PDA

View Full Version : No Panick Attacks This Time

tricat
09-07-2005, 12:06 PM
Well I’m proud to say I Did IT!!!!! I completed my last sprint triathlon of the season on Saturday and what a day! The weather was perfect, sunny but not humid, ideal conditions for racing and the water was warm for the swim.

I ran into a lady I met several years ago who was also doing the sprint – Sylvie you would remember her, she’s the one we ran into at LP and handed her the tissue telling her she would need it at the finish line. Anyway we swapped triathlon stories of the past summer and both agreed that we were very nervous about the swim. Turns out it was her friend that I accidentally cut off in the swim portion at the sprint in July where I had the panic attack. The lady said she didn’t mind since she was so happy to be with someone else at the back of the pack. I told her had she not been there I probably would of quit.
After speaking with other people in the 40 age group I was reassured that I was not the only tense athlete there.

I had very negative thoughts just before the start of the swim, i.e. (maybe I’m not cut out for this, do I need this kind of stress in my life, maybe I should just quit). The gun went off and I just kept telling myself to relax, all I had to do was swim. I waited until most of the athletes were in the water and then I was off. The first buoy came up quickly and I was surprised that I was so relaxed. I sighted every 4 to 7 strokes so as to not wander off the swim course and before I knew it the swim was over!!!!!! Anything after that was icing! I had a huge smile as I exited the water.

The bike was uneventful, at this point I just wanted to have fun. I waved to an elderly gentleman in a wheelchair watching the race, he waved back. I even had a few of the serious competitors cycle by me with words of encouragement. I passed one of the ladies that I spoke with on the beach just before the swim start.

On to the run and I was already very dehydrated at this point since I’m such a klutz and can’t manage to grab my water bottle while I’m on the bike, I obviously need to work on that! My stomach started to hurt but once I was at the turnaround and grabbed some Gatorade it seemed to pass and I actually passed two people – okey one was as old as Moses and was limping – but hey – that still counts! Another was a girl that seemed to walk more than run and I saw two more swim competitors who were within my age range that were behind me so that’s actually what kept me running, I didn’t want them to pass me. I passed Louise and she had a huge smile on her face, she was happy to have the swim over with. I couldn’t believe it – she’s in her 50’s and looks wonderful!

I was so happy to reach the finish, the announcer was the coach I worked with at the Ottawa Triathlon Club – I laughed as I crossed the finish line as he called my number but got my last name wrong so it was quite funny – he did apologize immediately.

So my dream is still alive and I’m anxious to go back to the race where I had the panic attack and redeem myself. Bring it on – I’m ready!!!!!!!!!!!

tricat

Trekhawk
09-07-2005, 12:25 PM
tricat - congratulations on the race. I love reading all the Tri reports and hearing how everyone is getting on. I find the fact that you mentioned women 40 and older doing the Tri an inspiration.

Keep the stories coming - Ill be cheering for you as I read along. :)

CorsairMac
09-07-2005, 01:31 PM
congrats Tricat! sounds like you had fun and isn't that what matters??!!

KSH
09-07-2005, 04:29 PM
WOW! That toally rocks! Congrats on making it through the swim!

See... you can do it! :D

jjules
12-14-2005, 05:52 PM
CONGRATS!! thats fantastic well done ! i cannot wait to read more xx.

DirtDiva
12-15-2005, 01:56 PM
Nice work tricat! :D

I must say, Jules, I do rather like your banana with attitude.