PDA

View Full Version : New Illinois law protecting cyclists

tulip
07-21-2010, 07:42 AM
Governor Quinn Signs Legislation to Protect Bicyclists on Illinois Roadways (http://www.illinois.gov/PressReleases/ShowPressRelease.cfm?SubjectID=1&RecNum=8597)

zoom-zoom
07-21-2010, 11:16 AM
Nice to see that...though it's unfortunate that we need legislation to encourage drivers to do something that should be a matter of common-sense and not being an a-hole behind the wheel.

Melalvai
07-21-2010, 11:53 AM
Sometimes legislation is there to formalize common practices, like running a red light that hasn't responded to the cyclist. It's still important because it legitimizes the practice.

Congratulations, Illinois!

nscrbug
07-22-2010, 03:03 PM
I find it interesting that you can get fined $2,500 and up to a year in jail for threatening or throwing something at a cyclist on the road...BUT if you KILL a cyclist in IL, you can get off with an $85 citation...just as that old fella that ran down those 3 college girls in S. IL, killing 1 of them...did earlier this spring.

nscrbug
07-24-2010, 04:29 PM
Wow. I guess if a cyclist dies it couldn't be avoided.

How often do we hear of a cyclist dying where it couldn't have been avoided?

Hmm.

I know the story about it is posted somewhere on this forum (maybe do a search), and if I recall correctly...the old man crossed the center line and just plowed into these girls, head-on. Pretty sure I don't recall anything in the story about it being "unavoidable".

Bike Chick
07-25-2010, 04:38 AM
This tragic accident occurred in a neighboring county. The media didn't follow up with what happened to the driver so I sent the reporter an email a few weeks ago. We are all interested to know why it dropped off the radar. She told me that the local police have turned it over to the state police for investigation and nothing further has been done. I need to stay on her about following up with this--especially in light of the new law in Illinois.

Thorn
07-25-2010, 09:39 AM
And....this one just makes my blood boil...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/columnists/ct-talk-new-brotman-bike-20100719,0,127.column

Illinois has a long way to go, but then, the US has, alas, a long way to go...

Bike Chick
07-26-2010, 04:01 AM
This is terrible!!! I hadn't heard this one. Yes, Illinois has a long way to go but maybe this new law is a step in the right direction. We have some friends that are state police officers that didn't even know about the 3 feet law. How can we expect laws to be enforced when law enforcement isn't even aware of them?

Melalvai
07-26-2010, 06:43 PM
This is terrible!!! I hadn't heard this one. Yes, Illinois has a long way to go but maybe this new law is a step in the right direction. We have some friends that are state police officers that didn't even know about the 3 feet law. How can we expect laws to be enforced when law enforcement isn't even aware of them?
Columbia, MO did this great program a couple years ago called Operation Share the Road. The entire police force took the bicycle class. During October, police gave tickets to cyclists who were breaking laws: wrong way riding, running red lights and stop signs, riding at night without lights. Except if it was the last one, the cyclist had the option of either getting a ticket, or letting the ride-along volunteer install blinkies on his/her bike.

This was inspired by some bike classes getting interrupted by officers who thought they shouldn't be out on the roads, even though they weren't breaking any laws. Instead of getting confrontational, the instructors decided to do what they do best, which is educate the officers.

I think the free light program, but not the tickets, ended after October.

Anyway, we can't expect laws to be enforced if officers don't know what the laws are, so let's tell them what the laws are! In a non-confrontational and totally respectful way.