PDA

View Full Version : Gym Drama

Dogmama
07-10-2010, 03:55 AM
I had to give up my evening spin teaching for personal reasons. I started getting emails from students who wanted to know when I would be coming back because they hated the replacement. I had not planned on returning soon, but felt like I'd let a lot of people down. I told them I'd teach an early morning (6AM) class 2X a week if there was interest. One student offered to pay my salary for 6 weeks until interest in the class was built up.

Adding a morning class was discussed while I was still teaching and the fitness director nixed it (said not enough interest & budget issues.) Now, some students went over her head and talked to her boss. It's getting ugly & I KNOW if I go back, I'll have the wrath of the fitness director to contend with (she has already emailed me.) These two players are going to discuss it on Monday & get back to me.

So, here's the question: Is gym drama the norm? My main goal is to teach spinning - not to become a minor star in a soap opera.

OakLeaf
07-10-2010, 11:18 AM
I don't think it's in every workplace. I've worked at places that have been really political and places that were not.

I think since you'd already quit, there doesn't seem to be much reason to put yourself back in the middle of an ugly situation.

Crankin
07-12-2010, 04:03 AM
This is why I quit the gym and why I stopped teaching fitness classes.
Too much drama.

indysteel
07-12-2010, 06:13 AM
Ugh; how ridiculous. It sounds like the fitness director is taking this way too personally--for no good reason. If you want to start teaching again, I'd try to find another gym.

Irulan
07-12-2010, 07:08 AM
sounds like middle school.

Dogmama
07-13-2010, 04:35 PM
I'm still getting emails from students who want me to teach an early morning class. I'm willing to do that, especially because the administration won't be there at 6AM!!! One person offered to pay my salary for 6 weeks. Yet, they want to do a "survey" to see what interest there would be in a 6AM or 6:30 AM class and what days of the week they want. It's insane. Just post the class, let me teach it & if it fails, so be it. That's what they do for all of the aerobic classes - I don't know why spin is different.

Bottom line is that I don't want to let my students down. They really liked my ***-kicking classes. I work hard to put together sets that will be challenging but give variety and a complete workout. I think they recognize that. I've been to other teachers where all they do is play techno music and give little instruction. Yuck. Never knew that an hour could drag by so slowly - except for 4PM on a Friday...:p

I built up a nice little cohort of spinners & they've said they want an early morning class. So, assuming that the crap is minimal, I'll probably teach it. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only person who has experienced gym drama. It's nuts. Never thought egos would be so huge in a gym fercryinoutloud. :rolleyes:

Zeek
07-21-2010, 08:56 AM
Oh girl, let me tell you, drama in the gyms is definitely the norm! Lots of egos, lots of immaturity, not much professionalism (only if you're lucky), gossip GALORE!

I have left 2 teaching positions (spinning) due to TOO MUCH DRAMA. I am at a gym now (have been there 2 years) and I do NOT work out there, I only teach my class and then I leave. I have a nice group of regulars but I don't tolerate gossip about other instructors and I do not take other instructors' classes (these are things I prefer not to do personally--not saying it's the right thing to do for everyone--but I found for me, it works).

Hope everything works out for you. You sound like a great instructor. Good luck!

Dogmama
07-22-2010, 04:40 AM
I am at a gym now (have been there 2 years) and I do NOT work out there, I only teach my class and then I leave. I have a nice group of regulars but I don't tolerate gossip about other instructors and I do not take other instructors' classes (these are things I prefer not to do personally--not saying it's the right thing to do for everyone--but I found for me, it works).

Hope everything works out for you. You sound like a great instructor. Good luck!

Same here. I work out at another gym & just show up to teach at this gym. Glad to hear somebody else does the same thing. I don't take other instructor's classes at this gym either.

One thing I will do - though - is when students ask me why I don't do contraindicated moves - like hovering, push ups, etc., I explain how these moves can cause injury. I don't diss the instructor, in fact, I am always careful to interject "we all teach differently." It may get back to the instructor but I don't care. I'm there for the students, not to win a gym popularity contest.

Miranda
07-22-2010, 06:58 PM
lmao... omg... drama drama drama... for sure!:eek:

Yep the same story for me with the couple gyms I teach at.

And what I say about the contra-indicated stuff the other instructors do that I do not is: my certification is through Spinning... and I teach what I'm certified to do etc.

I don't dare diss the other instructors either. I just say, well... if that's working for them, and the students in their class, then great for them:rolleyes:. BUT, when I teach... this is how class is run;).

Good luck:).

p.s. oh... I got a cult of texting peeps that follows me like that too... compliment & curse both lol.

Dogmama
07-22-2010, 07:19 PM
p.s. oh... I got a cult of texting peeps that follows me like that too... compliment & curse both lol.

Texting...oh my. My people email. Texting would be too much of an invasion of my privacy. Just my feelings...

Resi
07-26-2010, 04:35 AM
Good spin instructors are rare and I do understand the students... But I would not get involved, this is your decision what ever reason.
I know how this goes, that's why I am not going to teach in the gym.

Oh it just reminds my soooooo much on my professional ballet career...

Good luck on that one

Resi