PDA

View Full Version : Tour De Mary - Or how I spent my 44th Birthday

mary9761
09-08-2005, 12:43 PM
Tour De Mary --- 7 Sept, 2005
(or how I spent my 44th Birthday)

I actually allowed myself to sleep in a little bit this particular morning, but I didn't want to stay in bed too long. I had a big day planned. I get up check my email and get some oatmeal and coffee. I get a shower and make sure I have plenty of gatorade and water packed for when I'm not on the MONON. This will be the maiden ride for my new bike shorts so we'll see how they do today.
Step out to the garage, grab the bike, do my preride inspection, then get some stretching done so I'm not cold going out on the road. I've waited until after 9 am so I could avoid rush hour traffic on Washington St. This is going to be my first big weekday ride, I'm looking forward to spending my 44th Birthday on the trail.
I hit Washington Street and traffic is light, so I cruise up to White River Greenway. Hmmm, I think I'll take this route instead of going straight to the MONON today. Cross White River to 10th and across the footbridge, I'm on my way. I've never been here, what a beautiful view, I'll have to be sure to come this way more often. Ok so quit being Tammy Tourist and get riding. I get to 30th Street, the Canal trail is supposed to be near here. Hey, where'd the River Greenway go? Find my way around to White River Parkway go around the golf courses. Um.... the trail ended, I must have taken a wrong turn at Albuquerque turn around and get back to 30th Street. Ok look for signs. Ah, there is a sign, now, where is the path?? If I'd been thinking ahead as to which route I was going to take today, I'd have grabbed the maps of White River and Central Canal.
Find the path again and I'm back on track. I've only ever seen pictures of the Canal Tow Path, it's beautiful back here. It's a bit of a narrow path for not being paved, and so close to the water. I'll have to be extra careful. It's still nice out, I hope it doesn't get too hot before I finish this day. I've got to keep hydrated if I'm going to get a metric in today.
I make it to Broad Ripple, that's been a really nice little ride so far. There are more people out there than I expected on a weekday, wonder what it's like on the MONON. Down some more gatorade, take a few more pics and away we go again. Wow there ARE more people on the MONON than I expected today, but not near as bad as the weekend. I'm making pretty good timing. I'm near where David (my son) works, give him a quick IM to let him know I'm in the area.
Keep rolling into Carmel Village. Stop in and say hello to the folks at Valley Bikes, they're really nice and I enjoy stopping in when I'm up this way. Show off my new shorts to the owners. There's talk about the possibility of my making some shorts for the store? I'll consider it once I get a few pair made and I'm TOTALLY happy with my results. What a compliment. While I'm there another visitor (regular too) is getting ready to head towards 146th up the MONON so we ride the short distance together. We have great conversation on the way. (This is why I really want to find someone to ride with more often)
I am now around the 25 mile mark for the day, if I play my cards right, I'll get that metric yet. Turn around and head back down the MONON to stop in at Bike Line. I want to check on the route for the Katrina Relief Ride, pick up some GU liquid rechargers and ask about this brake cable that has been rubbing on my right shoe and has broken loose. Don't want to be out and have the rear brakes fail. I'd seen Jimmy over the weekend midway of my last metric and told him I'd show him the shorts when I get them done as well. Walk in and it's lunch time in the workshop, who's standing there feeding his face? None other than Marlin, oops interrupted lunch. Ask about the route for the ride, great sounds like I should be able to do most of it. Going out to do Dan Henry's tomorrow, cool. Maybe I can check it out over the weekend. I ask if there were any flyers etc for the ride that possibly I could had out to some riders while I'm out today and put up in Broad Ripple Village. Saw some other Katrina benefit stuff on bulletin boards/telephone poles on the way up here. Jimmy and Marlin give me several to take with me. Look at possibly getting a rack for the back of the Trek so I can carry things there instead on my back. Show Jimmy the shorts and tell them both I'm planning on another metric for the day. What better way to celebrate my birthday, ( well, could think of something, but can't say in polite company LOL) The guys in the back fix the cable, I purchase my GU and thinking that chinese take out they had smelled awfully good, decide it's time to grab some lunch myself before I tackle the rest of my day. While I'm there, Marlin gives me a new moniker... Mileage Mary LOL I think I like it. I tell Jimmy that hopefully by the ride I'll have my matching jersey done as well
Grab a quick lunch, rehydrate again and I'm on my way back to the MONON. I decide to ride back up to 146th Street. Every mile extra gets me closer to that metric. When I get back to the trail head, I debate heading down 146th St towards Noblesville, but decide not to. I turn around and head on back towards Broad Ripple. When I get there, I pass out some flyers and find a couple bulletin boards to pin to. I look to find Nuvo (only to find the newspaper has moved) as I have a friend who works there and thought maybe it could go in the newspaper. Too bad I don't know where it's moved.
Ok, so it's time to head back to the Canal path it's mid afternoon and warm so hopefully there's some good shade along the canal or at least a good breeze. Heading back along the Canal, I come across a grove of Willows (my favorite tree) and decide since I hadn't stopped to get a photo this morning I'd get one now. I couldn't have done this if I'd planned it, I look at my trip odometer... 44 miles and some change exactly my birthday to stop and look at my favorite trees. Further along it appears that the same turtles that were sunny themselves this morning are in the same place. I stop and started one of the turtles back into the water. Photos don't look too good.
I almost miss the turn off to get back to the White River Greenway path, but make it and retrace my earlier route this morning. I look at my odometer, I'm getting close to the 50 mile or so mark, better stretch some more. I'm doing good until about 55-56 mile mark some kind of bug thinks it's going to hitchhike a ride in my cleavage. YIKES! At least I get rid of it and it wasn't a stinging insect... I end up going around the White River downtown Indianapolis and through White River State Park behind the Zoo. There's some pretty things along that path. I took more tourist photos, and the last leg of a few miles home and succeeding my birthday metric is in my grasp.
By the time I get home, the days light is beginning to fade, but I take a victory lap around the neighborhood (to get off of busy Washington Street) and I finish my day with a great big smile on my face. My longest metric yet 63.93 AND I broke my 700 mile goal by nearly 5 miles. While I'm doing my post ride stretches, I reflect on just what I accomplished today. I celebrated 44 feeling the healthiest that I have since my early 20's or so, I rode nearly 64 miles doing it AND topped 700 miles in just a very short time. My new Trek now has over 600 miles on her and I'm pleased as punch. I don't have access to my photos right now as they are at home. Later this evening, I will finish editing them and load the photo diary of my day. I will post the link for anyone who would like to see them.
Signing off for now,
Mileage Mary :D:D:D

