PDA

View Full Version : Road shoes & helmet suggestions

cusepack
09-02-2005, 06:43 PM
So, I'm waiting for my Trek 2100 to be assembled, and in the meantime, I need to purchase some shoes and helmet. I normally wear a ladies size 11 in running shoes (wide, also), men's size 9.5. I would appreciate any suggestions . . . I would like to find a pair of shoes under $100, as I still need to purchase a helmet - suggestions on that too would be appreciated:)

You know, this is an expensive little sport . . . between the bike, clothes, gloves and all the other goodies, I've spent far more than I thought I would. Thank goodness I only have to replace my running shoes every 3 months!!!

Kathryn

Nanci
09-03-2005, 03:16 AM
You could look for a closeout/last year's model helmet like at Nashbar. I have a Giro that I like a lot, but I think anything in the $80-$100 range is going to be very comfortable. As long as you don't crash, you can keep it until you get tired of it, and if you _do_ crash, the better it fits, the better protected you are.

Sierra Trading Post has Sidis, MTB shoes for like $60 and Road for $100, regularly $140. Closeouts. The womens MTB shoes are small sizes, but maybe the mens? I would recommend getting the best, most comfortable shoes you can afford. I've had my Shimanos, about $80? for five years I think, and they are like new. I've bought a ton of shoes mail order- I just order a couple different sizes and send back the ones that don't work out.

Sidi, on their website, gives this advice for fitting shoes: Go at the end of the day. Try on your size, wear them for 20 minutes to give them a chance to warm up to your feet. Then try on the next size up and down, also for 20 minutes.

Nanci

Trekhawk
09-03-2005, 09:26 AM
Im with Nanci I have a Giro helmet and love it. Also wear Sidi shoes and love them too.

DeniseGoldberg
09-03-2005, 10:39 AM
Congrats on the new bike!

I wear Sidi Dominator mountain bike shoes for road cycling, and a Giro helmet.

But the choice of brands and designs really depends on you, your needs, and the size and shape of your head and your feet. For example, I have a really high arch, and I want my cycling shoes to be very stiff. There are more shoes out there that I can't get on my feet than shoes that fit, and it happens that the Sidis both fit me very well and have a very stiff sole. So questions for you - what brand fits your feet well? What are your desires as far as stiffness, type of material, etc.?

For a helmet - I believe all of the helmets currently on the market are certified, so your criteria needs to be more around fit and comfort. Giros work well for me from a shape and fit standpoint, but there are other brands that don't fit me. And for other riders the Giros don't work but other brands do. I'd recommend that you try several brands and then several styles within a brand that fits you well to find your ideal helmet.

While I do buy a lot online, I would recommend for a first purchase of shoes and helmets that you get out to a store and try them on. For a second purchase, absolutely go online if that's your style (as it is mine). But for a good comparison the first time around I'd recommend finding a shop with a good selection to try.

--- Denise

cusepack
09-03-2005, 03:33 PM
Thanks for all the great advice. I like the Giro's as well and will probably go with that. Only problem - my LBS only carries the top of the line Giro's - in particular, Lance's helmet - he told me he can order me any other Giro I want, but that since Lance's helmet is his best seller, that's what he offers in house. Do any of you gals that wear Giro's also wear a ponytail? I put my hair in a ponytail with a scrunchie and am hoping it will fit comfortably with a Giro helmet. I tried on a Trek helmet and it felt a bit low on my forehead yet fit good everywhere else - I have a feeling this is not going to be a simple purchase for me!!

With regards to shoes, I may have to go to men's . . . what I may do is visit a few shops and try on, then order via internet - the prices are soooo much better online. Inasmuch as I want to support my LBS, I'm trying to save when I can.

I had originally planned on doing all of this last weekend (before the bike arrived), but when the Hurricane hit Miami, power was out all over (including my home) and everything was put on hold. Now I'm trying to play catch-up and between the excitement of the new bike and trying to get all my gear, I'm running on pure adrenaline!!

alpinerabbit
09-04-2005, 09:59 AM
Hi all, I'm new here....

I got a road bike that currently has look pedals on (it's waiting for me at the store) - I am thinking of switching to STD pedals because I'd rather wear MTB shoes, my SO wears those too and they just look more comfortable.

I am under the impression there are no MTB shoes that take look cleats (?) - any suggestions?

DeniseGoldberg
09-04-2005, 11:31 AM
I'd suggest asking your LBS to change the pedals before you pick up the bike. In my experience they will give you a credit for the new equipment that you take off the bike - essentially using that credit toward the different part that you want. That would allow you to put SPD or other recessed cleat pedals on the bike without spending a lot more than you already did on the bike.

--- Denise

alpinerabbit
09-07-2005, 01:00 PM
Well, the looks it is :) with shoes from Gaerne. I'll let you know how they work.

wish me luck! bl@@dy difficult to enter but I'll work on it :eek: