PDA

View Full Version : Holland Hundred

zoom-zoom
07-12-2010, 05:22 PM
Any other TEers riding on Sat.? This will be my first century...I'm really looking forward to it!

beccaB
07-13-2010, 06:09 AM
Yup! We did it last year also. It's a nice one-cheering squad at the pit stops, pretty vineyards, you gotta watch traffic in Saugatuck, it's a pretty crowded little town. Last year the we did the family camping thing at the state park, and that was really nice, but I didn't make reservations soon enough this time, so dh and I are staying at a hotel. The showers after the ride were very nice. There was some stuff going on at New Holland Brewery across from where you can pick up your packet the night before. This is actually one of my favorite rides. Some people with humor had painted sad faces on the pavement on hills.

beccaB
07-13-2010, 06:11 AM
Zoom-Zoom- looks like some winter ale might match you bike as well as the oberon!

zoom-zoom
07-13-2010, 08:09 AM
:D Yep, Saugatuck is kinda nuts. DH is one of the ride organizers and we've ridden parts of the route a few times, now. Luckily the heatwave from last week should have the freshly chip-sealed areas pretty smoothed-out.

I'm looking forward to the pancakes. We're leaving at 7am to make sure we get to them early. ;)

zoom-zoom
07-18-2010, 09:06 PM
How did everybody do? I had a blast...a hot, smelly, sweaty, dirty blast! Can't wait to do it again next year! :D

beccaB
07-19-2010, 08:02 AM
I really like that event, but I had a hard time between the winery and the next stop . I don't think I got the food part right, and probably didn't eat enough in the week before. I finished though, I got my second wind after the next to last rest stop. I had a harder time keeping up with my husband than usual, and felt a little frustrated at all the people passing me, frustrated with myself. I had told my husband that if it was longer than actual 100 I was going to stop at 100 and lay down in the middle of the road! But at that point the surface was that black tarry chip-seal stuff, so I soldiered on.I liked the party the night before at New Holland Brewery, and the kids from Hope College did a very nice job with the snacks and cheering. The cheering part is what I have missed from my running days. In a lot of ways I think a century ride is harder than a marathon. We did one the week before also, and I think last year's Holland hundred was cooler. That might have had an effect on me, the heat that is. I drank about a gallon during the ride.

zoom-zoom
07-19-2010, 01:22 PM
I really like that event, but I had a hard time between the winery and the next stop . I don't think I got the food part right, and probably didn't eat enough in the week before. I finished though, I got my second wind after the next to last rest stop. I had a harder time keeping up with my husband than usual, and felt a little frustrated at all the people passing me, frustrated with myself. I had told my husband that if it was longer than actual 100 I was going to stop at 100 and lay down in the middle of the road! But at that point the surface was that black tarry chip-seal stuff, so I soldiered on.I liked the party the night before at New Holland Brewery, and the kids from Hope College did a very nice job with the snacks and cheering. The cheering part is what I have missed from my running days. In a lot of ways I think a century ride is harder than a marathon. We did one the week before also, and I think last year's Holland hundred was cooler. That might have had an effect on me, the heat that is. I drank about a gallon during the ride.

Yeah, there wasn't much with protein at the winery and I needed that. PB didn't sound good. I felt better during the last 25 miles than I did during the previous 25.

Interesting that you find the century harder. I ran 3 marathons and all just about killed me, even though I ran 1800 miles last year. I can't seem to keep the calf cramps at bay no matter what I do. By about the 16 mile mark I know they are coming, then around 20-22 they are forcing me to walk as they take over my muscle function.

I drank a lot, too. And yesterday, as well. It took me 24 hours to feel hydrated, again.

beccaB
07-19-2010, 05:45 PM
I haven't run a marathon since I was 26, and I'm 48 now, but I do miss the crowds and the cheering. I did some big events, Marine Corps marathon being one, and there were a lot of spectators. The thing about running was that I would end up going on auto pilot. You can't do that on a bike, for some reason the cars are more dangerous to cyclists. I am going to spend the next 2 weeks eating all the right stuff for our next century on Aug 1st.

zoom-zoom
07-19-2010, 06:01 PM
Ahhh...all 3 of my marathons were relatively small (Milwaukee, Bayshore, GR). Maybe that's why I haven't gotten too attached to crowd support. Fifth-Third Riverbank Run 25k is the largest race I've ever run. Crowds kinda irritate me--not during a race, but before and after. I want to get in, run, and get out without too much hassle.