PDA

View Full Version : Really small road bikes are hard to find!

tinyt
03-21-2003, 07:10 AM
Hi Everyone! This is my first posting and I'm looking for some advice.
I am an avid mountain biker and I am looking to find a road bike to do some cardio training throughout the season. The problem I am having is that I am really small - 5'0 - and it is tough finding a frame small enough for me. I have looked at Trek WSD designs which look like the best option but since I only want to use this bike for training (mountain biking is my real passion), I don't want to spend over $1000 on it. Trek WSD designs are a bit pricey for me. I'm hoping to find a mix of Tiagra/105 components with a compact frame.

If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them...or if anyone knows where I might find a small used bike or any sell offs on old models I'd be interested in that too.

Thanks
Tiny T

goddess1222
03-21-2003, 09:49 AM
check the Terry site. or in know Kona makes bikes for smaller sized women.

have you checked Fuji?

sistinas
03-27-2003, 06:39 AM
Try the Jamis bikes - they make some small stock frames and generally have a good component spec for the price. Finding a dealer in your area might be difficult though.

Surly and Soma make small stock cyclocross bike frames (44cm), which you could easily put road tires on.

Bianchi has some small frames too - I ride an Eros and I'm 5'1".

... for some reason I only know about small steel frames, I'm sure there are some aluminum ones!

waterlilli
03-27-2003, 08:16 AM
Wylder has thier Queen of the road bike on super closeout right now, but HURRY, if you are interested.

newfsmith
03-27-2003, 04:58 PM
I'm just short of 5'0". My Terry hybrid with 2 24" wheels is very reasonable. I use the VeeRubber Fat Girl slicks and can go as fast on it as I can on my Terry Symmetry. The model I have has been discontinued, but the Susan B. is very similar. The fit for me was mind blowing, I'd never been on a bike that fit me before (and I had tried the Trek WSD at the time). It turned me into a cyclist. Another option is custom. I would consider Luna cycle ahead of the Rodriques, because they use better components. Luna makes a cyclocross bike that could really fill your training needs. Bike fit is everything. Right there is a good argument for going custom. The only other road bike that I tried that had the right fit for me was the Fuji Ace SE, but it only has Sora components so I passed on it. However, you might want to try their 2 newer WSD's, Next & Newest. I am happy with my Terry Symmetry, but it does look funny. If you can get past the looks you may want to try some of their road bikes.

tinyt
04-08-2003, 07:41 AM
Wow...thanks for all the replies!
I finally found one...
I ended up getting a Devinci Podium size XS. I compared the geometry to that of the Trex WSD size 43 and they were almost exactly the same. The store I went to (Spokes n slopes in Milton) took a couple of hours with me and made it a perfect fit - smaller stem, woman's seat, woman's specific handlebars .... it's great! Although with all the snow up here I haven't really tried it out all that much yet!

Thanks for all the advice!
Tinty T

skygayle
04-20-2003, 07:31 PM
Tiny T where did you find your bike and do you think you can find one of those pretty much in any city? How much was it and should I keep looking? I am getting very discouraged and frustrated with the bike hunting I want to be riding. Does it go fast?