Resistance is futile.

bcipam
09-15-2005, 10:04 AM
What is your max mileage before a century? Anybody?

I'll usually do a metric, maybe 70 - 75 miles but no more. If I can do that distance easily, a century is no problem. I would do your longest ride 2 weeks before the century and then taper off. The weekend before, nothing long or hard. Just ride for seat time.

Dogmama
09-16-2005, 04:29 AM
I'll usually do a metric, maybe 70 - 75 miles but no more. If I can do that distance easily, a century is no problem. I would do your longest ride 2 weeks before the century and then taper off. The weekend before, nothing long or hard. Just ride for seat time.

When I did my first century, my longest ride was 65 miles to that point. The century was not difficult because adrenaline carried me along at least 25 miles.

In Tucson we have El Tour de Tucson which is 111 miles. A group trains for it every Sunday. Last Sunday was a windy day. I found myself on a bumpy rural road, going uphill, fighting a 10-15 mph headwind. I had one rider behind me. Or so I thought. When the road turned and went downhill, about 20 riders passed me! I was pulling this huge peloton & had no idea! BUT HERE'S the :mad: PART: Not ONE of these jerks pulled me! They broke away & scattered. WELL!!! About 20 miles later, there is this BIG STEEP HILL and weren't they suprised to see ME on their tail about halfway up. (I'm good on hills but I s*uck on downhills 'cause I'm not that big.) I felt like Garfield: "Remember me?"

Sorry for the thread hijack.

For me, the hardest part is the start. I get really nervous with all of those riders - none of whom I know - are manipulating their positions. After the peloton thins out, I'm fine.

caligurl
09-19-2005, 11:39 AM
you can do it! just keep riding! make sure to take at least one rest day a week! that's VERY important!

for me... i always, ALWAYS take the day before a big ride off as a rest day... it works for me!

the day after a big ride is always a recovery (easy spin.... avoid hills) ride! the length depends on what my legs feel like (depend on what the long ride was)

i've done big rides a week apart... and actually have 2 big rides scheduled 6 days apart coming up... a double metric this sunday (with lots of climbing) and a 10,000+ climbing century the following saturday... i plan to recovery ride sunday and ride regular (including climbing) tues-thurs...

i've come to realize there's a lot of mental... think positively! YOU CAN DO IT!

just keep on riding!!!!!!

p.s. if you are going to "relax"... i'd do it in the few days immediately after the first ride... then get right back into riding.... riding.... riding!

caligurl
09-19-2005, 11:40 AM
I've been talking with Trekhawk about training for a century next year. I shared with her my new theory on "Thought Process on First Exposure to the Concept of Century Rides"

I can't believe what you people are doing to me!!!

and how about this once you are on the ride:

"i PAID to do this to myself?"