CorsairMac
09-08-2005, 02:13 PM
Happy Birthday Mary and congrats on the ride. Sounds like a wonderful, relaxing, beautiful day! I know the route you're talking: I used to run the Canal Path (back when it was gravel) from Broad Ripple to the Art Museum and back. I have pixs in my house of the route especially around Holcomb Gardens to remind me of those simpler times! :D The Monon was still a train track when I lived there! as for the wrong turn to Albuquerque - really??...and ya didn't call me to come ride with ya?? :p Aren't those leisurely meandering rides fun?
Thanks for sharing it with us!

emily_in_nc
09-09-2005, 07:12 AM
Congratulations Mary, what a great accomplishment!

From another 44-year-young one, :)

Emily

mary9761
09-09-2005, 09:01 AM
http://photobucket.com/albums/a361/mary9761/Tour%20De%20Mary%207%20%20September%202005/

Here are the photos I took while I was on my birthday metric. I hope you all enjoy them as much as I enjoyed taking them.
Mary :D

drplasma64
09-09-2005, 09:28 AM
Mary, that is so awesome. Congratulations on your birthday and all your wonderful accomplishments.

Trekhawk
09-09-2005, 10:22 AM
Mary - well done and happy birthday. It sure looks like a pretty ride. :)

yellow
09-09-2005, 08:17 PM
It looks like you have some really wonderful places to ride from the pictures! What a perfect way to spend your birthday... I'm sure you will long remember the day. You are rockin' on that bike! Take good care of her and she'll be good to you for a very long time! Happy Bday a day late...may you have many more days as wonderful in the years to come.

y

P.S. Is it just me, or do we all feel like we are way more b***hin' than we were when we were in our 20s???

KSH
09-10-2005, 04:45 PM
That's awesome!

And... I can't believe you went that far on a hybrid! WOW! Great job!

Thanks for posting the pictures... such pretty scenery!

I always LOVE to workout on my Birthday... it reminds me that even though I am getting older... I am still strong and able to do anything I want!

mary9761
09-15-2005, 05:00 AM
thanks everyone,
I ended up with 3 metrics that week as I rode another that Saturday. I finished that one with 69 miles even. :D Something about that willow grove, I already mentioned that willows are my favorite tree and it seems to be a magical spot for me. I couldn't have PLANNED either of my coincidences :confused: that occured on riding and stopping at that beautiful spot.
The first day, my birthday, I just happened to stop to take photos since I hadn't on my way out. I look at my odometer 44 miles (I turned 44 that day). Saturday when I was riding through again and decided to stop for a moment and say hello, I look at my odometer.. 62.33 miles :eek: the EXACT moment I hit my metric for the day. Needless to say, I think next time I go through there, I'm going to ride the footbridge across the canal and sit a spell with my willows. :D
This coming Sunday I'll likely have myself another metric. I plan on at the least a 45 mile ride for the Katrina Relief benefit being sponsored by my favorite bike shop Bike Line in Carmel. I'll probably ride home from the event as well which will give me another 15-20 miles or so.
I do know that I'll plan on riding to see my willows again soon.

Bike Goddess
09-15-2005, 10:03 AM
By my figuring I think you have 5 more metrics and you'll be over a 1000! :D :D

May the countdown begin! :p :p :p :p

mary9761
09-15-2005, 11:51 AM
By my figuring I think you have 5 more metrics and you'll be over a 1000! :D :D

May the countdown begin! :p :p :p :p

As it were, I have some time off coming in a couple weeks. My DIL is going to deliver c-section Sept 27 and I've already been told that his other Grandma will be watching Tomas that day. My DIL doesn't want anyone but my son at the hospital with her this time as she thinks it was a bit of a circus the first time around. I don't know if I'll be watching my Grandson the next day or two before she comes home from the hospital yet.
She'll be off work for some time so I might as well take advantage of the time and hopefully good weather and crank up some miles. :D